Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Start of a new begining

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Start of a new begining [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 06:42
Hi folks,

I have been a passive member of gmat club for last 3 months. At the end of May 2005 I started my preparation for GMAT. I was always confident about my quantitative skill so I didn't worry much about the math section. I stated the verbal section with a Basic English grammar book. After getting done with that I got through the Barron's 2004-2005 GMAT preparation. I was doing very well in the math section, in the beginning I had little trouble with the sentence correction but in the later parts i did okay. I did very well in the reading comprehension (Although initially I got very scared of it). But I did horrible in the CR.
Then I started practicing Cliff's GMAT preparation.
I went briefly through the kaplan study guide and Peterson's GMAT.

I wanted to take the Power Prep before starting the Official guide. But I tried the all the practice sections before taking the full-length exam. On my first exam I got 680 (34 on verbal and 48 on quantitative). I wasn't sure about the score because I made some careless mistakes in the quantitative and in the verbal there were some questions from the practice ones. In the second exam I scored 760 (46 verbal 50 math) in this one there were also some repetition.

Then I started solving Official guide 13th edition. I found the math section to be really easy. sentence correction was okay. at the beginning I was making some mistakes at the very end I managed it very well. Critical reasoning seemed so easy that out of first 100 questions I got one 3 mistakes. But reading comprehension got me by the balls. the topics related to science or astronomy or crap like that i could make the inference questions right at all. To make long story short I was confident about the entire forum except for reading comprehension.

I took the power prep for the second time and I was delighted to score 800. I took it coupla more times and the range was between 780-800.

Then I finished Kaplan 800. I found the math part quite easy. Verbal challenged me little bit. I couldn't get time to finish the RC part.

Then the night before the big day I revised Official guide as much as possible. My exam was in the morning at 8 A. M. and I am not a morning person at all. But I couldn't get an afternoon appointment. I tried sleeping early that night but I got up as early as 4 in the morning and couldn't sleep after that...... I don't know why that happened..

Anyways I reached the test center 40 minutes before the schedule. I started with Argument question and then the issue question. I finished both the sections almost 8 minutes to spare. Then I took a lick. My throat was running dry so I tried to find some water, but no luck there. I came back on time and started the math section. First few problems were average then it became little difficult in the middle. I almost made some careless mistakes but found my mistakes before making the wrong choice. I had one confusion however, regarding and DS on absolute value. Some problems took me little while but I was always way ahead of time. there were some coordinate geometry couple of progression but nothing from probability or combination. I finished the math section 10 minutes to spare..

Then again I took a break, went to the restroom for a lick. I was feeling little tiered by then. I came back for the verbal. First two questions were from SC. First one was fairly easy, in the second one I got stuck between "which" and "that".... I had to make a guess there. then 2 CR questions came. the questions were very simple but I couldn’t choose the answer form the choices.... that was so frustrating. then came a long 70 line RC. after answering the first question I realized that I picked the wrong answer. I forgot about that in a bit started going forward. I was doing good in the SC ( at least I thought so). but I wasn't too sure about many of the CR questions. I got back-to-back RC in the middle. I don't think I could make too many mistakes there. But I was always lagging behind the time. Finally i had 3 answers to finish in 4 minutes. Question # 39 was an SC. I spotted the problem but I ended up choosing the wrong one due to time pressure. I couldn’t think too much in the last to CR... coz ther were long...I thought I got one of them right and the last one wrong. I finished the test 17 seconds to spare.

When I was going though the survey, although I was so tiered, I was quite happy and hoping to get a good score. I couldn't wait to see my score. and finally when I saw it...... my jaws almost felt to the ground. I didn't expect this score even in my nightmare......

I got only 600.....
math 49 verbal 23

I had a hard time coming back home.... I am still not okay. I decided to take the test again and obviously in the afternoon slot.

But the problem is that I know all the questions in official guide by heart now... I got done with almost all the available preparation material. So how do I start my preparation now. I guess LSAT materials and MGMAT might be helpful, but I live in place where these materials are not available. So what do u guys suggest that I do?

I need to get at least 700. I will be spending at least over an hour every day on GMAT club.

I will really appreciate if some of you can point out the weakness i had in my preparation and what do I need to do in order to improve my score.

Sorry for such a long email.

Take care.

-nakib

hey ya......

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 07:09
Great quant score..was the quant a lot like og or kaplan? As for verbal, you can get some free lsat tests online. I think there is one free test on the lsac website. Search some law school forums for other free tests and/or ask people on them for some lsat pdfs. I found lsat material far more challenging than ets questions and should prepare you better.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 07:31
Carloz wrote:
Great quant score..was the quant a lot like og or kaplan? As for verbal, you can get some free lsat tests online. I think there is one free test on the lsac website. Search some law school forums for other free tests and/or ask people on them for some lsat pdfs. I found lsat material far more challenging than ets questions and should prepare you better.

Thanks Carloz. I think easy questions were like OG, DS was like OG as well but for the rest....... it was from all over the places.

Does any body have any LSAT pdf manatial or any MGMAT CAT that I can have. Or if anyone knows of any weblink I will appreciate that.

-nakib

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 09:54
First of all, way to go on the math score. 49 is nothing to scoff at. You can easily refocus on your weak areas there and bump it up. I've noticed that a high math score can really vault your overall up.

Try keeping an error log. I didn't do as well on verbal either and this has helped me out a lot. Really try to understand why you get certain questions wrong. I noticed that I tend to get verb tenses and comparisons wrong almost exclusively. Taking a little extra time to REALLY UNDERSTAND the concepts has helped out a lot.

Plus, spend at least an hour a day on the forum and try to participate. It helps.
  [#permalink] 07 Sep 2005, 09:54