Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: Starting GMAT preparation 2 years ahead? [#permalink]
A two-year study plan is absolutely NOT recommended. Many people indeed regret having not spend enough time on their GMAT studies, but going to the opposite extreme is equally as bad. Please don't do this. Three to four months of effective study should be enough for almost anyone to perform well on the GMAT.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
I love the pizza analogy, bakfed - well done! (And sorry to hear about that pizza experience...)

I fully agree with you that a 2-year study plan just sounds like the wrong way to go. Not only is it ripe for procrastination, burnout, etc., it just shouldn't take that long in general! Keep in mind that your GMAT score is good for 5 years, so if you have more time over the next few months than you anticipate having a year or two from now, you might as well plan to take the test sooner and then hold onto the score for 5 years. I'd even argue that even if you don't think you'll use the score for 6 years, if the GMAT is on your mind now and you want to get started, you should gear up for a test within the next 6 months or so...then at least you have the option to use that score, and you prepare with some intensity and a finish line in sight.

Think about it this way - most diet and exercise plans fail, in large part because people don't have targeted goals. It's hard to stay on that treadmill for too long without an event to check your progress. If you register for a triathlon or you have a fitness goal to hit by a certain date, you're much more likely to stick with it because you're accountable to an event. To paraphrase Allen Iverson, we just can't get that into practice...we want to play the game! (Practice? Practice? We talking about practice? Not the game...practice?)

So without a genuine attempt at the GMAT over two years, I just don't think you'll get a whole lot of value out of a study program. I'd much rather you plan to take the test sooner, and then even if you don't love your score you've at least had to deal with that sense of urgency that comes with preparing for the big event, and you can learn from that.

One other note - that 2012 GMAT change only affects one section: the new "Integrated Reasoning" section will replace one of the AWA essays. So you won't do any counterproductive studying between now and then - nothing is being removed from the GMAT, and the new section derives skills and thought processes largely from current question families and concept areas - but even at that you may want to plan on taking a test sooner if you have the time just to aid your study process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and taking the time to type it out. I really appreciate it and I am sure I can still learn a lot from you!

I haven’t had any standardized testing experience so far, so speaking of grades and GPA, I have always been very good, but really the only thing that got me there was hard word and practice, practice, practice. I wouldn’t consider myself particularly intelligent, if I wasn’t studying much, I wouldn’t be by far as good. That's why I'll probably also not get around studying for more than 2 or 3 months for the GMAT in or,der to get a satisfying result ;) Additionally, I’m not a native speaker, as you might have noticed, which makes the verbal and essay parts even harder for me and I’ll probably have to do lots of vocab-studying.

I do realize that a two-year study plan is probably a bit over the top ;) But I feel like a 6/9-month preparation period sounds reasonable.

From reading people’s GMAT stories (such as positivesoul’s „From 420 to 700 to Wharton“, as I previously mentioned) I got the impression that practicing can really help you to improve your score tremedously. Is that true? How much did you guys or people you know improve since your first GMAT / diagnostic test without any preparation? Are the ones who manage to raise their scores by several hundred points just exceptions by nature or exceptions because they’re one of the few who have the right attitude and the will power and persistence to pull this through and study consistenly for such a long time period? ;)

@bakfed:
Quote:
so roughly an 11 month preparation. Not happy with my first try, I took it again immediately after a month (I remember it was 32 days after my first try) in May.

First of all, congratulations on your great score, you should be very proud not only of the score but also of your persistence and determination!
How much did you roughly study per day / on the weekends? Did you have a study plan and did you stick to it?

Thank you also for sharing the pizza experience, I’m sure it was hard for you to even look at pizza for a couple of weeks after this ;)
Utimately, I think this also demonstrates that one should not try to handle too much in a fairly short time period. → Therefore, studying for 5-8h per day over 3 months would be equally as bad for you as over 2 year with 1-2h per day. Eventually you’ll get tired of it both ways. Do you agree?

@ VeritasPrepBrian
Quote:
If you register for a triathlon or you have a fitness goal to hit by a certain date, you're much more likely to stick with it because you're accountable to an event.

That’s very true! I realize that with even with usual exams ;)

Concerning the GMAT change in 2012: So, will they simply add/replace a section? Is it for sure that they won't change other sections?

Thank you again for your help! I truly appreciate it!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
In terms of the 2012 change, I don't know much about it but I'll definitely take Brian's word for it. You can also google it to see what it entails (I simply don't know enough about it besides the fact that it's going to change).

I think a 6-9 months is not that bad, certainly has a lot more pros (than cons) when compared to a 2+ years study plan. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I'd do more of a 6-9 months, leaning towards 6 or 7 preferably. I have to somehow disagree at least a little bit that studying intensely for 3 months is a negative thing. You can think about GMAT as a final exam from college. Some folks (probably most folks) would agree that what they'll do is procrastinate and wait until the last minute and cram everything in. The GMAT isn't testing you calculus, nor is it asking you to read the Harvard journals. Most of the stuff on there is mostly high school materials, with a bit of a twist in it. What you need to do is practice enough for you to realize these twists when present, and tackle the question strategically. A 2+ year studying plan won't get you any closer to mastering the material if you can't see these twists. I guess same could go the other way: studying intensely (but incorrectly) for 3 months would do no right either. Anyway, I personally don't think there's anything bad about a 6-9 month studying plan, as long as you do it right and don't get burnout towards the end.

As for me, I improved from a 580 to a 700 (with an official 660 first time). My game plan was that I analyzed where I was lacking, which was verbal, and really attacked my weak side. I used MGMAT's SC and practiced and practiced and practiced. I totally believe that one can improve from a 400 to a 700. It will really depend a lot on several factors: time, dedication, and perseverance. Obviously, a 400 to a 700 will require a lot more practice but the harsh reality is that not everyone has the time and energy to study 150+ hours to achieve that 300 point increase. I would say just do the best you can and take that beast when you're ready. Instead of worrying how many points you can improve, simply think about getting that 800 the first time. =)
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey gang,

Regarding that new Integrated Reasoning section, you can read the Official GMAT Blog's explanation and even try some sample problems through the www.mba.com site here: https://www.mba.com/community/MBA_com/b/officialgmat/archive/2010/11/05/next-generation-gmat-integrated-reasoning-question-testing.aspx

And for the official press release, which reiterates that "the GMAT's verbal and quantitative sections will not change", please see: https://gmac.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=112.

So rest assured that all the study you may put in over the next 16 months (although I do recommend a shorter time horizon!) or so will not be wasted!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sorry to get back so late, I had a couple of exams to write over the last weeks.

Thanks for your help again, guys. Brian, thank you for the link and also thank you for sharing your experience, bakfed :)

So, supposing I would start studying this summer (July) for approx. 6-7 months, how long would you recommend to study per day (weekdays and weekends)? Would you recommend to start off with a GMAT course (just to sort of "get into the material quicker")?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I have roughly 6 mon in hand (my date is 8 sept 2011) and I try to study at least an hour every day and 6 hrs on the weekend, I will have to increase as the day gets closer!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot