Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q44  V49
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome score! Congratulations! May I ask where do you come from? Your verbal score, being a non-native english speaker, is excellent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
after15 wrote:
Awesome score! Congratulations! May I ask where do you come from? Your verbal score, being a non-native english speaker, is excellent.

By looking at the avatar I would guess India
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ravshonbek wrote:
very good score!!!

what was your %% in Verbal?

97%
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
ronron wrote:
after15 wrote:

By looking at the avatar I would guess India

Thanks after15.

Yes ronron - you are correct. I am from India.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Welcome to the (surprisingly large) gmatclub 760 club. Great score.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
can you link us to the B&N scratch pad. i cannot find it on the online site. is it EXACTLY the same as the one you used at the test center?
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2 wrote:
can you link us to the B&N scratch pad. i cannot find it on the online site. is it EXACTLY the same as the one you used at the test center?

Here you go: https://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780979017582&itm=9
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
english_august wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Here you go: https://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780979017582&itm=9

thanks. bn is part of amazon i believe... amazon has it for less
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V49
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2 wrote:
english_august wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

thanks. bn is part of amazon i believe... amazon has it for less

bn is not part of Amazon, rather Borders has a tie-up with Amazon. Seems like this scratch pad is cheaper at Amazon, though with the member discount at bn it is just a couple of bucks. In any case I got it from bn because they have free 2 day shipping and I needed this pretty urgently since I decided to order this just a week before my exam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Akhil/English_August, I am also from India and my english is just so.. so.

can u give me some tips to improve verbal. I got only 14 :-((((

what was ur initial verbal score?

Yash
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Stick a fork in me - I am done with my GMAT (760)! [#permalink]
english_august wrote:
I took my GMAT this week and I am very happy with my score of 760 (Q - 49, V - 44). Thanks a lot to everyone on this forum - I couldn't have done it without support from you folks (and a couple of other online forums/email lists).

I benefited a lot from other people's GMAT experience on this forum so I will do my bit here to help future GMAT takers.

I got the ball rolling by taking a couple of diagnostic tests - one from the GMAT OG and another one from the Princeton GMAT review. I hadn't taken any standardized tests since my GRE about 7 years ago and I wanted to know my weak areas. I realized that I was the weakest in Sentence Correction (SC) and Data Sufficiency (DS).

But I immediately made a big mistake after that. Being a non-native English speaker, I assumed that the best way to improve my Sentence Correction would be to beef up on my English Grammar theory. Good idea but did not work too well in practice because I wasted too much time mucking around Grammar books, time I should have spent working on actual questions. Moral of the story - brush up some theory in your weak areas and then get down to doing actual questions - as many as you can - but make sure that you attempt questions from a reputable source with good explanations for the correct answer rather than just an answer key.
These are the books I followed.

Manhattan GMAT
    Equations, Inequalities and VICs
    Geometry
    Reading Comprehension
    Sentence Correction
    Word Translations
These books are excellent and it makes sense to get all of them (they have 8 books, I got 5 of them) if you can, even if you consider yourself to be strong in an area. They are about 20 bucks each at Barnes and Noble (B&N) and cheaper if you have their membership. I consider RC to be my strongest suit and even then, I benefited from their RC guide.

Kaplan 800 and Kaplan Premier Program
I got these books pretty late in the game and wasn't able to complete them comprehensively, but I'd say they were still helpful, specially Kaplan 800.

Tests
Again, Manhattan GMAT online tests were simply incredible. I completed their free sample test and 4 of the 6 tests that you can access by buying any one of their books. Just keep in mind that you will not make any big improvement in scores if you just take the tests without evaluating them afterwards. It is important to go through each and every question after you complete the test and here Manhattan GMAT's tests are again a winner because of their excellent explanations.
Took 1 test each from Kaplan and McGrawHill GMAT CDs and a free test that is available at McGrawHill's website.

I obviously took both the practice tests with the GMATPrep but wait until at least 10 days before your actual test date to take these tests.

I also did all the questions in the GMAT OG, GMAT Official Verbal Review and GMAT Official Quant Review. I used the stopwatch feature on Manhattan GMAT website to attempt these questions - very helpful.

Dos
    Attempt as many questions as you can from as many reputable sources that you can. By reputable, I mean any source that gives you a good explanation of the correct answer.
    Take as many CAT simulation tests that you can.
    Treat OG and Verbal and Quant reviews to be the bedrock of your preparation.
    Spend some additional time on reviewing Math material like Permutation/Combination and Probability online. Not a single book covers these topics comprehensively but you will find a lot of resources online
    Definitely get the sample laminated scratch pad from ManhattanGMAT. You can get that too from B&N at a lower price than from ManhattanGMAT.

Donts
    Don't waste your time in chasing dubious online material like the GMAT sets. These sets and many other online questions do not have any explanations for their answers, just a cryptic answer key. Surely, you can post questions from those sets on various forums but there is enough material out there in the form of mainstream books and believe me, they are more than enough to help you get a good score.
    Don't waste too much time in "learning" theory. Brush up enough to get yourself started and then learn as you attempt the questions.

EnglishAugust -- PLEASE reply to this thread about difficulty on the test as a top scorer:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t56749

Your wisdom will shed a ridiculous amount of light because you were able to see the hardest problems (and just how many of them) on the GMAT.

thank you in advance,

Dominion
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stick a fork in me - I am done with my GMAT (760)! [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts