Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 16:57
dougfernando wrote:
I am self-funded and need the loan too. However, due to tax return procedures in Brazil, I applied only for the summer quarter yet.

How was the interview? When did you send the docs/forms?

I sent in my docs by Jan 15th, deadline of R2. Phone interviewed on 26th, have not heard decision yet. Guess either on waiting list or rejected.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 18:15
estherpapa wrote:
I sent in my docs by Jan 15th, deadline of R2. Phone interviewed on 26th, have not heard decision yet. Guess either on waiting list or rejected.

I wouldn't worry too much yet...

The R1 folks had a mid-October deadline -- I had mine in around Oct 1. But didn't get my interview scheduled until mid-December. When I went to visit campus in late January, they said they had still only filled about 55% of the goal class size. So there are clearly folks that have yet to be accepted.

Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.52
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 16:05
yes I believe they are still filling some of the spots. I submitted my application beginning Jan, interviewed jan 31st and was told that half the class was yet to be filled. I only received my call a couple of weeks ago.....you should not be stressed as yet.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 06:44
Dear all,
I need some advice and I am coming to you with some hope to get answers. I have been thinking of taking an eMBA for a while now, yet I was never conviced by the format of this type of program. I have discovered recentely the Stanford Sloan MS program and was wondering if my profile could fit.
I am 37, have 12 years experience in financial services industry (derivatives brokerage and prime clearing services for one of the world's leading company), 5 years as a global manager (across Asia, Europe and Americas). I have a successful track record with quick progression. I am from Morroco and live in Paris.
I will quit my job in a few months as I need to refocus on the path I want to follow and to be honest, I am very keen to set a venture. Entrepreneurship is really what I want.
Considering these elements, do you guys (i) that my profile could fit, and (ii) that not having a job at the time of subscription is prohibitive?
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
C.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
I need some advice and I am coming to you with some hope to get answers. I have been thinking of taking an eMBA for a while now, yet I was never conviced by the format of this type of program. I have discovered recentely the Stanford Sloan MS program and was wondering if my profile could fit.
I am 37, have 12 years experience in financial services industry (derivatives brokerage and prime clearing services for one of the world's leading company), 5 years as a global manager (across Asia, Europe and Americas). I have a successful track record with quick progression. I am from Morroco and live in Paris.
I will quit my job in a few months as I need to refocus on the path I want to follow and to be honest, I am very keen to set a venture. Entrepreneurship is really what I want.
Considering these elements, do you guys (i) that my profile could fit, and (ii) that not having a job at the time of subscription is prohibitive?
C.

Hi there,
I think you have the right profile to apply! Right experience, an industry that is well represented in the class. And the fact that you want to start a new venture points to the GSB for sure!
My advise would be to still keep your job until you apply. Or you should have a really good reason why you quit, and explain what you are doing since you left! Giving it a shot at your own venture might be a compelling story! (and you'd learn so much doing it)
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 10:05
cyril94115 wrote:
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
C.

Hi there,
I think you have the right profile to apply! Right experience, an industry that is well represented in the class. And the fact that you want to start a new venture points to the GSB for sure!
My advise would be to still keep your job until you apply. Or you should have a really good reason why you quit, and explain what you are doing since you left! Giving it a shot at your own venture might be a compelling story! (and you'd learn so much doing it)

Totally agree with Cyril... Don't quit your job if you don't need to... Worst case, you could end up with no job and no school admittances... No need to do that to yourself.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15 (S)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
NewCardinal wrote:
cyril94115 wrote:
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
C.

Hi there,

Totally agree with Cyril... Don't quit your job if you don't need to... Worst case, you could end up with no job and no school admittances... No need to do that to yourself.

I'm going to take a slightly different stance.

First, you certainly sound like a fit for the program, so apply.

Second, know that Stanford applauds risk taking, particularly when the intention is to drive change. So I don't think that quitting your job to work on a new venture will hurt you. That is what I did. In fact, I think that it would be difficult to interview as a candidate that doesn't enjoy their job and has a venture idea, but is unwilling to commit to it. If you are quitting just to take a sabbatical, that could be problematic (unless your going to do something really cool like climb everest).

One piece of advice - which is particularly important if you do decide to leave your job - I believe it is essential to schedule a campus/class visit and a face-to-face interview with the admissions staff. I did so and I feel like it help tremendously as it allowed me to explain my position and discuss my new venture. In fact, I don't believe I would have been admitted without the interview. Cyril is right, your industry experience is well represented. But, I would assume it is also one of the most competitive for admittance.

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 08:37
Thank you very much for your replies. It is very helpfull.
I am planning on coming to SF this summer. In order to meet the admission staff, should I just call the number (on their internet site) or do you have a better suggestion?
Many thx
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 09:27
claudayst wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies. It is very helpfull.
I am planning on coming to SF this summer. In order to meet the admission staff, should I just call the number (on their internet site) or do you have a better suggestion?
Many thx

just call that number.
Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014   [#permalink] 17 May 2013, 09:27