Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 09:33
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

State officials report that soaring rates of liability

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 531
Location: Bangalore,India
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 377

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 21:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:57) correct 39% (01:09) wrong based on 1046 sessions
State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C. because Rates for is the idiomatic usage.

Are Options A&B wrong only for the reason they are using "rates of"
is there any other flaw in these options plz explain y other options are wrong.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mikemcgarry on 25 Feb 2014, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
OA not Provided
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 304
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 9

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 23:56
in addition to the idiomatic usage...

A. It already states "soaring rates". So mentioned "risen" again is not needed.
for B "are a force for" when compared to C "are forcing" makes C look proper to me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 09:44
There is also a verb issue here. On my first try of this question, I thought it should be "have risen" because the rates are rising and continue to rise. But, this one is tricky, because they put the word soaring in the sentence. This meaning already indicates the action is happening and continuing to happen, so the present perfect is not needed! Present tense works!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 954
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 918 [0], given: 40

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 10:05
IMO C.

Clues:
report
soaring rates - no need of rise/risen
"forcing cutbacks" is better than "to force cutbacks"
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 6

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 06:42
C is best.

In A, D and E --> 'soaring' and 'risen' redundant

Between B and C --> C it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 442
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 112

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 09:28
agre with Seekmba ...yes C it is
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 145
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 12

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 14:50
C
everything else is redundant when you say soaring...risen
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Idiomatic Usage rates for [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 17:22
[quote="RaviChandra"]State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force

souring and rises are redundant as they try to convey the same meaning. Between B and C "rates for" is the correct idiom.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 206
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 5

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 19:30
I have chosen C for this question:

A. "Have risen" is redundant because "soaring" already describes the rates. Also, "to force" should be changed to "are forcing" to describe what the rates are doing.

B. "Are a force for" is wordy and is not the correct answer.

C. This answer choice is correct. The words "have risen" are no longer in the sentence and do not cause redundancy. Also, "are forcing" is correctly used here.

D. "Soaring rises" is redundant.

E. Again, "have risen" is redundant. Also, "to force" should be "are forcing."
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 224
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 14

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 08:46
Vote for C :

Original sentence: have risen - Perfect-future tense
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 22:16
I understand the fact that in B) 'are a force' is unidiomatic but what about 'rates for liability insurance' in C). Isn't that unidiomatic as well? As in, 'the rate of attrition' is right and not 'the rate for attrition'. Kindly help me through this.
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 1481 [4] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 22:39
4
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
I understand the fact that in B) 'are a force' is unidiomatic but what about 'rates for liability insurance' in C). Isn't that unidiomatic as well? As in, 'the rate of attrition' is right and not 'the rate for attrition'. Kindly help me through this.


"rates for" and "rates of" are both idiomatic: it depends on the subject. If the subject is a price "rates for" is correct, is the subject is a measure/rate "rates of" is correct ('the rate of attrition')

However this idioms are not tested with high frequency, so you can arrive at the correct answer without knowing the difference; just keep in mind that just because you know that "the rate of" is idiomatic, it does not mean that a change in the words makes the construct unidiomatic: there can be multiple correct versions of the thing (as here "rates of/for").
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 249
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 04:57
RaviChandra wrote:
State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C. because Rates for is the idiomatic usage.

Are Options A&B wrong only for the reason they are using "rates of"
is there any other flaw in these options plz explain y other options are wrong.


This problem is one of few that really demands understanding of specific words on the SC.

First of all, "soaring" already implies a rise. Thus, any options that use "rise" are redundant. A, D and E gone. Second, the rates are not a force. They are not this spec ops unit that's going to infiltrate something and neither are they some divine entity that will cast its might upon us. So "rates... are a force" is wrong. B gone.

Even if we do not omit certain options because of "rise":

A) implies that the intent behind the rising rates is to force cutbacks, as if rates are a living, thinking enitity that can make such decisions. That's not the intended meaning of the author, so A distorts the meaning. GONE

D) implies that the actual rises are forcing cutbacks.. They're not forcing anything. Rises is (in a reduntant manner) trying to modify insurances but fails to do so since the option says "rises in". This messes up the intended meaning. GONE

E) This implies that the actual rates have come out of their dwelling with the intent of forcing cutbacks.. This also completely messes up the intended meaning.

So, even if we ignore the grammatical errors, we still have consistent errors of meaning in all of the wrong options. Thus, C is the only adequate answer choice.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 03:14
RaviChandra wrote:
State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C. because Rates for is the idiomatic usage.

Are Options A&B wrong only for the reason they are using "rates of"
is there any other flaw in these options plz explain y other options are wrong.


The underlined portion " State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 636
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 284

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 06:06
Rates of = Measure
Rates for = Price Charged

_________________

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 451
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 721 [0], given: 289

State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 14:43
State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2653
Followers: 509

Kudos [?]: 3931 [0], given: 727

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 15:33
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 295
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 27

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 24 May 2014, 00:25
"rate of" and "rate for " is not explained in the dictionary though the two meanings are explained in dictionaries.

how do we know that "rate for" refer to price/amount of money. we can only learn from this sc question.

moreover, gmat now tests idioms less than meaning. this is a good news for non native.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 24

Re: State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2014, 14:17
C.

soaring ___ eliminate all options which has raises, its redundant, A, D and E. B, are a force incorrect.

RaviChandra wrote:
State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C. because Rates for is the idiomatic usage.

Are Options A&B wrong only for the reason they are using "rates of"
is there any other flaw in these options plz explain y other options are wrong.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 39
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 26

State officials report that soaring rates of liability [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2015, 07:55
RaviChandra wrote:
State officials report that soaring rates of liability insurance have risen to force cutbacks in the operations of everything from local governments and school districts to day-care centers and recreational facilities.

(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C. because Rates for is the idiomatic usage.

Are Options A&B wrong only for the reason they are using "rates of"
is there any other flaw in these options plz explain y other options are wrong.


IMO - C
(A) rates of liability insurance have risen to force >> correct idiom is - rates for. to force - this wrongly implying that rates have rises just to force...where as intended meaning should be rates rises are forcing....Also, soaring & rises are redundant
(B) rates of liability insurance are a force for >> correct idiom is - rates for. Correct usage can be are a force for cutting back (for...V-ing)
(C) rates for liability insurance are forcing >> CORRECT
(D) rises in liability insurance rates are forcing >> soaring & rises are redundant
(E) liability insurance rates have risen to force >> to force - this wrongly implying that rates have rises just to force...where as intended meaning should be rates rises are forcing....Also, soaring & risen are redundant
State officials report that soaring rates of liability   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2015, 07:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
State officials report that soaring rates of liability goodyear2013 0 25 Feb 2014, 14:43
1 State officials report that soaring rates of liability goalsnr 4 13 Jul 2008, 14:39
State officials report that soaring rates of liability KC 3 13 Nov 2006, 21:02
State officials report that soaring rates of liability Fig 5 11 Aug 2006, 06:44
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the joemama142000 3 09 Dec 2005, 15:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

State officials report that soaring rates of liability

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.