Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [22]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [14]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [13]
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
Kudos
To those of you who have gotten in (and are 100% sure you're going to matriculate) please notify the schools you will be rejecting ASAP. Given that you got into GSB there is a strong likelihood that you will get into these other schools as well. By notifying the schools quickly you may be saving someone from the wait-list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,

I'll be attending the GSB next year (class of 2015). When I was applying I didn't know any current students so I had a tough time getting a sense of the day to day experience at the GSB. There wasn't much information out there other than the official stuff on the website. So, to help the next generation of applicants, I have started a blog to share my experiences before/during my two years at the GSB so that everyone can get an insider's view (well, a soon-to-be insider). I can't post URLs here, but my blog is backinthebay2015 DOT wordpress DOT com. If there's anything specific you want me to post about leave a comment on the blog and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck with applications!!!
backinthebay2015
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with the less optimistic view. I cannot help but feel that Stanford is about to cause me some emotional pain, but this is how I'm coping (this is a venting post).

I thought I had a solid profile, particularly fitted for GSB, and would be able to have a choice between HBS (further consideration) & Stanford (nothing yet). This has not only been humbling, but also enlightening and will probably be a positive experience afterwards. As rejection piles up, stress and expectation lowers. Each time it becomes clearer to me, that partially I was just trying to get a star on my forehead that said "well done chap, you got in, you are part of the club".
Each failure is a remainder that I have to keep fighting and that no matter where I get in or what I do, it is still all about me. It is still about my choices in life, my capabilities, and my determination to achieve anything I want, that have led me to where I am right now... so I am less worried about some admissions committee finding me fit or not for their program.

And I will not deny that there is a certain childish anger along with the disappointment, but anger is positive if you know how to canalize it. For me it is particularly useful as motivation, and I am driven to prove them wrong, and I will do it for me. It is getting easier for me to get detached from these "big names" and focus on the goal rather than the means.

This might not have been very coherent or helpful, but at least I feel better now!

Regards everyone and the best of luck! If they don't choose us, then let's prove them why they should have!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
michaelk8 wrote:
There are some things other than your credentials, things you can't control at all, that play into the decision making process. Bottom line is that when you hit submit you should be hopeful of course but realize this is an extremely competitive process and be ready for a rejection. There are no guarantees in life...As long as you see it as their loss, you are fine - I worry for those who beat themselves up. If you have spent your life doing all those amazing things you mentioned then I think GSB should be worried, and not you. You will be successful no matter what.

Wise words michaelk8. I applied to H/S/W in 2010 and again to H/S in 2012. 760 GMAT / top 10% GPA / IB and Biz Dev experience at large companies / Lots of extracurriculars including co-founding a small organization and Board positions on multiple non-profits. I was interviewed at Stanford and waitlisted at Wharton the first try and outright dinged from Harvard and Stanford my second time around. At the time, I was absolutely crushed and devastated. In some sick, convoluted way, it was almost as though I needed to get into school to feel my successes were validated. No one can take your achievements away from you and if you happen to be in the 99.9999999% of the world population that does not get into Stanford, then that does not make you any less successful.

The reality is, admissions committees make decisions on very little information. They are looking for "check boxes" and if for some reason your application deviates even the slightest, or if your recommender checked off "top third" on one attribute instead of "top 5%", or if the admissions person was simply sleepy/cranky/tired the day they reviewed your file, then it may just very well be that the stars aren't aligned and it wasn't meant to be. As michaelk8 said, in many ways, things are out of your hands and you just need to hope for the best.

The irony is my career has taken off as a result of not going back to school. I've been promoted a few times and will be receiving full funding to do an EMBA if I choose to. You just never know what the future holds...and in some cases you might just be better off than you think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [11]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos