Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Started a business

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Started a business [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 16:20
Hi all, long time lurker but joined because I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer for.

Several years back, when I was still in college, I started a business. Nothing major, but it has become rather successful and provides for income that has far exceeded offers elsewhere. I eventually brought in my family and it has now become a family business. I am in charge of everything top to bottom, but I already began the process of ceding everything to my father and older brother, as I wish to pursue other endeavors, mainly business school (as a stepping stone to something else).

And so my question: would it be best to present my experience as having started the company, or as an employee of the company in some sort of management capacity?

My concern stems from the background checks that schools will conduct and do not want my experience there to be belittled because there is no HR department anyone can call. I've read on here that I can have suppliers and clients write letters of recommendation, attesting to the business I engage in and even some of the financials (my personal relationships with both clients and suppliers has been critical to my success), I just don't want to ding myself by not considering all possibilities/not being prepared for everything.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 539 [1] , given: 29

Re: Started a business [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jcameron077 wrote:
Hi all, long time lurker but joined because I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer for.

Several years back, when I was still in college, I started a business. Nothing major, but it has become rather successful and provides for income that has far exceeded offers elsewhere. I eventually brought in my family and it has now become a family business. I am in charge of everything top to bottom, but I already began the process of ceding everything to my father and older brother, as I wish to pursue other endeavors, mainly business school (as a stepping stone to something else).

And so my question: would it be best to present my experience as having started the company, or as an employee of the company in some sort of management capacity?

My concern stems from the background checks that schools will conduct and do not want my experience there to be belittled because there is no HR department anyone can call. I've read on here that I can have suppliers and clients write letters of recommendation, attesting to the business I engage in and even some of the financials (my personal relationships with both clients and suppliers has been critical to my success), I just don't want to ding myself by not considering all possibilities/not being prepared for everything.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,
Even a small business is a business! The MBA programs will likely LOVE this! And by all means tell them that you are Founder and General Manager (or CEO), and write in detail about what you did, and how you succeeded and so on. It's only good, dude...

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 122 [1] , given: 1

Re: Started a business [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Absolutely agree with Jon here. You founded a company, it became successful, and now you're passing it along to your family to continue?! C'mon - no matter how you slice that, it's good stuff. Don't start worrying about the background check and working backwards. Your story is yours alone. Your job is to make sure the adcom understands that and appreciates it. Once you're in, then you can worry about the logistics of making sure the background company gets the validation it needs. Also, the optional essay is a great place for a cursory explanation of the situation to set the primer.

This sounds like great experience - don't hide it because you're worried about the technicalities of validation!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Started a business [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 14:19
Thank you both for your responses, I greatly appreciate them!

I will definitely make sure I can convey my role and my motives, it seems my essays will be key in painting a picture of my experience.

Once again, thanks!
Re: Started a business   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2014, 14:19