Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Startin' the GMAT Journey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Startin' the GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 15:43
First and foremost, I hope all is well with you guys/gals. I've finally found an educated forum and it's nice to be able to register, participate, and learn. My friend mentioned this website as I've been contemplating getting an MBA prior to my law program. To make this short, I have about 19 or so months before going into law and that gives me just the amount of time to fill it with an MBA. That being said, my contemplation is now starting to become reality; and as all of you know, I have the same obstacles to overcome in order to be accepted and fulfill my personal goal of doing well on the GMAT.

An enthymeme to all of my questions below is that I'm shootin' for a GMAT score of 750. This may help you--if you're planning to respond--in advising according to this goal.

I have not yet took a diagnostics test and I will be shortly. I noticed that many of you suggest this strategy to help gauge performance. I went ahead and picked up a the typical Kaplan GMAT guide, but from what I've been reading, this is not the best prep guide.

Here are a list of questions that I have at the moment and I'd appreciate your time and help in assisting me (and others alike) in having them addressed:

1) What prep books, guides, programs, applications, etc. would you recommend? If it's relevant and you care to explain why, that would be great.

2) Would you recommend training and tutoring from offered courses? If so, which ones?

3) I would like to take the GMAT sometime early November, 2010. Today, with the start of this thread, I will be starting to prepare myself for this challenge, and I'm wondering whether this is enough time for anyone to prepare themselves for the GMAT.

4) I understand that my 3 questions are more than likely the same questions that many others ask, but are there other questions I should be asking? If so, please go ahead and ask them for me. :)

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2267

Kudos [?]: 8730 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Startin' the GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club!
Here are the answers :)
1. top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html?highlight=ml306
2. gmat-prep-course-class-reviews-ratings-discount-codes-78451.html?highlight=ml601
3. Should be enough. See this one: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
4. The other info you should provide is where you stand (your current diagnostic score - download gmatprep to evaluate) and second - what score you need...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Startin' the GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 15:56
[Reserved]
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Startin' the GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 16:06
Expert's post
Hi, FarhadG! Welcome to the forums. :)

The first step is to take a diagnostic CAT and mimic test conditions as much as possible. You will know where you stand after this and can build your study plan accordingly. And make sure to check out the links bb has provided above. If you still have more questions after reviewing those links, feel free to ask!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Startin' the GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 20:29
bmillan01 wrote:
Hi, FarhadG! Welcome to the forums. :)

The first step is to take a diagnostic CAT and mimic test conditions as much as possible. You will know where you stand after this and can build your study plan accordingly. And make sure to check out the links bb has provided above. If you still have more questions after reviewing those links, feel free to ask!

Thank you for the follow-up, bmillan.

The links are very helpful and I'm looking forward to see where I currently stand and how much I can improve my score.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Startin' the GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 23:30
As I've been looking into courses (question #2), it appears that Manhattan's courses are superior; well, this is what I got from the links provided.

Since I'm on a "tighter" schedule, I'm thinking I should sign up for one of these courses to help me in this 2-3 month journey.

Any thoughts?
Re: Startin' the GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2010, 23:30