Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 08:18
ProfessorX wrote:
Does anyone know when Orientation is for 1st year MBAs? I heard about something called LAUNCH that occurs over a 2 week period and it looks like its for First Year MBAs and it happens right before your classes start..is that basically Orientation?

Launch is orientation for Stern. It's a pretty unique experience relative to other business schools. Honest feedback from my time there- some people thought it was a little too long and too brainwash-y. I think if you go into it with an open mind it is a great experience but no doubt it is exhausting. Some of the events will be highlights of your time at school. Have fun!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hello All!
I am currently an undergrad and I have recently decided to take a serious look into Stern as my post graduate route.

I plan on taking the GMAT (as opposed to the GRE) but I am very bad at Math. I actually have not taken Math since High School which I know sounds really bad. I have never taken anything above algebra actually. At my school there are two math or math-like core requirements under the category of "Quantitative". For this requirement I took Logic, and for the 2nd class I will be taking a 300-level Research course. Of course most of the classes that fulfill this specific core requirement are actual Math courses, but I found the two that were not math and decided to take those instead. I've thought about taking Math classes to brush up and at least get to Calculus for my own enrichment but I dont want to risk my GPA. I would also have to take a lot of pre-req math courses to get to that level since I have not had any college level Math and I dont have the time. I am a double major AND double minor who has taken 2 years off school already so....yea.

Anyway, I am a pretty dedicated person and since the time for me to apply to the Stern MBA program would not be until Fall 2014 or maybe even Fall 2015 I've decided there is no harm in starting the GMAT studying now. Especially because of my low math skills. This would also allow me to take it a few times if needed.

I was just wondering if any one already admitted to the MBA program who has been in this situation or know someone who has, could give me any studying tips? While this exam may be easy for some, I know this type of material does not come natural for everyone. If you struggled with the GMAT and still made in into the Stern MBA program I would love to hear your story. I have heard of people scoring in the 500s and then studying their a$$es off to come back and score in the mid 700s. I plan on buying the entire Manhattan GMAT prep package which runs a few hundred dollars. Do you think this would be helpful? It seems to be the go-to source for the GMAT. I was thinking with this I could gauge how much work I need and take my questions to a tutor here at my school. With over a year of studying there is no reason why I should do badly on the exam.

It is a little intimidating going into this with a pool of Finance majors and what not but when I am dedicated I am dedicated and failure is no option. I dont mind putting the time and money into this but first I need to know I am going about it the best way.

Thank you for any responses in advance!!

Sorry if this post is out of place. I figured this would be the best possible venue.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 06:44
ThreeEyedRaven wrote:
Hello All!
I am currently an undergrad and I have recently decided to take a serious look into Stern as my post graduate route.

I plan on taking the GMAT (as opposed to the GRE) but I am very bad at Math. I actually have not taken Math since High School which I know sounds really bad. I have never taken anything above algebra actually. At my school there are two math or math-like core requirements under the category of "Quantitative". For this requirement I took Logic, and for the 2nd class I will be taking a 300-level Research course. Of course most of the classes that fulfill this specific core requirement are actual Math courses, but I found the two that were not math and decided to take those instead. I've thought about taking Math classes to brush up and at least get to Calculus for my own enrichment but I dont want to risk my GPA. I would also have to take a lot of pre-req math courses to get to that level since I have not had any college level Math and I dont have the time. I am a double major AND double minor who has taken 2 years off school already so....yea.

Anyway, I am a pretty dedicated person and since the time for me to apply to the Stern MBA program would not be until Fall 2014 or maybe even Fall 2015 I've decided there is no harm in starting the GMAT studying now. Especially because of my low math skills. This would also allow me to take it a few times if needed.

I was just wondering if any one already admitted to the MBA program who has been in this situation or know someone who has, could give me any studying tips? While this exam may be easy for some, I know this type of material does not come natural for everyone. If you struggled with the GMAT and still made in into the Stern MBA program I would love to hear your story. I have heard of people scoring in the 500s and then studying their a$$es off to come back and score in the mid 700s. I plan on buying the entire Manhattan GMAT prep package which runs a few hundred dollars. Do you think this would be helpful? It seems to be the go-to source for the GMAT. I was thinking with this I could gauge how much work I need and take my questions to a tutor here at my school. With over a year of studying there is no reason why I should do badly on the exam.

It is a little intimidating going into this with a pool of Finance majors and what not but when I am dedicated I am dedicated and failure is no option. I dont mind putting the time and money into this but first I need to know I am going about it the best way.

Thank you for any responses in advance!!

