Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

State researchers have found that since the oil price

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 698 [1] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
State researchers have found that since the oil price [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (02:30) correct 46% (01:44) wrong based on 119 sessions
State researchers have found that since the oil price increases of the 1970s, there has been a decline in home energy consumption. They concluded that almost all of the decline has been achieved through reduced standards of living and changes in the way people spend their time. Each of the following, if true, would support the
conclusion above EXCEPT:

(A) Sales of portable heaters rose as families concentrated their winter activities in a limited number of rooms.
(B) During the winter months, more people frequented public places such as libraries and community centers and, on the average, spent considerably longer periods in them than they had previously.
(C) More than 39 percent of households were able to decrease energy costs substantially by having relatively inexpensive work done to improve the efficiency of their existing heating systems.
(D) At least 59 percent of households maintained a lower indoor temperature than they had been accustomed to maintain on very cold days.
(E) Members of at least 60 percent of households showered for shorter periods of time than they had previously.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: ExceptX Question [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:07
Legendaddy wrote:
State researchers have found that since the oil price increases of the 1970s, there has been a decline in home energy consumption. They concluded that almost all of the decline has been achieved through reduced standards of living and changes in the way people spend their time. Each of the following, if true, would support the
conclusion above EXCEPT:

(A) Sales of portable heaters rose as families concentrated their winter activities in a limited number of rooms.
(B) During the winter months, more people frequented public places such as libraries and community centers and, on the average, spent considerably longer periods in them than they had previously.
(C) More than 39 percent of households were able to decrease energy costs substantially by having relatively inexpensive work done to improve the efficiency of their existing heating systems.
(D) At least 59 percent of households maintained a lower indoor temperature than they had been accustomed to maintain on very cold days.
(E) Members of at least 60 percent of households showered for shorter periods of time than they had previously.

My answer is C because inexpensive work neither come under the standards of living nor the way people spend their time. Make sense?

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: State researchers have found that since the oil price [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 00:36
D. Maintaining lower than usual indoor temperature would require more fuel to burn. Hence high starndards of living.

Why is the answer not D?

Please explain.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 698 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: State researchers have found that since the oil price [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 02:39
sidhu09 wrote:
D. Maintaining lower than usual indoor temperature would require more fuel to burn. Hence high starndards of living.

Why is the answer not D?

Please explain.
(D) is reduced standard of living. Your logic would work if the option stated that the days were extremely hot.

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: State researchers have found that since the oil price [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 19:31
+1 C

People reduced their energy consumption by improving the efficiency of their heating systems.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 56

Re: State researchers have found that since the oil price [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 06:38
+1 C.

Each of the other choices either causes reduced standard of living or changes the way people spend their time. However C shows standard of living was maintained without much cost.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 46

Re: State researchers have found that since the oil price [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 21:23
though " "C" is the winner .......as decreasing cost by relatively inexpensive work done to raise efficiency .......... does not reduce quality of life......IN THIS CASE GOOD HEATING ARRANGEMENTS....

LOGIC IN " A" CONFUSES ME....
(A) Sales of portable heaters rose as families concentrated their winter activities in a limited number of rooms.....SHOULD'NT HEATERS PURCHASED BE REDUCED IF LIMITED NUMBER OF ROOMS ARE BEING USED.........NO DOUBT QUALITY OF LIFE( ROOM REDUCTION) IS BEING AFFECTED.... BUT HEATER SHOULD REDUCE....???????????
Re: State researchers have found that since the oil price   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2014, 21:23