Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting the Journey again

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Starting the Journey again [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 21:12
So,

I begin studying for my second attempt at the GMAT tommorrow. I first took the GMAT back in September where i scored a 570. Needless to say, this was not the score i was shooting for.

The first time I took the test I studied very very hard for the duration of about 7 weeks. Fact is studying that hard for that short of a time period, combined with my hectic work life, burned me out. I was averaging around a 670 in all my practice exams heading but felt like I just lost it all when i sat down for the real exam.

This time around I have allocated much more time to study. Instead of burning myself out everynight I am going to work in a schedule that fits in my life, so I can have the balance everyone on here talks about.

Additionally I will be using the study methods discussed here. I wish I would have had access to this forum the first time I took the test. I am sure my scores would have been better.

Anyway.... not sure why I am writing this other than part of me is nervous to go through this a second time. Then again nothing thats worth it comes easy.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Hi [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 07:47
Its unfortunate about the lower than expected score.
Wish you best the next time. I am taking the test on 26th feb. When are u taking again?
ALso, how was your exp. of real test? Was it close to power prep?
What mistakes do you think you committed, that could be imporved the next time?

YOur input would be a great help.
Thanks
Pankaj
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hi [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 08:46
pb_india wrote:
Its unfortunate about the lower than expected score.
Wish you best the next time. I am taking the test on 26th feb. When are u taking again?
ALso, how was your exp. of real test? Was it close to power prep?
What mistakes do you think you committed, that could be imporved the next time?

YOur input would be a great help.
Thanks
Pankaj

I do not plan to take the test until Late May / Early June. I have to give myself a lot of time to prepare. My typical work day is between 11 and 12 hours. I can only allocate abou 15-20 hours a week to study so I am extending my studying over a few months.

I found the power prep to be a little bit easier than the real thing. On the power prep I was scoring in the 96th percentile in verbal but on the real thing I scored in the 77th. The sentence correction is what got me on the real test.

As far as the Quant section goes, well... I would say it was about the same as the Power Prep, I just choked on it... I seriously blanked and forgot all the lessons I learned aobut how to methodically plow my way through a problem.

The mistakes I made were in my preperation. Most specifically I did not use an error log as everyone here suggests, this is one of the things I wish I would have thought of before the test. So when I sat down to study at night, I never knew where to start. The anxiety of not knowing if I covered everything also hurt me on the test.

I think I can improve drastically through solid prepration and confidence. I am going to slowly build until I am ready rather than setting an arbitrary date and try to cram all my studying in. I also think the use of this forum to do challenges, and the use of an error log will really help me gain some confidence for this next test.
Re: Hi   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2005, 08:46