Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stay in the United States

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Stay in the United States [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 08:54
Hello. Right now I am trying to get in one of the top 10 MBA in the United States. Once I finish the master, my purpose is to stay in the USA. How easy is to get a job in that moment for foreign people? I do not have immigrant visa, but I suppose it will help a lot to have a MBA from one of those universities to get the visa, or a green card.
Do you think is really hard to stay? or how do you see the situation?

Thank you very much for your help
Expert Post
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 1967 [0], given: 667

Re: Stay in the United States [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 09:30
Expert's post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Stay in the United States [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 16:17
ddgg wrote:
Hello. Right now I am trying to get in one of the top 10 MBA in the United States. Once I finish the master, my purpose is to stay in the USA. How easy is to get a job in that moment for foreign people? I do not have immigrant visa, but I suppose it will help a lot to have a MBA from one of those universities to get the visa, or a green card.
Do you think is really hard to stay? or how do you see the situation?

Thank you very much for your help

It depends on a variety of things beyond the MBA.

The way US immigration works is that you need a US-based sponsor. When you're under 18, the sponsor is usually a family member/guardian who is a US citizen. If you're married to an American, then it's your American spouse. For most working professionals, their employer becomes the sponsor.

And the willingness for employers to be sponsors varies a lot by industry. There's a reason why so many foreign nationals post-MBA end up in consulting, finance, or technology, because it's these three industries that are most willing to sponsor internationals.

It seems like Congress is trying to make the process a little easier (while also boosting the number of H1 visas being issued each year), but at the moment the process is still more cumbersome than it should be.

Again, this really has less to do with MBAs, and more to do with the specific job and industries you're looking at. And keep in mind that this is just for a temporary work visa called the H1 (which is a 3-year visa that is renewable once for a maximum of 6 years).

As for the green card, that is yet another set of challenges altogether that I won't get into here. In short though it depends more on your nationality than whether you have an MBA or not. The process is smoother and quicker if you're from Canada, Aus/NZ, EU and certain Asian countries like Singapore or Taiwan. If you're from India or China, it can be a black hole of delays.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Stay in the United States [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 07:08
AlexMBAApply wrote:

It depends on a variety of things beyond the MBA.

The way US immigration works is that you need a US-based sponsor. When you're under 18, the sponsor is usually a family member/guardian who is a US citizen. If you're married to an American, then it's your American spouse. For most working professionals, their employer becomes the sponsor.

And the willingness for employers to be sponsors varies a lot by industry. There's a reason why so many foreign nationals post-MBA end up in consulting, finance, or technology, because it's these three industries that are most willing to sponsor internationals.

It seems like Congress is trying to make the process a little easier (while also boosting the number of H1 visas being issued each year), but at the moment the process is still more cumbersome than it should be.

Again, this really has less to do with MBAs, and more to do with the specific job and industries you're looking at. And keep in mind that this is just for a temporary work visa called the H1 (which is a 3-year visa that is renewable once for a maximum of 6 years).

As for the green card, that is yet another set of challenges altogether that I won't get into here. In short though it depends more on your nationality than whether you have an MBA or not. The process is smoother and quicker if you're from Canada, Aus/NZ, EU and certain Asian countries like Singapore or Taiwan. If you're from India or China, it can be a black hole of delays.

Hi, thank you for the help. It has been very informative
Intern
Intern

Re: Stay in the United States [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 05:46
I had completed my MBA in Oxford university in London. But my moto is i will stay in USA. Is that possible and what i do so that my moto will be successful. Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: Stay in the United States [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 06:46
I think US immigration law works is that you must need a US-based sponsor. When you are at the age of under 18, the sponsor is usually a family member who is a US citizen. If you are married to an American or other, then it's your American spouse. For most working professionals, their employer becomes the sponsor. One thing i also share that willingness for employers to be sponsors varies a lot by industry. There's a reason why so many foreign nationals post-MBA end up in consulting, finance, or technology and other field as well, because it's these three industries that are most willing to sponsor internationals.
Re: Stay in the United States   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 06:46