Sorry if this post is out of place. I figured this would be the best possible venue.

Hey Threeeyedraven! Let's see. I was in a different position than you in that I was 6 years out of college when I started studying for the GMAT and hadn't taken math since Calculus (which I got a C in) freshman year. I definitely struggled with the math. I found the Manhattan GMAT materials to be very helpful, I liked them the best of all the material I used (other than the Official Guide which is essential once you start doing a lot of practice problems). Just make sure to pinpoint which types of problems you have troubles with and from there work on those until you are more comfortable. I had a really low GPA so I actually took a summer college course called Math for Business and Economics. Unfortunately I took the class AFTER I took the GMAT. I realized while taking the class that a lot of the material we learned in the class would have really helped me with math on the GMAT. So if you really are feeling out of touch with math you might want to look into a class. The math on the GMAT is pretty much all Algebra/Geometry level stuff. Calculus wouldn't help you with the GMAT, but be aware that some business schools require you to take Calculus before matriculation (don't think Stern has this though). Hope that's somewhat helpful!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 20:01
Thank you for your input Dakells!

When first studying for the GMAT did you find that you were totally unfamiliar with the material? Was it kinda like starting from scratch or did you intuitively know at least some basic concepts? I was looking through some example questions on random, unreputable websites just for kicks and I realized that I did not know any of the info at all. I hadnt even seen those types of problems since High School. When I start studying for the Quantitative section it will be completely from scratch. Even when I did brush upon those things slightly in HS I did not really pay attention. I was a slacker in High School and I've always hated Math. So all of the Quantitative section will be literally new to me whereas (I think) most people regardless of their self-reported lack of math skills probably already have some intuitive knowledge for those types of problems. Did you have to start from scratch with a lot of the Quantitative section....and how extensively did you prep in the months before the exam? Can you also share with me your study methods? Did you pay for those prep classes or was it all self guided with Manhattan GMAT prep materials only?

Thanks so much!!!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 06:41
ThreeEyedRaven wrote:
Thank you for your input Dakells!

When first studying for the GMAT did you find that you were totally unfamiliar with the material? Was it kinda like starting from scratch or did you intuitively know at least some basic concepts? I was looking through some example questions on random, unreputable websites just for kicks and I realized that I did not know any of the info at all. I hadnt even seen those types of problems since High School. When I start studying for the Quantitative section it will be completely from scratch. Even when I did brush upon those things slightly in HS I did not really pay attention. I was a slacker in High School and I've always hated Math. So all of the Quantitative section will be literally new to me whereas (I think) most people regardless of their self-reported lack of math skills probably already have some intuitive knowledge for those types of problems. Did you have to start from scratch with a lot of the Quantitative section....and how extensively did you prep in the months before the exam? Can you also share with me your study methods? Did you pay for those prep classes or was it all self guided with Manhattan GMAT prep materials only?

Thanks so much!!!

Whoops, just saw this! I would say some of the math looked fairly familiar to me, but the thing is, just knowing how to arrive at an answer isn't good enough, you need to know how to arrive at an answer in 2 minutes, which is something that I wasn't able to do when I first started studying. My GMAT story was a little weird. In 2007 I got my company to pay for a Kaplan course. I ended up never taking the test after the class because I just didn't feel ready. I also sort of cooled on the whole business school thing because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after school (didn't feel comfortable spending $100K to go to school and not know what I wanted to do while there). So in 2011 when I decided I was finally ready for school, I hired a tutor from Manhattan GMAT to only do math with me. Honestly, I didn't think he was worth the money, which was extreme. I read the Manhattan GMAT math books and just did a TON of problems. I don't remember when I started studying, but I probably studied for 3 months or so. I probably took 10+ full practice tests before the actual test so I really studied a lot. And my math really improved, had I not bombed the verbal my second test, I would have gotten at least a 740 (vs the 690 I got). I think I would recommend the MGMAT class. I imagine that like Kaplan, they do a good job of providing you with a manageable introduction to the test and from there build you up to the level that you need to do well. I liked MGMAT's study materials better than Kaplan's so that is why I would say MGMAT. Though the little blue quick study book that Kaplan gives is great.

I think you said you're still in school? If Math is that unfamiliar to you, and you have space in your schedule, then you might want to look into taking a freshman level math course or some sort of algebra class. But, it's fairly basic stuff, so it should come back to you. The trick is just getting to the point where you can do the questions in 2 minutes. If you can't afford the MGMAT classes, definitely invest in the books and see if you can get someone who is good at math to help you! Good luck!
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2013, 06:41