Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

Just got my accepted email twenty minutes ago.

Applied: 15 December 2013
Invited to Interview: 11 February 2014
Interviewed: 25 February 2014
Admitted: 7 March 2014

Can't wait to start!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 10:44
yoavsusz wrote:
Hey Guys,

Can't wait to start!

congrats!

I interviewed a day earlier than you and haven't heard back yet; wonder if that's a ding.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE: Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 12:10
Blax0r wrote:
yoavsusz wrote:
Hey Guys,

Can't wait to start!

congrats!

I interviewed a day earlier than you and haven't heard back yet; wonder if that's a ding.

Maybe they're just taking extra time to prepare that scholarship offer? 8-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 12:51
BschoolBound2014 wrote:
myleo wrote:
BschoolBound2014 wrote:
Received my invite to interview today off the waitlist! Needless to say I am very excited to have been given new life.

you got in tuck. you have to be absolutely crazy to attend nyu if you get it at tuck or duke.

You really think the decision is so cut and dry: Tuck > Stern? The new US News MBA Ranking comes out in 5 days but currently they are ranked back-to-back. Also, rankings would definitely not be the only factor should I be fortunate enough to have to make a decision.

stern is absolutely a great school but in my humble opinion tuck is 10 times better. Faculty,alums, small town campus and cmon after all its an ivy. if you were choosing between UCLA or Ross and stern it would be tough but you have to be absolutely bonkers to get into stern after getting in at tuck. If i were in the same position it wouldn't even be close for me. Infact between tuck and yale it would be tuck for me. the only three schools i would choose over tuck are HBS, Stanford and Booth.
Intern
Intern

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 12:56
PlacePhraseHere wrote:
Now I know I just said ignore the rankings for schools in Stern's tier, but for those of you who are rankings obsessed, I felt I should point out Stern is within the top 10 yet again for the 2015 rankings per US News:

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/articles/2014/03/04/2015-best-graduate-schools-preview-top-10-business-schools

I can understand that for some, top 10 is an important psychological barrier. We'll find out more details on Tuesday.

they have Berkeley and kellogg over duke. thats laughable in so many ways.as far as top 5 goes its HBS,Stanford,Booth,Tuck and wharton. anyways its not about ranking but no one here seriously thinks Berkeley is better than duke?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GRE 1: 329 Q163 V166
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 14:09
myleo wrote:
PlacePhraseHere wrote:
Now I know I just said ignore the rankings for schools in Stern's tier, but for those of you who are rankings obsessed, I felt I should point out Stern is within the top 10 yet again for the 2015 rankings per US News:

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/articles/2014/03/04/2015-best-graduate-schools-preview-top-10-business-schools

I can understand that for some, top 10 is an important psychological barrier. We'll find out more details on Tuesday.

they have Berkeley and kellogg over duke. thats laughable in so many ways.as far as top 5 goes its HBS,Stanford,Booth,Tuck and wharton. anyways its not about ranking but no one here seriously thinks Berkeley is better than duke?

Not to add too much fuel to the fire, but didn't you chose to apply to Stern over Tuck?
Intern
Intern

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 14:11
BschoolBound2014 wrote:
myleo wrote:
PlacePhraseHere wrote:

Not to add too much fuel to the fire, but didn't you chose to apply to Stern over Tuck?

Well my interview at tuck was pretty bad during the open interview process and hence I didn't think a good app would make a difference.i was very nervous. Otherwise it wouldn't even be close.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 14:41
BschoolBound2014 wrote:
myleo wrote:
PlacePhraseHere wrote:

It's just my personal advice.you are wasting your time flying to nyc and interviewing. It's yr decision but tuck is the place to be. I would trade places with you in a heartbeat unless the hbs waitlist changes to Admit.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
If you're waiting to hear from Stern, I wouldn't lose hope. It appears admissions has filled approximately 20% of the class judging from the number of students in the Class of 2016 facebook page. Every working day there are approximately 4 new members in the facebook group. Also, take a look at last year's thread and you'll notice plenty of people receiving invitations to interview in March/April.

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.4
WE: Programming (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 03:57
sungs wrote:
If you're waiting to hear from Stern, I wouldn't lose hope. It appears admissions has filled approximately 20% of the class judging from the number of students in the Class of 2016 facebook page. Every working day there are approximately 4 new members in the facebook group. Also, take a look at last year's thread and you'll notice plenty of people receiving invitations to interview in March/April.

Best of luck.

From which Facebook page did you figure the 20%?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 08:48
nu7kevin wrote:
sungs wrote:

Best of luck.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/768687356491404/

Stern's target FT MBA Class size is around 400 students and the facebook group has approximately 80 registered members. I'm making an assumption that all admitted students have joined the group and intend to matriculate at Stern. If you look at UCLA's Class of 2016 facebook group, there are over 200 members and the program has a similar class size with Stern.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.4
WE: Programming (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 13:43
sungs wrote:
nu7kevin wrote:
sungs wrote:

Best of luck.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/768687356491404/

Stern's target FT MBA Class size is around 400 students and the facebook group has approximately 80 registered members. I'm making an assumption that all admitted students have joined the group and intend to matriculate at Stern. If you look at UCLA's Class of 2016 facebook group, there are over 200 members and the program has a similar class size with Stern.

