Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 10:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:17) correct 44% (01:13) wrong based on 97 sessions
Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train starts from Station Q and travels at a constant speed of x mph towards Station T. At 12 noon of the same day, another train starts from Station T and travels at a constant speed of y mph towards Station Q. At what time will the trains meet?

(1) y = 4x/3
(2) x = 100 mph
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 578 [2] , given: 135

Premium Member
Re: Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SaraLotfy wrote:
I don't know how to solve these distance/rate question in the two "meeting" at some point in the middle. Some questions ask at what time would they meet and others ask about the distance at which they would meet.

Can someone please clarify the equation I should use. I know I'm supposed to subtract rates, but can someone please give me a quick run down over the procedures.

Thanks

Remember 2 things :

I.Two objects moving in the same direction,subtract their speeds, call it V_{sd}

II.Two objects moving in opposite direction, add their speeds, call it V_{od}

The distance between them be fixed as D. Thus, as we know that Distance = Speed*Time, for the first case, we have Time taken to meet = \frac{D}{V_{sd}}

Similarly, for the second case, we have Time = \frac{D}{V_{od}}

Now, if you want the distance at which they meet, just multiply the time calculated above, fix the reference from which object do you want to calculate the distance, and multiply this time with the speed of that object.

Also, you can refer to this post : cars-p-and-q-started-simultaneously-from-opposite-ends-of-a-159355.html#p1264794

Hope this helps,

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
honchos wrote:
Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train starts from Station Q and travels at a constant speed of x mph towards Station T. At 12 noon of the same day, another train starts from Station T and travels at a constant speed of y mph towards Station Q. At what time will the trains meet?
(1) y = 4x/3
(2) x = 100 mph

haha .. there is no mention of distance between Q and T .. neither in question nor in any of the statements .. distance could be 10000 miles or 10 miles .. not possible to get the answer ..

Its E ..

funny one ..

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 23

Re: Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 03:30
I don't know how to solve these distance/rate question in the two "meeting" at some point in the middle. Some questions ask at what time would they meet and others ask about the distance at which they would meet.

Can someone please clarify the equation I should use. I know I'm supposed to subtract rates, but can someone please give me a quick run down over the procedures.

Thanks

Struggling: make or break attempt

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 23

Re: Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 23:48
mau5 wrote:
SaraLotfy wrote:

Thanks

Remember 2 things :

I.Two objects moving in the same direction,subtract their speeds, call it V_{sd}

II.Two objects moving in opposite direction, add their speeds, call it V_{od}

The distance between them be fixed as D. Thus, as we know that Distance = Speed*Time, for the first case, we have Time taken to meet = \frac{D}{V_{sd}}

Similarly, for the second case, we have Time = \frac{D}{V_{od}}

Now, if you want the distance at which they meet, just multiply the time calculated above, fix the reference from which object do you want to calculate the distance, and multiply this time with the speed of that object.

Also, you can refer to this post : cars-p-and-q-started-simultaneously-from-opposite-ends-of-a-159355.html#p1264794

Hope this helps,

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed :)

Struggling: make or break attempt

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 270

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 07:10
honchos wrote:

(1) y = 4x/3
(2) x = 100 mph

Oh I see, they got me on this one.

E for sure

Cheers!
J :)
Re: Station Q is to the East of Station T. At 12 noon, a train s   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2013, 07:10