Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 23:26
Would appreciate any comments!

- Asian female, 25
- Econ major from top 10 US liberal arts college, GPA 3.6, full scholarship
- First try GMAT 670 with no preparation, will take again soon.
- Took multiple leadership roles in college
- Founded an online network to help international high-school kids apply to US schools
- After college I moved out to the Silicon Valley to start a Web 2.0 business with some friends, but it didn't work out because we were just trying to do too many things at the same time (which could actually make a great story for app essays) and I moved back to my hometown in Asia after 1 year when my visa ran out.
- Joined a major management consulting firm 1 year ago, got fast-tracked promoted recently. Have been extremely lucky to have received leadership roles pretty much immediately after I joined. Great relationship with boss (partner).
- Not sure if this is relevant at all... I also have a moonlighting hobby of currency futures trading and have a profitable track record
- Will have 3.5 years of exp by the time of matriculation

That's pretty much my background in a nutshell... I'm hoping to break into M&A and get some exp before moving onto the funding side of the startup world (PE/VC) - I just became more interested in that side of start-up businesses after trying relentlessly to pitch to angel investors and VCs when I was in the valley.

I'm particularly interested in Stanford (obviously), Sloan, HBS, Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia etc. Pretty much the same schools everyone is looking at. Any comments?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 07:38
You do have an interesting background, especially with the start-up and coupling that with the MC job in Asia. One thing that glared at me is the number of years of work experience. As you probably know, it's going to be hard to consider too much of your start-up (though it may make good stories) but since it didn't get anywhere, it'll be almost impossible to benchmark you against other entrepreneurs (unless you have some hard-evidence of success). You're a relatively short-timer for the MC job and while it's great that you garnered leadership ability, it will all depend on how you play your profile against others. I honestly think you have a shot, but a lot will rest on the shapings of your essays and interviews.

First thing that you should do, as you're targeting Sloan, is to boost up your GMAT. Get your GMAT up to at least a 700 for you to not stand at a disadvantage. Harvard is probably a long shot even with a 700+ GMAT, but if it's your dream to go there, you have to apply (I'd rather spend $250 than living with regret afterwards). All in all, your schools are extremely competitive but if that's all you're targeting, go for it. If you're willing to go in the mid 10-20 range, you'll have an easier chance to get in.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:01
thanks for the reply!

that's what i'm kinda worried about too... we did have some successes that we were fairly proud of (we had a couple of major well-known clients in the retail sector) but we also made mistakes that just ended up being wrong turns and leading the business into dead ends. that's actually why i went into MC in the first place right after leaving SF - i wanted to learn the ins and outs of making businesses successful from the "big boys" - and i did in the past year.

so i will have 1.5 yrs with my current firm by the time i apply - not sure if this will make any difference, but i made promotion in 10 months while it typically takes 1.5-2 years. also the only person in the entire consulting practice who received a mid-year instead of regular round promotion. by the time of matriculation i will have 2.5 yrs in MC - which i believe will be the perfect time for me to wrap up my startup failure exp + business lessons from an established MC firm and move onto networking and hopefully jumping back into the startup world again - either on the startup side or on the PE/VC side.

does that make sense at all?
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:07
It makes total sense and trust me, I'm not trying to douse on your dream. I really do think that you can have some very interesting stories to tell, but I think it'll be crucial for you to do that properly on your essays. Your number of years (2.5) at MC will contribute and your promotion will certainly help because if it's a well-known management consulting firm, AdComs will know the typical length people need before a promotion takes place. The mere fact that you got it in 10 months speak volume to your profile. All in all, I'd still recommend you retake the GMAT and aim for a 700+ score. After that, go for your dreams!!

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:18
i plan to use app consultants so hopefully that would make sure the essays/resumes are done right...

well my firm is not a M/B/B but its def well known. anything else i should pay attention to to strengthen my case?
Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 09:31
svalik wrote:
i plan to use app consultants so hopefully that would make sure the essays/resumes are done right...

well my firm is not a M/B/B but its def well known. anything else i should pay attention to to strengthen my case?

Not that I can think of. Since you plan to use an MBA consultant, I'm sure the consultant will be able to help you out more than I can here. Best of luck!! :wink:

Re: Start-up and Consulting Exp - Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 09:31