Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 06-28-2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 16:46
Hi All,

I am starting to prepare for Gmat. It will be great if there is a study group to discuss strategies and problems. I am based in London, so anyone Local will be great too.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 07:28
Hey,

I too am starting with my GMAT prep from April 1st and looking for a study buddy to stay motivated and share the problematic questions. I am based in the US working as BA. I plan to take a date for first week of July as ideally three months are needed for preparations. I have started with watching the videos and going through the most basic principles in Quants and a few online lectures for Verbal section. This is only so that when I pick up the book after a gap of around 5 years, I dont feel as if I know nothing and in-turn get demotivated.

My Study schedule is as follows:

April1st to April 30th- Quants complete , solve questions and maintain an error log and maintain a book for topic wise basic concepts. Visit the students problem posting section each day and try to solve those questions.
May 1st - Full length test on Quants
May 2nd to May 31st- Verbal complete with Quants test on every 5th day i.e 5,10,15,20,25,30 and keep solving difficulties of other students on this forum
June 1st - Full length test (Q+V)
June 2 to June 30- Full length test every alternate day and going through my error log of two months, topic wise concept book and assessing my full length test
July first week, I plan to take my test
Manager
Manager

Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 14:12
Hi, Great...

Its been 3 weeks i have started verbal, completed RC from MGMAT and OG. Now doing MGMAT SC...On SC i feel i am losing pace. will try to recover lost time this weekend. Lets stay connected...

Your study plan seems fine, have you started quant yet?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 03:39
Topaz wrote:
Hi, Great...

Its been 3 weeks i have started verbal, completed RC from MGMAT and OG. Now doing MGMAT SC...On SC i feel i am losing pace. will try to recover lost time this weekend. Lets stay connected...

Your study plan seems fine, have you started quant yet?

Hi,

Good Morning! I have started with quants geometry section. Plan to get done with around 1650 questions in geometry by April 7 so that I can start giving sectional tests online while moving onto other sections. You seem to be pretty fast wrt completing RC from MGMAT & OG. I too missed on my yesterday's schedule due to work :cry: so will try making up for it over the weekend.

Did you read any tutorials online before starting with RC from MGMAT/OG??? I dont know why but I get a little scared even with the thought of starting of with Verbal section which I know, I have to start sometime soon....... Your suggestions to overcome this fear???
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 03:48
Great you guys found each other!

I moved this topic to the "Find GMAT Study Groups" subforum.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Manager
Manager

Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 12:02
Hi Aradhya,

Apologies for the delay in reply. Yes,I completed RC pretty quick but have lost pace on SC, hope to catch up pace pretty soon.

I can relate to your fear of starting verbal...Start with whatever you find interesting. If you think your reasoning is good, start with RC. RC questions could be very much like quizzes, it is very interesting too. This way you will get used to verbal section.

SC is lengthy hence keep it to second or last otherwise you will get demotivated because of the length of time it takes. Though i have done exactly the opposite, i hated RC and was very weak at that hence tamed it down right in the beginning. I am now able to complete most RC paragraphs with almost 95% accuracy and speed.

My quant is better than verbal hence i have decided to complete verbal first.

Good luck and stay connected :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 09:03
Topaz wrote:
Hi Aradhya,

Apologies for the delay in reply. Yes,I completed RC pretty quick but have lost pace on SC, hope to catch up pace pretty soon.

I can relate to your fear of starting verbal...Start with whatever you find interesting. If you think your reasoning is good, start with RC. RC questions could be very much like quizzes, it is very interesting too. This way you will get used to verbal section.

SC is lengthy hence keep it to second or last otherwise you will get demotivated because of the length of time it takes. Though i have done exactly the opposite, i hated RC and was very weak at that hence tamed it down right in the beginning. I am now able to complete most RC paragraphs with almost 95% accuracy and speed.

My quant is better than verbal hence i have decided to complete verbal first.

Good luck and stay connected :)

Hello Topaz,

What strategy did you follow to improve on RC, it's a block hole for me in the whole exam. I would really really want to master RC now, my score will improve at least by 70-80 points.

I am following a similar plan as of Aradhya, but i am tackling Verbal fast instead of Quant. Rest of the plan stays the same.

And many strokes, though with a little axe, hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak. - William Shakespeare

Manager
Manager

Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 22:16
nikhiil wrote:

Hello Topaz,

What strategy did you follow to improve on RC, it's a block hole for me in the whole exam. I would really really want to master RC now, my score will improve at least by 70-80 points.

I am following a similar plan as of Aradhya, but i am tackling Verbal fast instead of Quant. Rest of the plan stays the same.

Hi Nikhil,

Start with watching speed reading videos on you tube. Follow the tips they suggest, even if you can apply 50% of what the speed reading techniques suggest, your RC will improve because you will be reading quickly and with more attention. Initially dont get into solving questions and get correct answers, concentrate on reading and comprehending with in a set time frame. Along with practice you will get better. Good Luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 06:21
Hey Guys,

I am planning to give GMAT in June-July. Finished reading Manhattan Prep books, now I am solving OG problems. It would be great if we share our study plan.
I study everyday for 3-4 hours, I solve 20 questions of each sections except RC as I have not started it yet.

How you guys study? I am not sure whats the best method but I think I need to add some time for revision and error log. But problem solving takes my all energy and I cannot concentrate further :( please give me some tips to improve my study plan, concepts and stamina too.

Thanks!
SGMAT2014
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 14:10
Hi,

I'm also prepping for my GMAT. The first time I took the GMAT, it was the older version and I got a 590 without studying. Now, with the newer version all my practice test are around 550-590, and that is with studying. Reading comprehension is my biggest problem. Do you guys have any advice on how to read passages faster and still comprehend it? I realized if I had more time, I would be able to answer correctly. Thank you.

-LL
Re: Starting GMAT Prep - Looking for study buddy   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2014, 14:10