Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 07:33
I finished undergrad in three years, but Stanford won't let me leave the 4th-year GPA blank. Should I put in a zero, or does that indicate that I failed the semester? Alternately, I did take courses over the summer to finish up; would that count as a fourth year?
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 01:43
Any idea on appx when would the Round 2 interview invites go out?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 12:09
@dudeascending I would be keen to know the answer to this as well as I have the same problem.

It might be worth sending a note to the admissions office if there is no information available on the website?

There is also a Round 2 webinar on 5 January - I got the invite yesterday - so, if you are not planning to submit by then, you can always ask on the webinar.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q51 V42

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 18:34
Admitted R1 class of 2016. ty
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 00:09
Hello all,
Had a question on Joint degree offerings of Stanford.
I am a prospective MBA applicant and will be applying in Round 2 to the Stanford GSB's MBA program.

I have interests in Entrepreneurship in Education field post MBA. I found that GSB offers a Joint MBA/MA Education degree in collaboration with GSE, and thought of applying to the same during my application process to GSB.

However, I wanted to know whether the Joint degree is binding at the time of acceptance (If I am accepted to GSB) ? I.e. If I realize that I just want the MBA degree and not the joint degree during the first year at Stanford, can I pull out of the MA degree requirement?
Manager
Manager

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 11:41
So, the R2 deadline is looming and I am getting nervous, hence the dumb question.

One of my recommenders says that he is asked not to exceed 3 pages, double-spaced, using 12 point font (Arial, Courier, Times New Roman). My question is does Stanford expect the recommendation to be written in 12 point font and doubled spaced? If so, then my recommender can only write about 600 words (plus it looks enormous on the page!).

I told you it was (probably) a dumb question but I would like to check with anyone who has submitted or is aware of this issue.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 10:55
dcr wrote:
So, the R2 deadline is looming and I am getting nervous, hence the dumb question.

One of my recommenders says that he is asked not to exceed 3 pages, double-spaced, using 12 point font (Arial, Courier, Times New Roman). My question is does Stanford expect the recommendation to be written in 12 point font and doubled spaced? If so, then my recommender can only write about 600 words (plus it looks enormous on the page!).

I told you it was (probably) a dumb question but I would like to check with anyone who has submitted or is aware of this issue.

Thank you.

Yes, Stanford's instructions are explicit in saying that recommendations need to be written in 12-point font, double-spaced, and a max of three pages. See here: https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/m ... commenders

I'm surprised he can't fit more into the letter. I just did a test with a random document, and it clocks in at over 1,000 words. Are his margins huge? I'm using 1" margins all around.
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q51 V42

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 12:30
I have to ask, no FB group for class of 2016 yet or just that I haven't found it?
Manager
Manager

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 00:38
dudeascending wrote:
dcr wrote:

Thank you.

Yes, Stanford's instructions are explicit in saying that recommendations need to be written in 12-point font, double-spaced, and a max of three pages. See here: https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/m ... commenders

I'm surprised he can't fit more into the letter. I just did a test with a random document, and it clocks in at over 1,000 words. Are his margins huge? I'm using 1" margins all around.

Erm, so it seems that 'double spaced' means the space after a period, and not the spacing between lines.

This caused some genuine confusion with my recommender (and is a fun reminder of the subtle differences between US and UK English). I told you it was a dumb question.

Man, I need some rest! Roll on 8 January!!

Best of luck everyone
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 29

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 00:47
dcr wrote:
dudeascending wrote:
dcr wrote:

Thank you.

Erm, so it seems that 'double spaced' means the space after a period, and not the spacing between lines.

This caused some genuine confusion with my recommender (and is a fun reminder of the subtle differences between US and UK English). I told you it was a dumb question.

Man, I need some rest! Roll on 8 January!!

Best of luck everyone

I don't know where you got your definition from.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 16550.aspx

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-space

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/doubspac.htm

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Manager
Manager

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 04:01
knightofdelta wrote:
dudeascending wrote:

I don't know where you got your definition from.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 16550.aspx

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-space

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/doubspac.htm

Thanks @knightofdelta.

