Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

starting the application process and changing carreers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

starting the application process and changing carreers [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 18:37
Hello,

I am new to the application process. The application process looks overwelming. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a 31-year-old caucasian American male.

I graduated with a BS in Physics with a mediocre 2.74 GPA, but scored a 730 (Q47 V44 AWA5.0).

I am currently an ESL teacher in China for an international language center. Besides my classroom instruction, I frequently fascilitate various marketing events to encourage new students to join. Before I came to China, I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Malawi, a small country in southern Africa where I taught math and physical science to high school students in a small rural village. Aside from teaching, I ran the library, organized field trips for the wildlife club, and collaborated with HIV/AIDS prevention groups to speak with the student body. Outside the school, I wrote various grants and co-managed projects. In total, I have four years of teaching experience, two in Malawi and two in China. I have an elementary grasp of spoken Manderan and spoke Chitumbuka (the language of Northern Malawi) at an intermediate level.

My goal is to switch over to the field of international finance focusing on emerging markets. And like so many others, I want to get into a top 10 school. I have been eyeballing Duke, Berkeley, and NYU. Looking at the experience of other prospective candidates, I seem to be grossly under-qualified. Is there hope for me? Any advice to make my application more marketable would be greatly appreciated!
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: starting the application process and changing carreers [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 13:19
Hi crandp01,

I can relate to your experience, prior to my mba I worked in manufacturing in China during 3 years therefore I do share part of your stories and I also had some interest in emerging markets. First you need to realize that you will certainly be considered as an applicant for the "diversity" bucket (other end up in "consultant", "bankers", "indian with IT background", ...) therefore you need to capitalize on your profile and on what you would bring to the class through your essays and interviews: explain how different is your job, how you had to adapt yourself to a new culture, how you took responsability and shape your business, how you learn ad lot of new business skills in china, etc... Overseas you have usually a lot more responsabilies and it's important to describe all this while stating that you also plan to leverage this into a more corporate type of work...Any experience is good, what's important is how you present it !
I think your profile will be fine, you need to work very well on how to explain step by step and in a rationale way the transition you plan to make to finance. You going into an MBA is not a problem however you moving into finance is the real question....this will certainly raise questions during interviews, you need to credible so work hard on that one. Good luck

Antoine

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Tuck Alumni, Class of 2008

Re: starting the application process and changing carreers   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2010, 13:19