Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Just hang tight. They'll reach out to you with an update when they're ready. And even if you contact them now, no one will be around to answer you -- basically all of the US is on holiday until January.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.92
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
@OjilEye - Yeah I have a crazy decision to make now! I'm still going to wait to see if Stern offers any scholarship $$ (their email said that info on scholarships would be available in the official letter they mail out), however I'm really leaning towards Anderson. I'm a California girl, though I do have a lot of family in NY, so I could justify either location. That being said, I do want to settle down in California so having the Anderson community as well as the recruiting being heavily based in California is a huge reason to pick Anderson. And it'll be cheaper for me overall. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Stern vs Anderson debate? I'm planning on going into either healthcare consulting (hopefully at a top 10) or IB focused on the biotech sector. Still can't choose which hehe. Obviously Stern is ranked higher than Anderson, but I'm not entirely sure it makes much of a difference on the West Coast.

@thrones - Yes there was one guy there waiting with me and a girl had just finished interviewing. It seemed fairly quiet though. I had a similar experience at Anderson. I think that's what happens when you interview fairly early on.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.92
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
@nyukellogg2015

First off, congrats on the interview! That's half the battle. As for interview tips, I think the most important thing is to just be yourself. That being said, here are a couple of things to note:

1) Do not get thrown off if the interviewer has someone else present in the room with them during the interview. They do this to help with training. Just stay calm and make eye contact with both of them, don't ignore the other person. They may be judging you. This happened to me at Stern and it happened to a friend of mine at another school as well. I do think though that it's probably more common early on in the admissions cycle.

2) Do not overprepare. I made flashcards of all the questions on ClearAdmit with bullet points of my answers. I think it's good practice to do this and have an idea of what you want to say. However, don't go overboard in reviewing this stuff. I think I ran through the flashcards just once right before the interview. You don't want to sound rehearsed.

My experience was probably fairly typical (minus the other person in the room). Oh and the fact that they called me in about 15 minutes after my scheduled time! They really didn't ask any questions that were not already mentioned in ClearAdmit.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 00:36
This post received
KUDOS
crazycow wrote:
yonderworld wrote:
jimmyzhang2012 wrote:
Any Asia friend got interview inv? I saw some Korean friend got WL without interview, I am wondering if they have finished Asia R1 interview already...

I am Chinese working in Singapore. I submitted on 14 Nov but no news so far. Thanks!

Many people who submitted right before the deadline have heard back so things don't look very bright. That said, I think no interview invitations have been sent, thus far, in January. So, there is a glimmer of hope.

My application went under review on November 21st and I haven't heard back. If I don't receive an interview invitation in the next batch of invites, I will assume its a ding.

I'm another of those whose application went under review on Nov 21st. Visibly I'm anxious having not heard back yet, while folks have been admitted/waitlisted by now. Is there any chance of interview invites still going out, as the notification date is only about a month away? Wondering whether I should start preparations for receiving that dreaded ding...

Interview invitations will still be sent out. Since we did not get wait listed in the last two days, I think the next batch of interview invitation will be very important for us. Also, I haven't seen anyone get dinged without an interview as yet, so it certainly doesn't look that bright. Good luck to you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.52

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
GPT55 wrote:
A note to international applicants who haven't heard anything yet:

I think they'll keep sending interview invites until the February initial notification deadline. I got mine and I requested an off-site interview, and they said that off-site interview locations and dates will only be available in February. Hence, I believe they'll keep rounding up applicants who may want to interview off-site until February.

Good luck!

Thanks, I am really anxious and this calms my nerves...

Thanks again
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 16:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
crazycow wrote:
Boy am I worried now. Isn't the last date of notifications for R1 15th Feb if I remember? If so, does the interview dates that would only be announced at the end of February imply Round 2 interviewees? Suddenly my blood pressure is hitting the roof! Guess may as well start preparing for a ding without interview

I wouldn't worry just yet. Last year, there were R1 invites reported at the beginning of January (the 2nd and 3rd) and then again from January 19 to the 26th or so. If you don't hear back for an interview invite by the end of January, then it's probably time to worry.

aerien

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GPT55 wrote:
Guys I'm a bit confused here about the transcript requirements.

The website says: "If you cannot obtain transcripts directly from the institution but you possess an original transcript, you may submit photocopies that have been verified by the embassy or consulate of the institution's country."

Does that mean a) the U.S. embassy in the country of my undergrad institution or b) my country's Foreign Ministry of any other institution that can verify the copy ('Apostille')?

Based on the site info, you should get your transcripts verified by your country's embassy or consultant -- not the US embassy in your country.