This appears to be a specific requirement for Stanford so I am glad to have highlighted it. I don't think recommenders in general are going to read the instructions that carefully so hope it helps someone else on here.

(And I am pretty sure one of my recommenders did not double space the lines!)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 13:32
Probably a stupid question here...I've always wanted to be on the west coast and have a great base of friends and relatives there. Unfortunately I grew up in the midwest and have been stuck here ever since. Obviously I think Stanford would put me in the best position to make that move. Would it be helpful to discuss this in additional information section? I could see how it would be irrelevant and even annoying to the adcom.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 14:24
unlikelylongshot wrote:
Probably a stupid question here...I've always wanted to be on the west coast and have a great base of friends and relatives there. Unfortunately I grew up in the midwest and have been stuck here ever since. Obviously I think Stanford would put me in the best position to make that move. Would it be helpful to discuss this in additional information section? I could see how it would be irrelevant and even annoying to the adcom.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't; I don't think it's relevant here. I could see how it might be helpful elsewhere, but definitely not for Stanford.
Manager
Manager

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 12:02
dudeascending wrote:
I finished undergrad in three years, but Stanford won't let me leave the 4th-year GPA blank. Should I put in a zero, or does that indicate that I failed the semester? Alternately, I did take courses over the summer to finish up; would that count as a fourth year?

This was addressed in the webinar this morning. Derrick Bolton said to use your common sense. It is OK to put a zero in the 4th year (if the system won't let you leave it blank) and add a comment in the additional information section. As they will be reviewing your transcripts anyway, it will be obvious to them that you studied for three years and did not fail the semester.

For my application I am going to put a zero in the 4th year but not add a comment.

Hope it helps. Sleep easy my friend and best of luck!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 29

Premium Member
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 12:24
dcr wrote:
dudeascending wrote:

This was addressed in the webinar this morning. Derrick Bolton said to use your common sense. It is OK to put a zero in the 4th year (if the system won't let you leave it blank) and add a comment in the additional information section. As they will be reviewing your transcripts anyway, it will be obvious to them that you studied for three years and did not fail the semester.

For my application I am going to put a zero in the 4th year but not add a comment.

Can we possibly get a transcript or a recording of the webinar? I knew there was going to be one this morning, and searched the website but I couldn't get the information.

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 13:12
dcr wrote:
dudeascending wrote:

Thanks--that makes a lot of sense! Also, it turns out that you can use alphabetical characters in that field, so I ended up putting in "N/A."
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 13:33
This post received
KUDOS
knightofdelta wrote:
dcr wrote:
dudeascending wrote:

Can we possibly get a transcript or a recording of the webinar? I knew there was going to be one this morning, and searched the website but I couldn't get the information.

I don't know. It went on for over one and a half hours, and I don't know if Stanford usually releases a recording and/or transcript. There is another webinar at 5.30pm Pacific Time today.

There were a lot of the same questions - plus some questions specific to individual applicants - but three points that stuck with me.

- Derrick recommended to submit your application after all three recommendations are submitted (assuming you will still meet the deadline). This will "give you control" in case you need to send a reminder to or delete a recommender altogether
- The suggested word count per essay is for suggestion only. They don't count words and understand that you might be +/- 10%, but they will notice if you are way over the suggested word count.
- The Stanford GSB front office will be open from 8am Pacific Time on Monday for questions.

If you have any other questions I am sure there are others here who were on the call.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 15:12
I dropped the ball on registering a day in advance for the webinar, but filled out the google form in case they haven't yet sent out the information. If anyone is on the later webinar please PM me with how to access it! I'd very much appreciate it!
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 18:28
dcr wrote:

- Derrick recommended to submit your application after all three recommendations are submitted (assuming you will still meet the deadline). This will "give you control" in case you need to send a reminder to or delete a recommender altogether

I have a problem with the last recommendation and pretty much in a desperate mode. Does Stanford allows for one recommendation to arrive with a slight delay after the deadline? I'm very worried that all my hard work will be gone because of one recommendation :cry: :(

Thank you, folks and good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 21

Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
App finally submitted :) Good luck everyone !
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016!   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 01:17