Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting to think about the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Starting to think about the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 03:28
Hey guys,

So, I am currently studying Banking and Finance at Monash University in Australia and am nearing the end of my degree. Of course, I know that nowadays it's hard to get pretty much anywhere in the banking and finance industry with just a plain degree and therefore I want to achieve a competitive edge.

My ultimate goal is to land a job at an investment bank (not necessarily in investment banking, maybe TSS?).

I'm thinking of applying for Masters of Finance at Melbourne Uni and a number of other programs for which the GMAT is required.

I want to gather basic information about things like:
-How do I get an indication about where I stand in terms of preparation requirements?
-How long to I give myself to study for the GMAT to land a decent score?
-Can anyone suggest other things investment banks like in an applicant (I got to the third stage in a JP Morgan Investment banking internship, until there was some confusion)?

Cheers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Starting to think about the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 05:27
Answer to your qs.1. Download the GMATPrep free sowtware from mba.com (http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx)....the package includes 2 tets,,,,,,you can use any one to gauge your current level of preparedness.
2. The time required varies from person to person.....but 3 months is the most agreed upon time duration required for GMAT preparations....Once you get your baseline score from the GMATPrep test, you might be able to judge better in what areas u need to spend more time on.
3. umm..i would leave this question to be answered by the experts out here....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting to think about the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 05:45
Thank you so much. Appreciate it. I'll get onto that as soon as my exams finish. Any other tips for the starting process? I can read up on other posts when it comes to the depth of preparation.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Starting to think about the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 05:55
karzo360 wrote:
Thank you so much. Appreciate it. I'll get onto that as soon as my exams finish. Any other tips for the starting process? I can read up on other posts when it comes to the depth of preparation.

Posted from my mobile device Image

To get into the GMAT mode, you might go through a general strategies book such as KAPLAN premier. Its a good book for an introduction to the different kinds of GMAT qs..... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160978 ... 1609780914)

However, most people recommend it only if you have time on your hands to build from general preparation to in-depth preparations. If you have less time, you might want to directly jump into specific study materials such as Manhattan GMAT guides.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Starting to think about the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 19:08
Read through the forums. There is lots of information that can be beneficial to you while you study. If you are unfamiliar with the books to get for study purposes, there is a great thread on that.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 114

Re: Starting to think about the GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 16:15
Check out this post by the creator of gmat club. This is where I started about 3 months ago before I knew anything about the GMAT. Went from a 570 to 710 after serious studying (150-200 hours). Purchase some books or a course after you have a baseline and go from there. If you're going to do the GMAT though decide where you might like to go and make sure they accept GMAT scores: gmatclub . com/forum/gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Once you've decided if you want to go for it or not, I would encourage you to put 110% effort into it. 3 months of prep just a couple times a week will most likely not do it. You have to dive in and take is seriously unless your diagnostic starts out high. Once you've had some experience the GMAT can even be used on your resume for I-Banking... but generally your score has to be over 700 for it to look good. Trust me, no one stumbles onto a 700. Usually requires serious studying and commitment.

Also, note that the GMAT is changing in 6 months. It is generally accepted that the new format of the GMAT will be tougher and require more studying. Many people and GMAT test prep companies are encouraging individuals that are considering the GMAT to take it before the new one comes out to help maximize their score out of 800. The new test will drop one of the essays and add a totally new section with separate grading.

When it comes to what I-Banks like in candidates at your age; they are looking for individuals that showed strong performance in undergrade and have the right mentality. I wouldn't necessarily tell I-Banks that you are considering GMAT b/c they may not want you to leave in a few years, it's hard to say b/c each will look at it differently. Better to be safe and not tell them plans, or put GMAT on resume. Bottom line is though, you really need some work experience to be considered for a top MBA or Masters in Finance. So best of luck in your job search, and if you have extra time and know you want to go to school in the next 5 years, definitely use your spare time to study for GMAT. It is extremely challenging to study while working full time. Best of luck to you!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Starting to think about the GMAT   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2011, 16:15