Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Statement of Purpose Marine Biology (sample)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: NSTU
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Statement of Purpose Marine Biology (sample) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 01:33
Statement of Purpose Marine Biology

The marine environment is a precious asset. Oceans and seas provide 99% of the available living space on the planet which covers 70.9% of the earth’s surface and contain 90% of the biosphere and consequently a large share of global biological diversity. About 1.6 percent of the planet's water is locked up in the polar ice caps and glaciers. Another 0.36 percent is found underground in aquifers and wells. Only about 0.036 percent of the planet's total water supply is found in lakes and rivers. Hence, I always wanted to pursue my studies in Fisheries to get closer to the watery arena. Even, I knew that there are lots of things have to be explored and still much more are need to be done in this field.

I easily adapt to change and welcome the opportunity of a new environment. I am an aggressive quick thinker and skilled communicator these I believe are important traits to have on field. During my graduation, I acquainted skills from - Basic sciences and humanities, Fishery statistics, Fishery biochemistry, Fisheries Resources and Management, Fisheries Environment and Ecology, Fishery Economics, Fisheries Microbiology, Aquaculture, Fish Processing Technology, Fishery Engineering departments, which has influenced me in building my knowledge upon the strong fundamentals in Fisheries science. I was formally introduced to ‘Marine biology’ from many department which offered different closely associated courses such as, Taxonomy of Fish and Shellfish, Anatomy and Physiology of Fish, Biology of Fish, Marine Fishery Resources, Limnology, Marine Biology, General Oceanography, Fishery oceanography, Aquatic Environment and Biodiversity, Fundamental Microbiology, Aquatic Microbiology, Fish Genetics and Biotechnology, Fish Endocrinology and Reproductive Biology. Out of 64 courses, Marine biology is the subject which has dragged my attention to its fullest. During my four years of graduate studies I actively participated in international seminars, symposiums, conferences and national workshops. This led to development of my organizational skills, leadership qualities and also the ability to co-operate and work in a group.

I am passionate about Fisheries science from my childhood days. Keeping high dreams and thoughts in my mind, I joined Fisheries science. During my school days I used to breed both freshwater and brackish water fishes. This hobby of mine gradually grew to such an extent which persuaded me to take up my graduate studies in Fisheries science. To update myself in the field I opted to work part time in an aquaculture farm owned by our senior alumni. This experience gave me need full insight about how an ornamental fish farm works. I have a fresh water pond at my home, where I am in this hobby since I was 9 years old. I am a keen observer of aquatic organisms among fish is my first priority which made me to rear, acclimatise and breed many indigenous and exotic species of fishes.

Now, in this burgeoning world population has created an imbalance in the environment through over exploitation of natural resources leading to global warming which interim has affected the aquatic ecosystem all of these directly contributing to the global warming. At this point of time I feel it is very important for me to pursue masters’ in Marine biology for the better understanding of our oceans. Later, the technique whichever I will be learning during my course and research works could be adopted to carry out further research. I am eager to learn more about the coral reef fishes with the guidance of people who has ample experience in the related field both theoretically and practically. The reason being, rich biodiversity of Australian marine waters which has innumerable species diversity is best suited for me to work, learn and embark upon.

I came to know about the masters’ programme offered in your university through university web site and went through the webpage to learn more. I am very fascinated with the research works that are carried out in the university and as my interest falls in the same line. It will be greatest of privilege to me if your university provides me the opportunity to carry on my further education in the university. I request you to consider my application favourably and provide me an opportunity to pursue my higher studies in your esteemed university.

Quote:
Statement of Purpose Marine Biology (sample)   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2011, 01:33