Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting my GMAT journey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 22:02
So I am just starting my GMAT journey....I am a newborn in the world of GMAT and GMAT Club.... I discovered this site about a week back...and I must say this place is AHMAZING! Kudos to the creator and the other members who have contributed to the creation of what might be advertised as a one-stop-portal for all the info needed to crack the GMAT(sorry if I sound like a telemarketeer....I am in sales.. :-D )

After going through hundreds of posts in this community, I have decided to document my preparation progress on GMAT club.....it will keep me aware...and ,I hope, will give me support in the form of expert advice and suggestions...

A bit about my background: I have just graduated from engineering college this year and am currently working for a multinational Power and Automation products company...my GPA is not that great (3.18 when I convert from the 10-point scale to the 4 point scale)......I have good high school academic records.....lots of extracurricular as well(but nothing in college....does Partying count? :P )........I hope to apear for the GMAT in Jan/Feb 2012 and apply to schools for their fall 2014 intake...in the meanwhile I hope to strengthen my bio....

I started thinking about GMAT during my last semester in engineering college(about 6 months back)....I did a bit of looking around...but my preparations didnt take off till last week....12th Sept. to be exact...after doing some GMAT OG questions randomly, I decided not to waste any more of those GMAT questions and took a official GMAT Prep test on the night of September 15 to determine my strengths and weaknesses....
I scored 570(Q32,V35) : A BIG dissapointment. I thought i was 'not bad' at math( dare I still call myself an enginner :oops: ? )
Quant:I could reach only about two-thirds of the questions within the alloted time and half of the questions I did attemp, turned out wrong. Theres no discernable pattern,.....only that for most of the questions I had the feeling of 'I-know-this-but-for-the-life-of-me-i-cant-remember'.....things like equation of points lying on a straight line....series summations....formula for compound interest...(ya, i could have used simple interest+GP series....but i was running out of tym and i dont remeber series summations anyway).........I need a refresher, big time. (]Any book suggestions here??? I dont think I need a very fundamental book....I think most of the things are in the back of my mind,,,,I just need to clear the dust off them and improve my speed.....ummm....does tht sound like everything in the world? :( )

Verbal: 50% in SC, 70% in CR and 100% in RC(which might just be a lucky chance).....after studying SC strategies from the Kaplan Premier in the last two days I have discovered that most of my mistakes were in modifiers.....(apparently I slept off when they taught sentence constructions with phrases and clauses- i dont have the vaguest memory of them). SC can be ramped up the most , isnt that correct? I hope so.

I am aiming for a 200 point increase. 770. Big dreams? But then one of GMAT club's high-ranking members has a signature messaage that says 'aim for the stars, reach a tree-top' , and I was quite taken by it. No harm in trying, what say?

Currently I have three books: GMAT OG 12, Kaplan Premier and Princeton review 1012(or whatever it is called)....all over-all strategy books. I hope to finish Kaplan and OG within a month.....PR I will continue using ffor practice...then take a Kaplan test and determine my weak areas.......... Then perhaps I will buy MGMAT math guides and Powerscore CR and SC....Is that sound strategy , or should i start the specific-topic books now itself?I am planning to spend15-18 hours per week, for 12-16 weeks. Will that be suffecient?

Would love to hear from the gurus(and others :twisted: ) on this site.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 126 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS
Well, right now... Keep the OG away... Don't use those questions just yet... There is an excellent book called "Quantum CAT" by Sarvesh Kumar Verma. The book is a very good source of solved examples and the theory coverage is pretty decent too. Start working through the Level 1 problems in this book. Once you finish the Level 1 problems in Quantum CAT, your foundation in math will be very good. Then, you can start solving the problems in the OG to improve your timing. With the strong theoretical base, developed by solving problems in quantum cat, and efficient time management practices, refined by solving questions in the OG, you can expect a quant raw score in the top 5 percentile.

That, my friend, is a guarantee!

:beer

(... and I sooo wish partying counted as extra-curricular activities!)

Good luck...

Regards,
Entwistle

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 00:45
Hi Entwistle ...thanks a lot for your reply!
I think I read your comment in some other post where you have mentioned tht quantum CAT should be done for adavnced scores? do u think at my current level it would beneffit me?
BTW I see that you are aiming for ISB. Can you tell me if I can apply next year (september '12) for their 2013 intake? By the time of admission i would be having about 20 months work ex.....also what apart from GMAT scores and work-ex is important to apply in ISB?
Are you applying to ISB this year?

