Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 08:53
Hi everyone!

My husband and I both got into Ross & Stern full time MBA programs - he's career switching from finance to consulting and I'm career switching from finance to marketing. No $$ at either school and we're both in the Stern Summer Start program.

Our end goal is to both get the best jobs possible post-grad in the NYC area in our respective fields. Which school would better fit both our needs? We are both currently living in NYC and are from the area.

We like the community vibe of Ross more than Stern's, but feel that Stern could provide more ample NYC opportunities for the both of us, despite being a finance heavy school. The Stern name also seems to hold more weight on the east coast than Ross does (some employers/people I've approached are not as familiar with Ross).

Environment wise these two schools couldn't be more opposite, but that really isn't a concern for us because we'd be fine at either setting (large city vs college town).

Cost of living etc. are not much of a concern for us either -- we are primarily focused on going to the school that will give us the best recruitment opportunities for our fields once we're done. Ross has a good program (esp in marketing), but I'm worried its location will hinder our NYC post-grad goal - even though it's totally doable from Ross, Stern seems like it would provide a less uphill battle when searching for NYC jobs.

We're so torn and keep going back and forth - overall I think Stern may be better since we're looking for jobs in NYC (esp in consulting), but could be wrong. Help! :?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 09:09
These schools are definitely peers. While I think Ross may be marginally better for consulting, I think Stern is the easy choice if you are dead-set on living in NYC afterwards. Congrats on getting into the same schools, by the way! Life would have been much more difficult had he gotten into Ross only and you Stern only :).
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 09:11
ChristineG wrote:
Hi everyone!

My husband and I both got into Ross & Stern full time MBA programs - he's career switching from finance to consulting and I'm career switching from finance to marketing. No $$ at either school and we're both in the Stern Summer Start program.

Our end goal is to both get the best jobs possible post-grad in the NYC area in our respective fields. Which school would better fit both our needs? We are both currently living in NYC and are from the area.

We like the community vibe of Ross more than Stern's, but feel that Stern could provide more ample NYC opportunities for the both of us, despite being a finance heavy school. The Stern name also seems to hold more weight on the east coast than Ross does (some employers/people I've approached are not as familiar with Ross).

Environment wise these two schools couldn't be more opposite, but that really isn't a concern for us because we'd be fine at either setting (large city vs college town).

Cost of living etc. are not much of a concern for us either -- we are primarily focused on going to the school that will give us the best recruitment opportunities for our fields once we're done. Ross has a good program (esp in marketing), but I'm worried its location will hinder our NYC post-grad goal - even though it's totally doable from Ross, Stern seems like it would provide a less uphill battle when searching for NYC jobs.

We're so torn and keep going back and forth - overall I think Stern may be better since we're looking for jobs in NYC (esp in consulting), but could be wrong. Help! :?

I'm hearing that you prefer Ross but aren't sure it is as well-respected as Stern. Since you guys are both currently in finance, I'm wondering if you're talking to the wrong people. Of course finance people in NYC know NYU, but consulting and marketing companies will DEFINITELY know Ross.

My own bias in this is that Ross has such an amazing culture and small town campus feel. I love that about a school. I bet Ross sends tons of people to NYC and I don't think it will be an uphill battle at all. Talk to alumni if you can in NYC. There must be an admitted student event there? At the ones I've attended they've brought alumni to help sell us on the school.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 09:42
machichi wrote:
I bet Ross sends tons of people to NYC and I don't think it will be an uphill battle at all. Talk to alumni if you can in NYC. There must be an admitted student event there? At the ones I've attended they've brought alumni to help sell us on the school.

This is true. My post-MBA plans involve NYC as well, and while I didn't apply to Ross, they were on my radar due to a 19.2% placement of the 2012 class in the New York metro area. That's pretty impressive when you consider that the figure is higher than Kellogg's and given it's midwest location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 10:07
kingfalcon wrote:
These schools are definitely peers. While I think Ross may be marginally better for consulting, I think Stern is the easy choice if you are dead-set on living in NYC afterwards. Congrats on getting into the same schools, by the way! Life would have been much more difficult had he gotten into Ross only and you Stern only :).

Go to the best school you get into in the area you want to live in.

EDIT: With the exception of Harvard, whose network could likely get you anywhere you want to go.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:04
codytravers wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Go to the best school you get into in the area you want to live in.

EDIT: With the exception of Harvard, whose network could likely get you anywhere you want to go.

I'm not sure I agree with this in all cases. I don't think someone who wants to live and work in Seattle would be better served by going to Foster than Sloan or Haas, for example.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:21
ChristineG wrote:
Hi everyone!

So you both live and work in NYC now, and will most likely be heading back to NYC post mba... IDK, I personally didnt apply to anything in Boston because my wife and I wanted a break from the city we're planning on spending our lives in... If you fall into this category, I'd head to Ross... I'd talk to local alumni and such to ease your apprehensions about you ability to get back to the city, but I doubt it'll be that tough.
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2013, 11:21