Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 17:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stay Healthy, Score Higher

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
9 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [9] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Stay Healthy, Score Higher [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
For most of us prepping for the GMAT, at some point in time we encounter varing levels of stress. Stress can be manifested in numerous ways, from irritability to an outright catharsis and physical breakdown. However, a key component to getting that extra 5-10% on T-day is to minimize stress by staying healthy and alert. Here are a few personal reccommendations on how to stay healthy during your preparation. Please feel free to add your suggestions as well.

1. Sleep. Enough said. Lack of sleep results in dismal performance, not to mention a weakening of the immune system. Get into a good sleep routine and tack on a few extra hours on the weekends.
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/64/7/E25

2. Eat properly. Our bodies are much more sophisticated than the best Ferarri on the market. Would you put cheap, low grade 87 octaine into a Ferarri engine? Definately not. Likewise, fuel your body with the best foods you can: fish loaded with Omega B for increased memory, garlic for immune system boost and pure energy, http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/f ... 21,00.html kale for antioxidant cleansers, yoghurt for minerals, and my personal favorite, KIMCHEE. Fresh korean KIMCHEE is the miracle cure all for whatever ails you (except your social life). KIMCHEE without MSG is hard to find, but when you get it in your system, it immediately attacks any viruses or bacteria. KIMCHEE is like 110 high performance octaine, the highest grade available. Have you ever met a Korean that lacked vitality? http://www.treelight.com/health/nutriti ... althy.html

3. Take multivitamins. These potent antioxidants work wonders for the various organs. Make sure to get the ones with ginkyo bilboa, coenzyme Q10, and celenium.

4. Get B-12 Injection(s). If you really feel worn out and/or depressed, these liquid miracle shots can put you back into the game in no time. I get one or two a year from a local ENT here in Osaka, and they really help. http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=1568

5. Start an exercise routine. Walk, jog, cycle, swim, lift weights, whatever suits your fancy. The key is to get your blood circulating so all these vitamins can work their way to the brain and the cells in order to be utilized most efficiently. Exercising a few times a week also aids in better sleep and builds self esteem. Try starting the morning off with a 20 minute jog and watch how much better you feel!

6. Drink green tea. The Japanese and Chinese have got it right. For over 4,000 years the Chinese have been drinking green tea as both a medicinal healer and health enhancer. Green tea contains ECGC, one of the most powerful antioxidants known (recently published in the Harvard Medical Association Journal) which wards off certain cancers and keeps blood pressure low. Green tea in available all over the place, but the convenience store version doesn`t hold a candle to what you can get at an asian food and kanpoyaku store.

7. Take a hot bath. A bath relaxes the muscles and relieves the sinuses preparing you for a deeper, more relaxing sleep.

8. Get some sunlight. No, you don`t need to go sunbathing all day, however it is beneficial to get away from your PC every now and then for a walk in the park or hike up a local mountain. Sunlight triggers the increased production of the feel-good brain chemical, serotonin - which, as well as controlling your sleep patterns, body temperature, and :banana drive, lifts your mood and helps ward off depression. http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/ ... cle_ID=451

Preparing for a 7XX GMAT is a bit like training to go into space; one must strive for optimum mental and physical condition levels to best complete the mission.

These are just my personal reccommendations. Everybody is different so through trial and error, see what works best for you. One thing is certain however, a healthy body maintains a healthy mind, and a healthy mind results in better performance when you need it most.

Please feel free to add any of your suggestions. Thanx

Last edited by GMATT73 on 29 Oct 2005, 23:38, edited 6 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you, Matt!! With such an expertise in taking care of health, you should study medicine rather than biz :wink: . I don't know how about others but I myself would avoid drinking green tea :roll: Drinking a bottle of green tea can kill my whole night sleeping, enervating my mental as well as physical condition. :? . Anyway, you can try drinking it several times to see how much your body gets adapted to it. Btw, I studied a course of Chinese traditional medicine which teach us what to eat and drink as to keep body in good condition. If anyone feel interested, I can post some recipes :wink:
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 04:39
Laxie,

Try not to drink the green tea after 5pm as the caffeine content does tend to keep you awake in much the same way coffee does. You should be able to get some good "cha" in Guangzou.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2005, 08:19
Matt,

I just saw this post of yours and am amazed!

Whoever follows your tips will definitely stay healthy, mentally and physically.

I will try the fish eating, hot bath, photosynthesis :lol: , and vitamins!

Thanks again for a great post!

