Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting Work After School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Starting Work After School [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 05:56
I'm not really worried about the curriculum or the pace of life at school, I'm sure it will be difficult, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

What I'm worried about is when I return to the workforce in a role that will likely be much senior to the one I am in now.

In other words, assuming all goes well and I land a good job where I have direct reports, how do I have any credibility in the eyes of these people when they will have company-specific knowledge of the company and I'll just be the "MBA" that shows up.

The work I do in my current role is very specific to the industry and company that I work for. I can't imagine how anyone from outside the industry or company could possibly take over my manager's or director's position. I know not every industry is like this, but I still imagine if I move into consulting or corporate finance or whatever, any people that are working under me are going to seem much more qualified and knowledgeable (at least at first). I mean it will be great that I will have taken classes on financial accounting, ethics, organizational behavior, supply chain management, etc... but really how much of those skill-sets are really going to help me assimilate to whichever company I end up at?

I realize there are plenty of valuable things that I will learn through all the group-work etc. but still I think about what it will be like starting at a new company in a new industry after school and it just seems like it will be difficult to hit the ground running.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:22
I call it "being new."

No matter how much you know, it's a sign of respect for your coworkers that you spend a good amount of time listening and learning when you start a new job.

Anyone in a new position is in the same boat - you may face supervising someone who has been passed over for the job you now have. Resentment is fairly likely: who wants to be told what to do by the new guy? That's where your interpersonal skills are going to matter more than anything you know about making the spreadsheets balance.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Assuming you take a traditional route, your job is likely to be replacing someone else who was hired out of b-school. I don't think you'll be traveling an unknown path.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:36
Some good points, yeah I guess the sort of resentment you mention is what I'm anticipating, because I've definitely been in a position where someone is brought in and their subordinates have to bring them up to speed on things, I guess its just a necessary awkward situation.

I'm not interested in i-banking at all, but it amazes me that some MBA's move into an associate position knowing next to nothing about the industry, and they're immediately supervising these money-hungry analysts that have been killing themselves for two years.
  [#permalink] 19 Feb 2007, 06:36