Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 10:07
sjthack wrote:
Congrats on your progress so far! I found that repetition was the biggest thing for me in studying the quant stuff. Like you, I don't have much of a math background so it was a bit like learning a foreign language. A lot of harder GMAT problems test multiple concepts in the same problem (ex. 200 students are registered all college X. 1/8 are science majors and 3/8 are history majors; 5% of the science majors also major in history. What percent of the students major in neither science nor history?) One of the most important things is to be able to look at a problem and know quickly how you're going to attack it. Lots of repetition will help embed the concepts into your mind to the point where you'll see a question and be able to not only jump right in, but also manipulate numbers along the way to get what you need.

That being said, the burnout factor that you acknowledged can certainly be an issue. In my prep I worked hard for 5 days, then took 2 off. I found that on the first day back I was fresh and eager to get going. It also seemed like the material had soaked in a bit more (not sure if that's really possible but maybe it's like going to the gym and giving your muscles a day to recover?).

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your prep. Keep your head up and work hard. It'll be over soon.

Thanks for the words of advice! As of now I definitely do not have the ability to quickly look at a problem and know how to solve it, but it's good to know with lots of practice I can improve. At this point I'm not even getting the hard questions to come up on practice tests. But I'm hoping if I just keep at it things will start to stick. I know everyone says it's easier to learn math than it is to learn verbal, but they are usually the ones who are naturally good at math! I can see what they mean, but if you don't think mathematically naturally, it takes a fair amount of practice to try to train your brain to think that way. I normally have to read a concept more than once before I understand what it means. Then, remembering it come test time is a different story!

Now that I know I am going to have to take the test in mid-September has kicked my motivation into high gear, so hopefully I will have some more good news to share in the upcoming weeks. I still have to get through the rest of the
Algebra book and the Word Translations book before I can devote my time to doing the OG questions and MGMAT practice exams. You seem to be naturally good at Verbal, judging by your score. How did you handle staying fresh on Verbal while you were focusing on Quant?

Last edited by mistahwaddie on 07 Aug 2011, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 10:09
Zynga wrote:
Good luck with your prep mistahwaddie!!
...and keep updating the progress

Thanks Zynga! Having this post is definitely getting me to keep studying, just so I can make sure I update my progress regularly!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 22:40
Hey, good to know ur progressing well, good luck with ur preps and keep updating ur progress!
Intern
Intern

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 11:58
TargetGmatt wrote:
Hey, good to know ur progressing well, good luck with ur preps and keep updating ur progress!

Thanks! How is your prep going?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 15:29
hey guys!

Have anyone of you tried MGMAT free test? I took it yesterday. Scored 590 (Q43, V29).

I found it really tough. Let me know your opinion.
Intern
Intern

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 12:12
I took the free test as well, which is actually the first of the six free tests they give you when you buy one of the guides. I thought it was pretty hard; I got a 540 (30Q, 35V). But then again I think all the tests are hard so I may not be the best judge of that! lol
Intern
Intern

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 15:15
Ugh, just took MGMAT practice test #3, and scored 570 (35Q, 33V). That is the lowest score I have ever gotten on verbal. I think I definitely need to brush up on some key strategies in this area and practice them along with quant. I think I have been focusing so much on quant that I am rusty on verbal.

As far as quant goes, I scored the same as last time, and according to the breakdown, I answered a few 700-800 level questions correct. I think I feel a little more comfortable with how to answer quant questions. I am almost through with the MGMAT Algebra book and it doesn't seem to really tell me anything new. I think I might just move on to Word Translations. I should definitely go through my flash cards more often and try to cement these concepts in my head.

It's hard to focus on Verbal after exhausting my brain trying to solve the quant questions. I guess I just have to build up stamina by taking more tests?

My goal is to get at least a 40Q and at least a 44V. I think I can do the verbal, but quant is going to take a lot of practice...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 21:16
Hey, I scopred the same on MGMAT prac test # 3, 570 (38, 30) :(.. the issue for me was mainly time mgt in quants, I wasn't able to complete the section on time and skipped 9 questions, this ruined my quant score. And on the verbal section, i made a lot of mistakes on RC and CR, even though i spent a lot of time carefully reading RC passages...i don't know why and what I'm doing wrong...

prep is going on but reallyyy slow, i need to buckle up and work hard now... :!:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 21:28
I'm hoping you mean V40, Q44? V44 is the top 1 percentile. If you're having difficulties with MGMAT verbal, that might be the slightest bit of a stretch within your given time constraints.

At 35 for Quant, I would suggest you STOP taking the MGMAT cats. The score indicates unfamiliarity with the core math fundamentals. Manhattan tests are a very useful tool for assessing your Quant proficiency as they are a great source of higher level math qtns and they are limited in number. Get your fundamentals up to a level where you are familiar with the various Quant question types, then take the CATs to assess your improvement. Make sure you can do mid-difficulty level (600-700 level) qtns in rates/ratio/geometry/algebra etc flawlessly and quickly before trying the stupidly difficult gmatclub or other 700-800 level qtns. You're not trying to improve from 48 to 50/51. You're trying to break 45 right now as an intermediate goal. Getting a 50 can wait till you reach that level first.
Intern
Intern

Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:00
Openbox1 - Honestly, I am terrible at math. I don't think I can get a Q45. I do, however, think I can break V44. Good grammar comes naturally to me, and with practice, as well as becoming familiar with critical thinking techniques, I think it is doable. I don't think in a mathematical way...

...which brings me to the reason I am posting right now. Maybe an MBA is not right for me. If I can't look at a problem and automatically know the best way to solve it, what chance do I have? I definitely want a master's degree, and so much can be done with an MBA, but maybe I just don't possess the skills necessary to pull it off.

I have pretty much abandoned my studying. I don't think I've picked up a book in at least a month. I haven't completely given up hope, and maybe I'm posting so I can get some encouragement or positive reinforcement, but I'm very discouraged. I really hate the idea of wasting all that money on books, so I want to make the most of them. Luckily, the MGMAT practice center is available for a year, and I still have 9 months to use it. I'm not looking to get into the best school ever, honestly I don't belong there, but I do want a good score because it might help me get more financial aid.
Re: Starting My GMAT Journey - Target Date September   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2011, 12:00