Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Statistician: Changes in the Sun s luminosity correlate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Statistician: Changes in the Sun s luminosity correlate [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 12:51
Hi 780gmatpossible,

What is the OA? My ans is E. This is a method of resoning based question. So we need to find out an ans choice of which each part is correct.

Statician

Premise:Clearly the Sun's ....on earth
Premise: Contratry to accepted ....among metrologists.

Conclusion: Changes in the Sun’s luminosity correlate exceedingly well with average land temperatures on Earth

Meteorologist:

Premise: Any professional meteorologist will tell you that in a system as complicated as that giving rise to the climate, no significant aspect can be controlled by a single variable.

Conclusion: I disagree

A: supporting a conclusion about a specific case by invoking a relevant generalization - Meterologist doesnot support the conclusion of Statician. Instead it opposes it.Wrong ans

B: producing a single counterexample that establishes that a generalization is false as state - No where in the argument did metrologist provide any example nor did it generalize anything.

C: reanalyzing a correlation as reflecting the multiple effects of a single cause

reanalyzing a correlation - correct; mentioned in the argument

reflecting the multiple effects of a single cause - opposite is mentioned in the argument(single cause - sun, effects not mentioned)

D: rejecting a conclusion because it is a proposition that cannot be experimentally tested - info about experimental tests is not present in the argument

E: pointing out that potentially unfavorable evident has been systematically neglected - Correct Ans

I have come to this ans but still i have some doubt on the usage of unfavorable. Please provide the OA

Kudos always encourages me

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 13:29
I dont think E is correct because the "meteorologist" is appealing to other "meteorologists" who are experts on the subject and their expertise is relevant. So why is this questionable?

Foe example Below is questionable because Dr langhorne a neurologist is not expert in Dental care: -

“World-renowned neurologist Dr. Samuel Langhorne says that EZBrite Tooth Strips are the best for whitening your teeth. So, you know if you buy EZBrite you will soon have the whitest teeth possible!”

The primary defect in this argument is its use of a neurologist as an authority figure in an area of dentistry. While Dr. Langhorne can reasonably be appealed to in matters of the brain, dental care would be considered outside the scope of his expertise.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Re:   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2013, 13:29