Last edited by Dreaming on 19 Sep 2011, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 00:59
Since you're planning to write your GMAT in Jan/Feb 2012, you have 4/5 months of prep time. Within this time frame, you can easily finish Quantum CAT and still get time to enjoy the better things in life. It's not a lofty target. You just need to be consistent. If you spend at least 1 hour every day with that book for the next three months, I'm sure even you would be surprised by the progress made!

If you're not really comfortable with quant right now, work on the introductory exercises in the text book before attempting Level 1 problems.

As for ISB,
They do require applicants to have a minimum work ex of 24 months. The minimum experience for the mid 80% is 30 months. The essays are also a very important part of the application package. Some of the things that will hep you write a strong essay are:
1. Clarity of vision regarding short term, long term and super long term goals.
2. Examples of leadership skills.
3. Connection between past experience, MBA from ISB and your future career must be well defined. There has to be a continuity.

I just submitted my application a few days back. Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

:)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 01:19
ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR APPLICATION! I am sure you will get through(if they dont admit a 750 scorer they whom WILL they admit???)
And thanks for your motivating response....I am ordering quantam cat through flipkart right now(rs 354....isnt that sweet :) ) I already feel better knowing that I have a good book to rely on....thanks!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 01:33
WTF! Rs 354? That's awesome :)

See... the universe is conspiring to bring you closer to a killer GMAT score ;)

Thank you for your wishes, and all the best to you too...

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Starting my GMAT journey [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 03:59
Entwistle wrote:
Well, right now... Keep the OG away... Don't use those questions just yet... There is an excellent book called "Quantum CAT" by Sarvesh Kumar Verma. The book is a very good source of solved examples and the theory coverage is pretty decent too. Start working through the Level 1 problems in this book. Once you finish the Level 1 problems in Quantum CAT, your foundation in math will be very good. Then, you can start solving the problems in the OG to improve your timing. With the strong theoretical base, developed by solving problems in quantum cat, and efficient time management practices, refined by solving questions in the OG, you can expect a quant raw score in the top 5 percentile.

That, my friend, is a guarantee!

:beer

(... and I sooo wish partying counted as extra-curricular activities!)

Good luck...

Regards,
Entwistle

Subject: Starting my GMAT journey

Entwistle wrote:
WTF! Rs 354? That's awesome :)

See... the universe is conspiring to bring you closer to a killer GMAT score ;)

Thank you for your wishes, and all the best to you too...

Hi,
Sorry for bothering you again.....But you are an expert :D, so here goes.....

This is the plan I made for the duration of october to march. I plan to study 2.5 hrs every week day+ 5 hours each on sat and sunday. IS the following plan feasible?Please feel free to suggest changes.
October: Quantum CAT by sarvesh Kumar verma: theory+level1 (averages/alligations/ratio/speed-time/work rate/geometry/mensuration/trigonometry 2 chapters per week). + parallel problems in OG QuantI.----- have already completed percents/profit-loss/CI-SI chapters in last 4 days from quantum cat but am yet to do the parallel problems in OG quant.
November :MGMAT inequalities , eqns and VIC+parallel problems in OG quant.&OG12 (I dont have the MGMAT book yet, but inequlities are my weak point)(1 week)
MGMAT Number properties(no book yet...but i have heard so many good things abt this book that i suppose i will get it.) +parallel problems in OG quant.&OG12(1week). MGMAT CAT1
MGMAT SC+ referred problems in OG+OG verbal (2 weeks)
December: PowerScore CR+ OG verbal(1 week....to be continued) MGMAT test 2......
I am scheduled for some work related activities and a transfer between last week of december to mid-jan. So I am not planning any preparation for these 3 weeks...however I think I will improve my RC whenever I get time in this duration.
January 3rd and 4th week: Review everything studied so far. Solve half of the problems from OG12. Take MGMAT test3
February 1st and 2nd week: complete powerscore CR.+parallel problems in OGverbal and OG12 Take MGMAT test4
2nd and 3rd week: complete OG12 Take MGMAT test5.

March 1st and 2nd week: REVISION., MGMAT test6, GMATPrep2.
March 3rd week: GMAT

I have planned till march...is that duration too long? I wanna be sure I am capable of getting my desired score ....i am taking this test only once(the exam fee is too much to bear more than once)...
Hows ur ISB application coming along? All the best :)

Thanks and regards,
Upasana
Re: Starting my GMAT journey   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2011, 03:59