Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 17:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

29% (01:38) correct 71% (00:58) wrong based on 14 sessions
State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance during the summer months when traffic is heaviest and less during the winter months when traffic is lightest. Therefore, the average number of highway accidents per car should be lower during summer months than during the winter when less money is available for safety and maintenance.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The price of gas rises during the heaviest traffic season.
(B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
(C) Routine road maintenance projects completed during the summer months make roads and highways safer during rain and snow storms year around.
(D) Insurance companies reduce auto insurance premiums if drivers successfully pass safety training courses.
(E) Highway lane lines are repainted every year in state X resulting in safer nighttime driving conditions year around.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 18:01
Is the OA right?

E seems VERY out of scope.

I would have gone with B

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 19:11
:shock: shocked. Pls recheck E is way out of scope

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 01:45
Hi,
In first look, i also pickd B , but after checkign the OA as E, but I think E is correct :

First part of the Arguement implies that in summer maintenance is of high standard than Winter season.
Conclusion states that, it is because of maintenance which cause the Higher Accidents.

To attack the Conclusion, 'E' states that highway Maintenance(Painting) standard is same through out the year. So, accident rates doesnot depends on the Maintenance......

I think you can get something from my explanation...
but i guess its very tricky ... only after knowing OA as E , above reasoning strikd to me...

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 10:41
dixitraghav wrote:
State X spends more money on highway safety and maintenance during the summer months when traffic is heaviest and less during the winter months when traffic is lightest. Therefore, the average number of highway accidents per car should be lower during summer months than during the winter when less money is available for safety and maintenance.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) The price of gas rises during the heaviest traffic season.
(B) Traffic congestion significantly increases the likelihood of accidents resulting from road rage or inattention.
(C) Routine road maintenance projects completed during the summer months make roads and highways safer during rain and snow storms year around.
(D) Insurance companies reduce auto insurance premiums if drivers successfully pass safety training courses.
(E) Highway lane lines are repainted every year in state X resulting in safer nighttime driving conditions year around.

This is a nice question. Initially I went with B. But C makes more sense as it stresses that the maintenance projects completed in summar make highways safer in winter. Choice B only addresses the likelihood of accidents. It may be the case that likelihood of accidents is more but actual number of accidents in summar is smaller than the one in winter. Hence, choice B does not do a good job of weakening the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 18:45
The answer should be B.
Are you guys sure about OA?

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 20:04
It should be B, where the only assumption is that heavy traffic leads to congestion.
In C,nothing is being said about the summer months,which is the focus of the argument.

B

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 23:17
C it is. Even with higher spending in summer, winter may have fewer accidents due to the change in conditions
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 07:41
Agree with (B)
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 07:41
'safer' is the word in C , safer compared to what ? safer compared to summer. simple logic

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 01:30
B.... please explain
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 898 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: bellcurve CR [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 02:47
naveen1003 wrote:
B.... please explain

Why did you choose B?

Question asks:
Which of the statement will weaken the conclusion?
It is not talking about the assumption.

Conclusion:
Road accidents should be lower during summer than winters because more money is spent on maintenance during summer.

This gives us a reason why less money is spent on maintenance during winter. It is not due to lack of funds, as author assumed, but due to the reduced need for repairs during winters, for the maintenance that happens in Summer makes the road good to use throughout the year, including winter and rain.

The road condition is essentially the same in both seasons irrespective of the money spent on repairs during those seasons. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that the accidents will increase during winter.

"C" is a convincing weakener.

B, on the other hands, talks nothing about the correlation between summer/winter, road condition or money spent. It instead talks about completely skewed factors that may cause accidents. Such factors as road rage and inattention should be assumed as constant for both seasons.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: bellcurve CR   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2011, 02:47