Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Stern vs Yale SOM for Consulting. [#permalink]
What year was the Stern alum, class2012? The Consulting side at Stern is one of the great growth stories over the past few years. The older they are, the less familiar they will be with that club.

Finance is the traditional strength at Stern, certainly, but that means the growth and focus is on other fields.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
What year was the Stern alum, class2012? The Consulting side at Stern is one of the great growth stories over the past few years. The older they are, the less familiar they will be with that club.

Finance is the traditional strength at Stern, certainly, but that means the growth and focus is on other fields.

I believe class of 2000.Can you share the improvements that happened?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
I believe class of 2000.Can you share the improvements that happened?

Before it moved from Wall Street, NYU School of Commerce was pretty much a wall street feeder school as would be expected. Over the past years there has been a big push to open up the class a lot more, and it has been successful. The marketing part of the school has grown heavily, and there is clearly a conscious push on the side of Consulting that has been made over the past few years (read - strategy professors of high regard, active recruiting of candidates in that stream).

The consulting club has developed a lot, and has built similar facility and nature to that in the classic consulting schools - relationships with all consultancy firms are growing, with Bain opening up to the school more each year (my friend is going to Bain).

I am not going to compare - I don't know Yale at all, but I know Stern. It really is your judgement call to make, but I am certain that many people really underplay the consulting arm at Stern. Once again, you have the access from NYC to the firms. If this was one of the in-vogue schools, someone would probably post a great length about how you might find it better, as everyone wanting consulting goes to Yale (this argument of flawed logic is continually used on banking for some places).

Really - both schools have similar opportunity. If you are good enough to consult, you will make that step from either. Pick the one you feel you will thrive at from the other aspects, as the happier you are the more likely you will succeed.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
christinee wrote:
Yale probably better for consulting than Stern...Some firms like Bain & Co recruit from Yale; and not from NYU...In fact I think only BCG and perhaps, Mckinsey recruit from NYU. My impression is that NYU is a finance school and not particularly a strategy/mgmt school.

Bain & Co recruits NYU Stern MBA's. All the top 5 MC firms recruit at Stern, and Stern also attracts mid size/2nd tier consulting firms as well.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether you go to Stern or YSOM to pursue consulting gigs. Consulting firms only target specific individuals with specific traits and set of skills. Therefore, just because you are going to either school, it doesn't mean you will have an edge on MC recruiting or etc. If an applicant doesn't possess the traits or skills that MC firms are looking for, they will reject you whether you are headed to YSOM or Stern or any other top schools for that matter. Consulting interviews were a killer back in my undergrad days.....I can only imagine how bad they can be for MBA's.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
ruthlessgravity wrote:
Easy answer...apply to both. Worry about which one after you get into both.

Amen!

ruthlessgravity wrote:
As far as consulting is concerned, I've been speaking with Yale SOM alums at M/B/B and they've been very supportive. Everyone I've spoken to has been willing to take time out of their schedule to speak with me. One even met with me for coffee (this is the summer before b-school for me and he was extremely busy, so it was very big of him). As you go through you application process, reach out to people at both schools in their consulting clubs.

I can attest to that. Because the size of YSOM class is limited to about 200 every year, there are very few students calling up alums for advice and etc. As a result, alums are very enthusiastic about offering career advice and know-how. One even met me at Yale Club and helped me land a Pre-MBA internship at a VC. Also, you are not just limited to YSOM alums. You have access to the entire Yale community including current professors, and alums from other schools at Yale.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
nink wrote:
christinee wrote:
Yale probably better for consulting than Stern...Some firms like Bain & Co recruit from Yale; and not from NYU...In fact I think only BCG and perhaps, Mckinsey recruit from NYU. My impression is that NYU is a finance school and not particularly a strategy/mgmt school.

Bain & Co recruits NYU Stern MBA's. All the top 5 MC firms recruit at Stern, and Stern also attracts mid size/2nd tier consulting firms as well.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether you go to Stern or YSOM to pursue consulting gigs. Consulting firms only target specific individuals with specific traits and set of skills. Therefore, just because you are going to either school, it doesn't mean you will have an edge on MC recruiting or etc. If an applicant doesn't possess the traits or skills that MC firms are looking for, they will reject you whether you are headed to YSOM or Stern or any other top schools for that matter. Consulting interviews were a killer back in my undergrad days.....I can only imagine how bad they can be for MBA's.

What traits and skills are those firms specifically looking for nink?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
YSOM Student's Experience in Management Consulting

Pre-SOM: Finance Officer, United Nations
Post-MBA Position: Boston Consulting Group

At my summer internship, the head of the New York office of BCG asked where I was from and when I told him Yale SOM, he talked about how much he loved recruiting from here because we’re different from other schools. We’re taught to think differently. We look at problems broadly, rather than from a single angle. It seems like common sense, but it’s not the way other programs train their students. I’ve seen, in my own career, how there’s no such thing as a public sector problem or a private sector problem. More and more, the lines between sectors and industries are blurring. It takes leaders with the right approach and understanding to confront these issues.

https://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/7214.shtml
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Stern is better
GMAT Club Bot