Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [4] , given: 12

Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 00:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:50) correct 45% (02:08) wrong based on 263 sessions
Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

I. Stephanie
II. Regine
III. Brian

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I or II only
(E) I, II, or III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Dec 2012, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28794 [3] , given: 2849

Re: Speed and Race Problem [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jakolik wrote:
Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?
I. Stephanie II. Regine III. Brian
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I or II only
(E) I, II, or III

Given that S+R=B+2, where S, R, and B are times in which Stephanie, Regine, and Brian completed the race.

Min time one could complete the race is 20/8=2.5 hours. Let's see if Brian could have won the race: if he ran at the fastest rate, he would complete the race in 2.5 hours, so combined time needed for Stephanie and Regine would be S+R=B+2=4.5 hours, which is not possible as sum of two must be more than or equal the twice the least time: 2*2.5=5. So Brian could not have won the race.

There is no reason to distinguish Stephanie and Regine so if one could have won the race, another also could. So both could have won the race.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 14

Re: Speed and Race Problem [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 20:14
which is not possible as sum of two must be more than or equal the twice the least time: 2*2.5=5. So Brian could not have won the race. - I still don't get this line , please explain

Always tag your question

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28794 [1] , given: 2849

Re: Speed and Race Problem [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ichha148 wrote:
which is not possible as sum of two must be more than or equal the twice the least time: 2*2.5=5. So Brian could not have won the race. - I still don't get this line , please explain

The least time one could complete the race is 20/8=2.5 hours, hence S+R\geq{5}. Let's see if Brian could have won the race: best chances to win he would have if he ran at the fastest rate, so he would complete the race in 2.5 hours, so combined time needed for Stephanie and Regine would be S+R=B+2=4.5 hours, but we know that S+B\geq{5}, so even if Brian ran at his fastest rate to win the race, given equation S+R=B+2 can not hold true. Hence Brian could not have won the race.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [2] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Speed and Race Problem [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
A person with a speed of 8 miles per hour will finish the 20 mile race in:
t=20/8=5/2=2.5hrs

There is no person faster than that so the time of S, R and B must be at least 2.5 hours.

Let S, R and B be the time it took each person to finish the race.
S + R = B + 2

So the minimum possible value for S+R = 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 hrs
Therefore, the minimum possible value for B = 5-2 = 3 hrs.

Let us test:
B=3, S=2.5,R=2.5 ==> S and R could win.
B=4, S=3,R=3 ==> B still could not win. Even if we force either S or R to exceed B, the balance will still make B lose.

Answer: I and II only

Impossible is nothing to God.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 19:25
Can someone clarify this.

1. Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race - [D = 20miles]
2. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours - [S + R = B + 2]
3. nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour - [Max Speed = 20/8 = 2.5m/h]

What if
A. S = 2, R = 1.8 then B = 1.8 so S would win the race.
B. S = 1.8, R = 2 then B = 1.8 so B would win the race.
C. S = 2.1, R = 2.1 then B = 2.2 so B would win the race.

Why not option E? Where am i going wrong?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28794 [0], given: 2849

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 00:29
Expert's post
maddyboiler wrote:
Can someone clarify this.

1. Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race - [D = 20miles]
2. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours - [S + R = B + 2]
3. nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour - [Max Speed = 20/8 = 2.5m/h]

What if
A. S = 2, R = 1.8 then B = 1.8 so S would win the race.
B. S = 1.8, R = 2 then B = 1.8 so B would win the race.
C. S = 2.1, R = 2.1 then B = 2.2 so B would win the race.

Why not option E? Where am i going wrong?

We are told that nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, thus the maximum speed is 8 miles per hour not 2.5 miles per hour. Also, it would mean that minimum time one could complete the race is 20/8=2.5 hours, thus your examples are not valid.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 05:40
How did i skip that. Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 13:59
Isn't this a much easier way to solve this?
I may be wrong:

There are 3 times, Ts Tr and (Ts+Tr-2). Now, we're told that the distance is 20 miles and the max they could have run is 8 m/h.
Let's say Brian beat Stephanie, and we'll start with Brian because Brian has the funkiest time formula. You would have
Ts+Tr-2<Ts, picking Stephanie for no reason, we can do this for Regine as well. You will get Tr<2hours. That means Regine is going 20miles/<2hours, which is >8m/h, which is not allowed. So he cannot beat Regine, and if you just look at the formula you can see he can't beat Stephanie for the same reason. So Brian cannot win. A quick comparison of 20/Ts < 20/Tr will show it is perfectly possible for S to beat R and vice versa.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 282

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
I did it this way-

Let ts=time of steph
tr=time of reg
tb=time of brian

ts+tr=tb+2

From the problem its clear that Brian takes more time.
Since brian takes more time he could not have won the race. (speed and time are inverse proportional)
We have no info about the other 2.So, anyone could have won the race.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28794 [0], given: 2849

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 03:52
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All Must or Could be True Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 12:17

I. Stephanie
II. Regine
III. Brian

Time (s) + time (r) = time (b) +2

d=20

If no one ran faster than 8 miles/hour than no one completed the race in under 2.5 hours (time = distance/rate ===> time = 20/8 ===> time = 2.5 hours)

If S+R = B+2, Brian's time will always be greater than S or R. Because no one finishes in under 2.5 hours we can rule out maximum speeds. For example, Brian can not finish in 2.5 hours because S and R would have to have a combined time of 4.5 hours which we know is not possible because 4.5 combined would mean both of them ran it in under 2.5 hours. If Brian finished in 3 hours S and R's time could have been 2.5 each meaning their combined time is exactly two hours greater but their times separately are less than Brian's. The only way the equation can hold true is if Brian's time is equal to or greater than three in which case either S or R (or both) always run in less time.

ANSWER: (D) I or II only
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 11:40
I almost made a stupid mistake on this one, but quickly realized that it's obviously D.

Brian would need to complete it in 2.5 hours, meaning the other two would need to complete it in 4.5 combined, which would mean that they both would've been faster than the 8m/h limit given.

I almost stupidly confused mph with overall time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 21:19
We know t1+t2=t3 +2 -- (1)

where t1, t2 and t3 are the time taken by Stephanie, Regine and Brian to complete the race.
Since the minimum value for the time taken is 2.5, t1 or t2 has to be lesser than t3 for equation 1 to hold true. So Brian could not have won the race. But we can find values for t1 and t2 such that stephanie and Regine could have won the race satisfying equation (1).

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2014, 21:19