Thanks! Although that figure seems a little low at this point in the game, it might be plausible considering the harsh winter weather this year. I would just hate it if Stern made us wait and releases a bunch of dings on 4/2.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 10:16
nu7kevin wrote:
sungs wrote:
nu7kevin wrote:

Thanks! Although that figure seems a little low at this point in the game, it might be plausible considering the harsh winter weather this year. I would just hate it if Stern made us wait and releases a bunch of dings on 4/2.

Why 4/2 ??? Isn't that too soon for giving up on the WL ??
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [6] , given: 6

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
you got in tuck. you have to be absolutely crazy to attend nyu if you get it at tuck or duke.[/quote]

You really think the decision is so cut and dry: Tuck > Stern? The new US News MBA Ranking comes out in 5 days but currently they are ranked back-to-back. Also, rankings would definitely not be the only factor should I be fortunate enough to have to make a decision.[/quote]

stern is absolutely a great school but in my humble opinion tuck is 10 times better. Faculty,alums, small town campus and cmon after all its an ivy. if you were choosing between UCLA or Ross and stern it would be tough but you have to be absolutely bonkers to get into stern after getting in at tuck. If i were in the same position it wouldn't even be close for me. Infact between tuck and yale it would be tuck for me. the only three schools i would choose over tuck are HBS, Stanford and Booth.[/quote]

Like you said, it is a personal decision. Both Stern and Tuck have top faculty and alumni. YOU choose Tuck (or Fuqua) over Stern because YOU like the small town campus feel. But it doesn't mean everybody wants the same. Myself for example, coming from a small private college in upstate New York, I would never go for Tuck or Cornell no matter how "ivy" they are because I know I want a big city for my MBA program for the accessibility. Again, it is my personal choice. So please don't say something like "you have to be absolutely crazy/bonkers to choose XXX over XXX". I find that very offensive. You can have your own opinion but please respect others' too.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 04:04
julia0831 wrote:
you got in tuck. you have to be absolutely crazy to attend nyu if you get it at tuck or duke.

You really think the decision is so cut and dry: Tuck > Stern? The new US News MBA Ranking comes out in 5 days but currently they are ranked back-to-back. Also, rankings would definitely not be the only factor should I be fortunate enough to have to make a decision.[/quote]

stern is absolutely a great school but in my humble opinion tuck is 10 times better. Faculty,alums, small town campus and cmon after all its an ivy. if you were choosing between UCLA or Ross and stern it would be tough but you have to be absolutely bonkers to get into stern after getting in at tuck. If i were in the same position it wouldn't even be close for me. Infact between tuck and yale it would be tuck for me. the only three schools i would choose over tuck are HBS, Stanford and Booth.[/quote]

Like you said, it is a personal decision. Both Stern and Tuck have top faculty and alumni. YOU choose Tuck (or Fuqua) over Stern because YOU like the small town campus feel. But it doesn't mean everybody wants the same. Myself for example, coming from a small private college in upstate New York, I would never go for Tuck or Cornell no matter how "ivy" they are because I know I want a big city for my MBA program for the accessibility. Again, it is my personal choice. So please don't say something like "you have to be absolutely crazy/bonkers to choose XXX over XXX". I find that very offensive. You can have your own opinion but please respect others' too.[/quote]

Ouch! (read my mind)
Intern
Intern

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 11:36

Like you said, it is a personal decision. Both Stern and Tuck have top faculty and alumni. YOU choose Tuck (or Fuqua) over Stern because YOU like the small town campus feel. But it doesn't mean everybody wants the same. Myself for example, coming from a small private college in upstate New York, I would never go for Tuck or Cornell no matter how "ivy" they are because I know I want a big city for my MBA program for the accessibility. Again, it is my personal choice. So please don't say something like "you have to be absolutely crazy/bonkers to choose XXX over XXX". I find that very offensive. You can have your own opinion but please respect others' too.[/quote]

i have visited nyu 100 times and netiher do they have a campus or a good program.i understand the thrill of a big city but honestly for me its not even close. its not about being ivy its about substantive things. i get a reply from tuck and duke within a few days and it shows me they take their jobs seriosuly. nyu's admission policy is the worst i have seen in my life. they put a majority on waitlist and there are no definitive dates for interviews or acceptance. the faculty is inaccesible and the top $ is for the nyc landscape.
Intern
Intern

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 11:44
second i am not against schools in big cities. for eg my top choice was booth and that was over hbs. i was heartbroken when i was waitlisted at hbs but shattered when i didnt get an interview at booth. so its not that.but nyu is not worth the $$.i dont even know why i wasted my app fee. i would have rather applied at tuck even though my interview didnt go well.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 0

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
myleo wrote:
second i am not against schools in big cities. for eg my top choice was booth and that was over hbs. i was heartbroken when i was waitlisted at hbs but shattered when i didnt get an interview at booth. so its not that.but nyu is not worth the $$.i dont even know why i wasted my app fee. i would have rather applied at tuck even though my interview didnt go well.

So why are you in this thread so much? You should withdraw your NYU app and save everyone the trouble. You would obviously be a horrible classmate if you attended Stern.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 12:29
DimensionalF wrote:
myleo wrote:

So why are you in this thread so much? You should withdraw your NYU app and save everyone the trouble. You would obviously be a horrible classmate if you attended Stern.

Exactly! I was going to say the same thing.

Hope I would never have to be classmates with someone like you. In fact, I would be very surprised if you get into any program with that kind of attitude.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 12:32
DimensionalF wrote:
myleo wrote:

Seriously.

Last edited by Silencer on 14 Mar 2014, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2014, 12:32