Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern vs Fuqua

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Stern vs Fuqua [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 09:46
For finance. Comments anyone ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 09:58
Stern is finance. your decision should be an easy one.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 10:04
Finance? Stern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 10:25
Stern, assuming you have Wall Street aspirations. That said, Charlotte is a bustling financial hot spot thanks to Wachovia and BofA, so if you were interested in those firms Fuqua wouldn't be a bad choice.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 10:47
eazyb81 wrote:
Stern, assuming you have Wall Street aspirations. That said, Charlotte is a bustling financial hot spot thanks to Wachovia and BofA, so if you were interested in those firms Fuqua wouldn't be a bad choice.

That's true, and Fuqua certainly has great access to Charlotte, though I would point out that even with banks based elsewhere, most of their big stuff goes down in their NY offices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 10:57
Well, all of Wachovia's IB divisions are located in Charlotte, while BofA's are split between NY and Charlotte; off the top of my head, I believe fixed income is in Charlotte.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 11:34
Thanks guys - NYU here I come
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 12:57
That was quick. Congratulations !

gidimba wrote:
Thanks guys - NYU here I come
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 13:07
lhotseface wrote:
That was quick. Congratulations !

I'm sure he was leaning towards Stern, just wanted validation.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 15:48
gidimba,
What area of finance do you want to get into?

My interview at NYU is coming up. Any tips?

NYU seems pretty solid for finance. The location means you're close to many high-level jobs with lots of alumni in the area to help you get those jobs. One NYU student I spoke with said there's an emerging-market debt group at Lehman (or something similar) that was nearly all Stern grads.

Also, it's easy for big-time speakers to drop by, and the students get to work on actual company problems. Lots of advanced finance electives and good profs too. Plus great clubs (esp AIM with the student run portfolio) and a good amount of on-campus recruiting.

I'm not sure if it's the right place for me though, because for family reasons, I want to live in the West right after graduating. I think that going to NYU and not living in New York right after might not make a lot of sense. But we'll see. I'd like to work in research for some sort of mutual fund, hedge fund, or endowment after getting an MBA.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 00:02
naturallight wrote:
gidimba,
What area of finance do you want to get into?

My interview at NYU is coming up. Any tips?

NYU seems pretty solid for finance. The location means you're close to many high-level jobs with lots of alumni in the area to help you get those jobs. One NYU student I spoke with said there's an emerging-market debt group at Lehman (or something similar) that was nearly all Stern grads.

Also, it's easy for big-time speakers to drop by, and the students get to work on actual company problems. Lots of advanced finance electives and good profs too. Plus great clubs (esp AIM with the student run portfolio) and a good amount of on-campus recruiting.

I'm not sure if it's the right place for me though, because for family reasons, I want to live in the West right after graduating. I think that going to NYU and not living in New York right after might not make a lot of sense. But we'll see. I'd like to work in research for some sort of mutual fund, hedge fund, or endowment after getting an MBA.

Stern also has an Emerging Market Association as a club, I think there is a correlation with Lehman Bros' group.

AIM is one of the major factors I chose Stern as my #1 target. It's definitely a unique opportunity.

And my interview is coming up too!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 09:23
eazyb81 wrote:
Well, all of Wachovia's IB divisions are located in Charlotte, while BofA's are split between NY and Charlotte; off the top of my head, I believe fixed income is in Charlotte.

I thought that B of A's I-banking was split between San Francisco and Charlotte?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 10:15
xixtrays wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

I thought that B of A's I-banking was split between San Francisco and Charlotte?

Not sure about San Fran, it is certainly a possibility. That said, I know for a fact that BofA has IB divisions in NY and Charlotte.
  [#permalink] 21 Mar 2007, 10:15