To be 100% sure, I would call the adcom tomorrow to check -- and if any international students can weigh in, I'm sure that's way more helpful than American me giving my two cents :)

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Got an admit today too! Interviewed last Thursday so was a really quick decision!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
zaffro13 wrote:
You should check your status Aerien. A couple of us last week had our statuses updated about an hour before we received the email. I think all of ours were done around the same time.

Good point! Now I have one more place to refresh...thanks for keeping me from my actual work!

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
for anyone interested in an additional timeline of process -

international applicant (from Northeast Asia)
application submitted: nov 15
review email received: nov 21
interview invitation received: dec 14
interview: jan 29
admission: feb 6
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
accepted! interviewed with the spotlight on women event on thurs. accepted yday. pretty fast turnaround
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
JustAnotherApplicant wrote:
Hey guys... Rd 2 applicant that submitted in Jan. Any idea when I should expect to hear about an interview? Thanks.

No idea. In round one some people got invites in late November, but I didn't get mine until mid-January.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 26

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
Is this turnaround time a joke? First notification by April for round 2?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 27

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 18:41
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my interview today! I'm a R2 applicant, and got my app in early January. Here's what I remember being asked in terms of some of the questions:

1) What are some of your strengths, and how are they applicable for your intended career?
2) What will you highlight to convince your intended companies to hire you?
3) Why do you think Stern is a good fit for you?
4) I noticed XYZ about your professional background. Could you tell me what you like about that experience?
5) Why do you want to make your career transition?
6) Do you see yourself getting involved in Stern clubs in a leadership role? Which ones?
7) When you're not leading a group, what role do you play in the group?
8) If you had to study one international market for marketing, what would it be?
9) What other companies are you interested in working in besides the ones mentioned in your application?
10) Do you have any questions for me?

Also just wanted to note that I thought the admissions staff was extremely friendly and that my interviewer had done her homework on my application. They mine your essays for inspiration and questions during the interview!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 13:37
This post received
KUDOS
jxcho wrote:
R1 applicant finally got dinged today. :( At least I've had interviews at two schools and live applications at three more schools so all is far from lost...

Sorry to hear that jxcho. Like you said, you've got a lot of great schools left as options, so nothing to be overly upset about. Best of luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
afdelag wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:
Should R2 applicants who haven't heard anything so far start to worry?

I'm in the same position and very much worried. If you look at the list of Stern applicants on the first page of this forum you will notice that not a lot of R2 applicants seem to have received an answer. However, I believe most people don't update their status if they are denied or if they get into a better school.

I hope we get an answer soon!

Good luck to you!

I'm in the same boat as well.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

I think Stern always takes it's time to respond to applicants. Having said that, I got a ding very quickly but they usually space it out till the initial decision date for the round so I would say don't worry too much.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 27

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
hilaire wrote:
Hello everyone,

just received a notification for interview. :-D
I have been selected for the NYU Stern Summer Start program.

I am very excited, Does anyone posted the kind of questions they ask on interview day :? ?

Congrats on the interview! And wow - I had no idea they already were selecting people for Summer Start.

I posted my interview notes on page 20 of this thread but here they are again. There are interview notes from others on the preceding pages as well.

TheFool wrote:
Just had my interview today! I'm a R2 applicant, and got my app in early January. Here's what I remember being asked in terms of some of the questions:

1) What are some of your strengths, and how are they applicable for your intended career?
2) What will you highlight to convince your intended companies to hire you?
3) Why do you think Stern is a good fit for you?
4) I noticed XYZ about your professional background. Could you tell me what you like about that experience?
5) Why do you want to make your career transition?
6) Do you see yourself getting involved in Stern clubs in a leadership role? Which ones?
7) When you're not leading a group, what role do you play in the group?
8) If you had to study one international market for marketing, what would it be?
9) What other companies are you interested in working in besides the ones mentioned in your application?
10) Do you have any questions for me?

Also just wanted to note that I thought the admissions staff was extremely friendly and that my interviewer had done her homework on my application. They mine your essays for inspiration and questions during the interview!

Note that apparently my questions weren't the most conventional. But this should give you an idea of what they ask. Best of luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
hilaire wrote:
rockstarjane wrote:
hilaire wrote:
Hello everyone,

just received a notification for interview. :-D
I have been selected for the NYU Stern Summer Start program.

I am very excited, Does anyone posted the kind of questions they ask on interview day :? ?

were you a R2 applicant? if so..when did you submit your app?

I was in R1. waitlisted on January 7 th.

all the best!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 7

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
In! That was incredibly fast! Timeline:

App submitted: 1/15
Invite to interview: 2/6
Interview: 2/21
Accepted: 2/25

Good luck to everyone!
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2013, 13:49