Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting a non-profit...advice needed on apps

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Starting a non-profit...advice needed on apps [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 13:33
Paul:

I will be applying Round 2 this season to 3-4 top ranked schools. In the meantime, I have been putting in considerable time and effort into setting up a fairly unique non-profit organization that I will direct.

Being so close to the deadlines, my fear is, instead of seeing it as a positive, adcomms will view it as not having demonstrated much impact, or worse, as a last-minute attempt to pad my community service involvement. So, although I'm confident that I can translate this experience into a great aspect of my application, I hesitate to even mention it. Am I over thinking this?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Other posters' input is welcome also.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Starting a non-profit...advice needed on apps [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 14:05
Expert's post
codeorange,

Well, it would be foolish to omit mention of it altogether, and while adcoms will view your late start with some skepticism they'll be more interested in your impact. If you can't show any, the involvement will win you some points but not a lot. If you can show any impact at all you'll be killing two birds with one stone: showing showing social impact and leadership (in starting the org). So get the organization as far off the ground as you can by the time you apply.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog