Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 221 [3] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 22:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (02:08) correct 53% (01:14) wrong based on 1202 sessions
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mau5 on 28 Jul 2013, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the Question
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1561 [9] , given: 249

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a stro [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The tagging may include SV number agreement, and conjunction, which are also important things tested here. Starfish is treated as plural here as can be seen from the plural verb have in the non-underlined part

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and--- [color=#0000FF]it seems as if the plural starfish is pronouned by the first, singular it; in addition in an active voice sentence, the use of by is improper
[/color]
B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and ------- seems ok with the SV problem avoided altogether. Here the it should logically refer to the arm. correct choice

C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating, -----use of by is improper in an active voice setting. It should be with the animal rather than by the animal; overcompensating, growing is improper co-ordination. There should be an and in between

D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,’---use of they means that the starfish themselves are replaced; over compensating should be followed by and

E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating, --- in a passive voice we need to use by rather than with ; in addition overcompensating should be followed by and

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a stro [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
The tagging may include SV number agreement, and conjunction, which are also important things tested here. Starfish is treated as plural here as can be seen from the plural verb have in the non-underlined part

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and--- [color=#0000FF]it seems as if the plural starfish is pronouned by the first, singular it; in addition in an active voice sentence, the use of by is improper
[/color]
B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and ------- seems ok with the SV problem avoided altogether. Here the it should logically refer to the arm. correct choice

C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating, -----use of by is improper in an active voice setting. It should be with the animal rather than by the animal; overcompensating, growing is importer co-ordination. There should be an and in between

D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,’---use of they means that the starfish themselves are replaced; over compensating should be followed by and

E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating, --- in a passive voice we need to use by rather than with ; in addition overcompensating should be followed by and

daagh,
pls calrify the following doubts for the point C:-
"use of by is improper in an active voice" what's wrong with - sometimes by the starfish overcompensating?? and following the same analogy - The soldiers follow the orders of their seniors, sometimes by the soldier ferociously, crossing the expectations of the seniors.

"overcompensating should be followed by and" as per Ron (Thursday with Ron), and should only be used when two events are mutually independent and are not depended on the occurrence of each another or when the events happened in the same chronology. In the said case, don't you think that the clause "sometimes by the animal overcompensating" is acting as a modifier modifying the the act of starfish growing an extra arm or two?

your insight on the above will be highly appreciated.
Any other experts are also welcome to enumerate on the same

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1561 [2] , given: 249

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a stro [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The soldiers follow the orders of their seniors, sometimes by the soldier ferociously, crossing the expectations of the seniors.—this sentence may not pass the test of modification; but what will be acceptable is --- The soldiers follow the orders of their seniors, sometimes ferociously crossing the expectations of the seniors. You can see the impact of the unnecessary intrusion of the preposition by. Similarly in our text, overcompensating, and growing are modifications of strong regenerative ability and not growing. Growing is another parallel modification along overcompensating. Hence, when we say the animal overcompensating, it becomes a present participle modifier, while when we say by the animal overcompensating, we in fact say by the animal’s overcompensating, and the term becomes a gerund.

We may perhaps use past participle to describe this situation; -sometimes overcompensated by the animal- but we must also ensure that the other things are parallel too.

I am unable to comment upon Ron’s view and context. But as far as I see, overcompensating and growing are two independent and parallel features of re-generation and hence we do need to use the and

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 07:56
I fail this question

"overcompensating" and " growing" are not independent actions and the use of "and" is not suitable. A and B are out
the 2 actions are of the same event. comma+doing is used not "and"

I am confused. pls, help
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 08:33
thangvietnam wrote:
I fail this question

"overcompensating" and " growing" are not independent actions and the use of "and" is not suitable. A and B are out

I am confused. pls, help

same I crossed B because I thought growing had to modify overcompensate otherwise it does not make sense to have the verb "overcompensate" alone like that. Can somebody explain? And also would it be possible to explain what is exactly is wrong with E? Thx !
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 103

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
Darmody wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
I fail this question

I am confused. pls, help

same I crossed B because I thought growing had to modify overcompensate otherwise it does not make sense to have the verb "overcompensate" alone like that. Can somebody explain? And also would it be possible to explain what is exactly is wrong with E? Thx !

Let's Focus on B and E
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,

1 Usage of sometimes : meaning in E is changed, as if sometimes with the animal
Sometimes should come near what it is modifying...they replace it that results something

2. and should separate two different v-ing modifiers...
when we say IC1 , and IC2 then only it means IC1 and IC2 are independent
but when there is a list with common subject we can simply write sub X and Y
when there is a list with 3 or more in the list we need comma + and => x,y, and Z else X and Y

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 07:00
macjas wrote:

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,

(A) Here the use of it is ambiguous........
(B)use of it is correct
(C)here "and" is missing and placement of sometimes is wrong
(D)overcompensating,growing should be overcompensating and growing,Use of they is ambiguous
(E)overcompensating,growing should be overcompensating and growing

B is correct.If i am wrong in analyzing answer choice`s plz inform ne
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 08:34
In B) "with" is a preposition, then why it's initiating a clause, I heard about only prepositional phrases not clauses. Is it correctly used in this case ?
Kindly clarify.
Thanks

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1198 [4] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
PiyushK wrote:
In B) "with" is a preposition, then why it's initiating a clause, I heard about only prepositional phrases not clauses. Is it correctly used in this case ?
Kindly clarify.
Thanks

Hi Piyushk

The correct sentence is:

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, [and if one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, ] with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

The bold part is modifier. The short form of the sentence is: Starfish have a strong regenerative ability with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two

"with" is technically connected to "have a strong regenerative ability" . Hence, "with" does not initiate a clause.