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 12:13
Hot bath is not for everyones' heart! I feel bad after hot bath!!! And can not sleep well!!! Be carefull when give such an advice!!!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 12:16
chudik wrote:
Hot bath is not for everyones' heart! I feel bad after hot bath!!! And can not sleep well!!! Be carefull when give such an advice!!!

Just like eating fish can log a bone in your throat.

Matt gave very good advices and people should try it at their own discretion and know what their limit is, this pertains to all activities, not just the ones Matt posted.

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 11:17
I would add - think positive and optimistic - it will add to your helthy mood. Still, be realistic :lol:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:26
wow... amazing tips... in addition to MATT's... many members asked for this and they finally got it!

Out of all, I think SLEEP is the most essential... you feel so fresh and energized in the morning if you slept enough... definition of "enough" is different for everyone though :sleep
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 16:26
I think that when test day nears, sleep and managing anxiety are the two most important factors. Of course, these factors can conspire to work against you. My greatest fear is that the night before the test I won't be able to sleep, which will lead to a panic attack; or maybe I'll have a panic attack and wont' be able to sleep.

Of course, lack of sleep on test day means that you won't be able to focus, and complex problems might be extremely difficult to tackle if your mind is not fresh. Anxiety during the test can be very distracting. Either scenario could cost major points on test day.

All the tips in this thread are great (depending on each person according to his/her own needs). If I can just get a good nights sleep prior to the exam, I think I can walk in with confidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 06:59
Thanks for the tips. I believe diet is a significant part of GMAT preparation.
I have started taking focus factor capsules to improve my ability to focus.
It seems to work as I don't waste much time idling away in useless thoughts.

I also felt that getting up early morning at 5:30 am and doing around 2 hours of preperation before going to office is very useful. I am usually not as efficient in the evenings after work.

Also, reading helps calm the nerves. Reading the right subject matter helps you prepare for interviews and takes your mind of the intense preperation of GMAT.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 17:28
I think diet is very important.
We should try to control how much we eat when we hungry. If I am very hungry I cannot control myself and eat too much, then become very lazy. Difficult to concentrate in GMAT when you are too full.
Eating healthy food and no alcohol is very helpfull.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
I wanted to add one more thing.

DONT TAKE HEAVY MEAL WITHIN 1-1.5 HOURS PRIOR TO THE TEST. I mean if your test is at 11:00 AM then don't eat anything heavy, except juice etc., after 9:30 AM. There is a scientific reason behind this. After eating heavy meals all your digestive organs start working hard (contracting muscles, secreting enzymes). So blood supply to these organs is increased and blood supply to brain is decresed. Thats why you feel dizzy after heavy meals.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 07:28
Thanks this was helpful
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 09:08
ps_dahiya wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing.

DONT TAKE HEAVY MEAL WITHIN 1-1.5 HOURS PRIOR TO THE TEST. I mean if your test is at 11:00 AM then don't eat anything heavy, except juice etc., after 9:30 AM. There is a scientific reason behind this. After eating heavy meals all your digestive organs start working hard (contracting muscles, secreting enzymes). So blood supply to these organs is increased and blood supply to brain is decresed. Thats why you feel dizzy after heavy meals.

Food Coma . . . ain't that the truth.

Take some omega 3's too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2006, 19:18
Any more information on the dietary supplements? I have started taking some focus pills to improve my concentration levels.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2006, 03:46
ArvGMAT wrote:
Any more information on the dietary supplements? I have started taking some focus pills to improve my concentration levels.

Which ones? Ginko Biloba?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 08:44
What would you say would be good to have the night before/morning of the actual exam? What would be good to bring to the exam to have during the breaks?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 12:34
in general, i feel a lot more effective in everyday life when i eat breakfast. don't forget the most important meal of the day! and avoid sugar early in the morning before the test bc the boost you get from sugar will wear off early.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stay Healthy, Score Higher [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 21:54
Do you think its a good idea to take benedryl or nyquil a night before the test and get some good rest? I have a feeling I wont be able to sleep because of the stress and anxiety and I CANNOT perform well without good sleep.
Ofcourse I will try it couple of times beforehand when I give my practice test. But I am wondering if anyone else over here have tried it?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 25

Re: Stay Healthy, Score Higher [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 11:48
WOW!! Awesome post!!! Thanx!!! I am gonna start drinking green tea loll :D

Believe in yourself.

Re: Stay Healthy, Score Higher   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2009, 11:48