Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting with quants - what to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Starting with quants - what to do? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 13:01
Hi,

For not too long ago I started reading for the GMAT - which is hard when you don't know anyone who has actually done it.
After some googling I found the GMAT Club-site, which was a good comfort.

I understood what needed to be done, and how to do it - sort of.

To me, it seemed like the following three books was the most essential. I currently have them in front of me, and they were my game plan:

MGMAT Foundations
MGMAT SC
OG 13
+ some practice test that I have downloaded

I read through the first two books a while ago, and proceeded to doing questions in the OG 13. After some hours of effort I stopped answering them since I realized that my foundations should be stronger before I proceed. A lot of my answers in quant were wrong - which was frustrating.

This is exactly why I am posting this right now, and are asking for help.

I recently graduated with a bachelor in PR and are currently working mon-fri. My workday involves a lot of language and writing, so even though the English grammatical part is not perfect atm., I know that I can make this part on my own.

What I have a harder time to understand is How in H*** I am going to get better in maths.

I hope - or almost pray - that someone here can post a strategy for those of us that don't know that much math, which can help me - and all the others in the same position - towards gold and glory on the gmat quant!

I have barely done maths in the recent five years, but have done a lot of the concepts during high school. I just need some refreshing with a dessert on top.
Now I have read through the whole MGMAT Foundations book, taken notes and finished all the questions. I understood alot of it - which felt great, but when I stepped over to the OG I answered wrong on alot of the questions.

I have realized that the OG should be my last step before the test, and I need a greater understanding of the fundamentals in quant before I proceed with the task-solving.

What do you guys suggest?
Is the best way to learn by just proceeding with the OG-questions, and then learn by reading answers, or are there other ways?
If anyone have a plan or strategy that have worked out (from scratch) for yourself, I would be reeeeeeally greateful!

Just to point it out, it is not as if I need to go fra a good quant score to a great, we are talking from really bad to great. Has anyone been there?

Hoping for the best, thank you:)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: Starting with quants - what to do? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 21:17
Expert's post
Hi Fred,

Ok, first thing: ur about 7 levels of despair deeper than you need to be! The math can get fairly involved but isn't impossible to understand.

Second thing: you asked for a study plan, here's an eval of what you have so far: MGMT foundations are just that, foundations! there's a gap between that and GMAT questions, so it's NORMAL that you understood the material but were unable to crack the actual test. And the OG is a great repository for questions, but sadly not a great learning tool. I have a sequence of books I think you should go through, but that's the 4th thing, so read on, good sir.

Third thing: it's my unscientific belief that reading and understanding something requires 50% mastery. Being able to DO that thing independently (and consistently) requires 100% mastery. You're not there yet untill you are able to DO. Focus on this

Fourth thing: study plan recommendation, get the Kaplan GMAT premier, or the Princeton Review: Cracking the GMAT, both books are more advanced than foundations, but still keep the teaching level fairly simple and easy to understand. Your goal will not be to complete the book by reading through it, but to challenge yourself with every learn, and overcome your errors to make sure you not only accomplish all questions right, but you do so consistently, and unassisted. From there, you can buy kaplan/princeton GMAT math book, or if you're making good progress, the kaplan GMAT 800 book, which focuses on tougher questions, and attack that.

Fifth thing: after you've done all this, and feel ready to do a full test, you might still take a kick in the teeth, dont let it get you down! The. Test. Is. A. Humbling. Experience! Let ur first score be a benchmark, and do more of step 4: learn, overcome, accomplish.

Don't panic, this is very doable, but the devil is in the details.

PM me if you're interested in discussing further,
Dave

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: Starting with quants - what to do? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 05:09
FredheimK wrote:
Hi,

For not too long ago I started reading for the GMAT - which is hard when you don't know anyone who has actually done it.
After some googling I found the GMAT Club-site, which was a good comfort.

I understood what needed to be done, and how to do it - sort of.

To me, it seemed like the following three books was the most essential. I currently have them in front of me, and they were my game plan:

MGMAT Foundations
MGMAT SC
OG 13
+ some practice test that I have downloaded

I read through the first two books a while ago, and proceeded to doing questions in the OG 13. After some hours of effort I stopped answering them since I realized that my foundations should be stronger before I proceed. A lot of my answers in quant were wrong - which was frustrating.

This is exactly why I am posting this right now, and are asking for help.

I recently graduated with a bachelor in PR and are currently working mon-fri. My workday involves a lot of language and writing, so even though the English grammatical part is not perfect atm., I know that I can make this part on my own.

What I have a harder time to understand is How in H*** I am going to get better in maths.

I hope - or almost pray - that someone here can post a strategy for those of us that don't know that much math, which can help me - and all the others in the same position - towards gold and glory on the gmat quant!

I have barely done maths in the recent five years, but have done a lot of the concepts during high school. I just need some refreshing with a dessert on top.
Now I have read through the whole MGMAT Foundations book, taken notes and finished all the questions. I understood alot of it - which felt great, but when I stepped over to the OG I answered wrong on alot of the questions.

I have realized that the OG should be my last step before the test, and I need a greater understanding of the fundamentals in quant before I proceed with the task-solving.

What do you guys suggest?
Is the best way to learn by just proceeding with the OG-questions, and then learn by reading answers, or are there other ways?
If anyone have a plan or strategy that have worked out (from scratch) for yourself, I would be reeeeeeally greateful!

Just to point it out, it is not as if I need to go fra a good quant score to a great, we are talking from really bad to great. Has anyone been there?

Hoping for the best, thank you:)

Get down to covering the basics of quant and go through the content for quant. If I were you I'd prefer the MGMAT guides. Don't move an inch anywhere till you are completely 100% sure of the content. While you are covering the content you could do a few practice questions from the OG every now and then.

Once you feel you've done the best possible job to cover content, go through the OG and see how you are doing. Revise the content again and then get down and dirty with the Mock tests. GMAT Club has a great mock test set for quant; it helped me out immensely :)

Hope this helps!

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting with quants - what to do? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 12:16
Thanks for the input to both of you!
I guess it is just hard to realize that the road is a lot longer than I originally thought. Especially with a full-time job on top of it.

It helps a lot just getting help on what to reed. Kudos! ;)
Re: Starting with quants - what to do?   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2014, 12:16