So, B is correct.

Hope it clarifies.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 14:45
pqhai wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Kindly clarify.
Thanks

Hi Piyushk

The correct sentence is:

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, [and if one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, ] with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

The bold part is modifier. The short form of the sentence is: Starfish have a strong regenerative ability with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two

"with" is technically connected to "have a strong regenerative ability" . Hence, "with" does not initiate a clause.

So, B is correct.

Hope it clarifies.

Hi pqhai, I'm sorry but that part is NOT a modifer: if you remove it, the whole sentence does not make sense; and moreover what does it modify?

It starts with "and" and it's a clause.

The part "with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two." explains how a lost arm is replaced, it refers to the preceding clause. This also points to the fact that the preceding part is not a modifier: Starfish have a strong regenerative ability with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two (of what?)

PiyushK I am not good with technical names but this is an official question, so everything is 100% correct.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 21:02
Zarrolou wrote:
pqhai wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Kindly clarify.
Thanks

Hi Piyushk

The correct sentence is:

So, B is correct.

Hope it clarifies.

Hi pqhai, I'm sorry but that part is NOT a modifer: if you remove it, the whole sentence does not make sense; and moreover what does it modify?

It starts with "and" and it's a clause.

The part "with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two." explains how a lost arm is replaced, it refers to the preceding clause. This also points to the fact that the preceding part is not a modifier: Starfish have a strong regenerative ability with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two (of what?)

PiyushK I am not good with technical names but this is an official question, so everything is 100% correct.

Thanks Zarrolou for correcting me. Probably, I got the wrong meaning of the phrase "with.....", cause I thought it modifies "ability".
Many thanks. I appreciate!

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 03:21
The reason I got this question wrong is because of the whole "it" reference as instructed by MGMAT books. I opted out "B" because I thought that "it" cannot refer to arm because the two words are too close to each other. As a result, I chose "C" but I understand now why it is wrong.

Can anyone please explain how can "it" refer to "arm" being that close?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1138 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
Baracuda123 wrote:
The reason I got this question wrong is because of the whole "it" reference as instructed by MGMAT books. I opted out "B" because I thought that "it" cannot refer to arm because the two words are too close to each other. As a result, I chose "C" but I understand now why it is wrong.

Consider the sentence with C:

C they(plural=Starfish) lose one arm they quickly replace it(=the arm), sometimes by the animal overcompensating,

There is no such rule regading the "distance" between the pronoun and the noun it refers to. As long as the pronoun is correctly used and the meaning is clear, the construct is correct.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 03:42
Zarrolou wrote:
Baracuda123 wrote:

Consider the sentence with C:

C they(plural=Starfish) lose one arm they quickly replace it(=the arm), sometimes by the animal overcompensating,

There is no such rule regading the "distance" between the pronoun and the noun it refers to. As long as the pronoun is correctly used and the meaning is clear, the construct is correct.

Hope it's clear

Yes, you are right and I see that now. I looked it up and basically the book confused me. The book mentions Proximity of pronoun reference but I did not fully understand what the author of the book meant. For example, in a sentence "In the station house it is considered taboo..", "it" cannot refer to station house because the two words are too close. Also, the use of "it" is as a placeholder, not pronoun reference.

Now it is clear, thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 75

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 05:04

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and.
Pronoun should refer to only one Noun. Here, "it" is referring to Starfish and arm
E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating

Starfish is singular. So, "they" is wrong. C,D,E are out. [color=#ff0000]r[/color]

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 29

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
greatps24 wrote:

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and.
Pronoun should refer to only one Noun. Here, "it" is referring to Starfish and arm
E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating

Starfish is singular. So, "they" is wrong. C,D,E are out. [color=#ff0000]r[/color]

Actually, Starfish is plural. You can see it in the sentence: "Starfish, blablabla, have a strong regenerative ability...
If it were singular the sentence would go: Starfish, blablabla, has a strong regenerative ability...

C,D,E are indeed out, but for different reasons.
Intern
Intern
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 15:00
macjas wrote:

Please edit the question - add the "if" to the beginning of all sentences in the options.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 09:27
it is easy... Straight B..

They is incorrect.. C and D and E are out.
A is missing 'is' after it to maintain parallelism
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 19:03
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
it is easy... Straight B..

They is incorrect.. C and D and E are out.
A is missing 'is' after it to maintain parallelism

hi amit
may i know why they is wrong according to you in option CDE

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2013, 19:03