Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride)

• 28% [39]
  • 71% [100]
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
I'd like to get your opinions-- it's between Stern (no money) and USC (half-tuition scholarship). I went to admit weekends for both schools and liked both. I know Stern is probably more respected and higher ranking, but I did like USC when I visited and their alumni network is really strong in SoCal. Plus the cost of living in NYC will make Stern more than 2x as expensive. I'd like to into high tech most likely and don't have too much of a preference on location. Thx in advance
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 21:04

Last edited by RG0105 on 26 Aug 2012, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 22:34
I would probably say Stern... the school has a better brand, more reputed and its alumni network is impressive.

USC is good if you want to get into the mid sized firms/family owned business in So Cal but I have not seen much tech hiring from the school. The big firms like Microsoft, Google, Intel come for recruitment, but then again they come to the East Coast also.

LA is comparatively cheaper than NYC but the rent in downtown LA and around the USC campus is reaching ridiculous proportions. Add in commuting and parking costs and the cost of living will shoot up dramatically.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 00:02
RG0105 wrote:
I know you said you didn't have a preference about the location, but that's really what it comes down to. If you see yourself on the West coast long-term, go with USC. If you want to be on the East coast, go with NYU.

I'll second that. And if you liked both equally, I'd go with the cheaper option. Besides, awesome weather and studying at the beach are nice perks (I'm biased since I went to USC for undergrad). :wink:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 02:05
I agree, this is all about location. Would you rather drive everywhere, or take the subway everywhere? For me, when I think LA, I think traffic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 02:11
I replied in many topics that ratings don't matter, but not in that case: the schools are from two distinctive tiers, and half-ride is not as sexy as the full tuition. Therefore, if you can afford, then go to Stern.

By the way, what are your goals? That shall be the decisive factor, and not the $.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 05:40
Expert's post
Both are very good schools. However, given your post-MBA goal of going into the high tech industry, USC makes more sense.

If you look at NYU's employment stats: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm . NYU only places 7% of its students into "Technology/Telecommunications".

In general, Stern is a good school if you want to do finance (if you add up all the different finance categories, NYU places >70% into finance). Otherwise, it would be better to look at another school.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 11:14
asimov wrote:
Both are very good schools. However, given your post-MBA goal of going into the high tech industry, USC makes more sense.

If you look at NYU's employment stats: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm . NYU only places 7% of its students into "Technology/Telecommunications".

In general, Stern is a good school if you want to do finance (if you add up all the different finance categories, NYU places >70% into finance). Otherwise, it would be better to look at another school.

Of course, the data are only meaningful in comparison to USC. It's true that NYU places 7% in technology, but USC does only marginally better at 16%, and USC graduates in the tech industry report significantly lower compensation ($92k vs. $114k).

Stern's employer list includes Google, Groupon, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony and Zynga. It does have access to this industry, and a significant advantage in terms of salary. The lower technology industry placement at Stern reflects the preferences of its graduates as much if not more than the opportunities available to them.

In my opinion, ROI is the most important input in the decision process. Assuming you make the average starting salary at either school, you will recoup the additional $50k tuition investment in just over two years by attending Stern.

There are good arguments to be made for both schools here, but it's not as simple as west coast = tech.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 19:07
pearljam wrote:
asimov wrote:

Of course, the data are only meaningful in comparison to USC. It's true that NYU places 7% in technology, but USC does only marginally better at 16%, and USC graduates in the tech industry report significantly lower compensation ($92k vs. $114k).

Stern's employer list includes Google, Groupon, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony and Zynga. It does have access to this industry, and a significant advantage in terms of salary. The lower technology industry placement at Stern reflects the preferences of its graduates as much if not more than the opportunities available to them.

In my opinion, ROI is the most important input in the decision process. Assuming you make the average starting salary at either school, you will recoup the additional $50k tuition investment in just over two years by attending Stern.

There are good arguments to be made for both schools here, but it's not as simple as west coast = tech.

Some fair points but you can take the salary data with a big fat scoop of salt as well. Most NYU grads stay in the Northeast - 88%! (NYC in particular) and command higher salaries. Salaries on the West Coast are generally lower (we get extra sunshine in lieu of that) plus a lot of SC grads go to work for tech startups (a lot of them around here) - the starting salaries are typically lower but you usually get some equity to make up for that. It really comes down to what you want to do and where you want to do it once you are done with school.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride) [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 08:42
SuitUp wrote:
Some fair points but you can take the salary data with a big fat scoop of salt as well. Most NYU grads stay in the Northeast - 88%! (NYC in particular) and command higher salaries. Salaries on the West Coast are generally lower (we get extra sunshine in lieu of that) plus a lot of SC grads go to work for tech startups (a lot of them around here) - the starting salaries are typically lower but you usually get some equity to make up for that. It really comes down to what you want to do and where you want to do it once you are done with school.

I don't think that's accurate in the most general sense. First, in the case of companies like Google and Zynga, you're comparing like for like. Second, if you look at Stanford and Haas employment reports, their West Coast tech graduates are earning the same as Stern grads in that industry.

If the goal is specifically to work for a startup, I think your point may apply. They likely do pay less, and the scholarship will be a bigger factor. The OP presumably understands his own goals and if that's the case he/she would have to do the research to figure out what the salary expectations are and who offers better opportunities. Marshall may well have an advantage in that case but there is no shortage of tech startups in New York, so again I don't think it's so clear cut as the poll result implies.
Re: Stern (no money) vs. USC Marshall (Half-ride)   [#permalink] 09 May 2012, 08:42