Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 11:52
I'm in my senior year of college, and am planning to apply to bschool in a couple of years. I will probably be taking the GMAT some time before I graduate in May/June 2011.

Since I do not really want to spend my entire senior spring studying for the GMAT (I'll also be taking classes to complete my degree, albeit easier ones), I was wondering if spreading out a 3 months worth of studying over 6 months is a bad idea?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 15:45
Expert's post
I think it is not a great one but that's me - I tend to forget things quite a bit, so spending a long time vs. intensively prepping is not a good idea for my style. Yours may be different but I find most people are somewhat similar.... it can also will make your progress seem very slow and improvement un-motivating.... I'd say give it a shot and then intensify if needed.

On a side note, I have seen quite a few seniors score quite well without much studying. You may want to take a practice test and see how it goes.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 17:16
I second bb. Personally, I thought about taking the GMAT a while ago (approximately 5 months back) and registered on this forum, took a free practice test (Not GMAT Prep) and kinda assessed where my scores were, and just answered questions on the Math forum because my Quant score was pretty high without preparation. This was during the summer. Once I got back to school, I decided I was going to start focusing on my preparation, took a GMAT Prep and really, now that I think about it, though I was constantly in touch with the GMAT, I've only seriously prepared for like 3 weeks till now. And I will be spending 10 days after finals intensively preparing for it before I take the exam on the 29th. Then again, this depends on your background - I'm an engineering student and math was never really too much of an issue. My verbal was decent enough too.

I would say that spending 2-3 months with full concentration > 6 months, because you might just forget some stuff unless you're really keeping up with it, which can get hard, considering it's your last semester :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1

Re: Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 03:30
I agree with bb and whiplash.
Maintaining the momentum of your study over a period of 6 months is a difficult ,if not an impossible task . It's better to limit your preparation to around 3 months. 100 days is supposed to be the ideal duration for the preparation. However, what you may want to do before you start your preparation is try exploring more and more about the exam and if possible try to improve your weak areas before you actually start studying. For example, if you're weak at RC, you may want to read as much as possible. If you're weak at SC, you may want to explore about SC errors on the internet. Doing this will provide you a good launchpad to kickstart your GMAT Preparation formally.

My 760 debrief

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 03:40
I would suuggest you take a CAT test, and depending on your score, and on your target, you can decide by yourself:
if you score 790, and your target is 650, just wait until 2 month before the exam...
but if you score 500 and your target is 700... maybe you should have a look at your weaknesses and start working on it ( reading is an excellent advice, as rishiraj said).
Let us know

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Re: Starting prep 6 months ahead of exam date?   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2010, 03:40