Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 09:45
GMAT1 :- 710 (Q49, V37)

I have been solving questions from GMATCLUB but merely one or two times posted the reply. but resources of this site are incredible.
Though 710 score is not so good, I just wanted to share my experience for the benefit of others.

Material used:
Quant:
GMATCLUB tests - I would really recommned these tests. Awesome!!
MGMAT tests - Excellent tests; My last two tests are the actual reflection of real one
TOTAL GMAT Math :- Did not get much time to work on this; Just picked it in last couple of weeks

Verbal:
E-GMAT SC, CR and verbal live course : - Awesome course, will explain in details.
OG10, 12
Powerscore CR
MGMAT CR
Grockit practice
Kaplan quiz
KAPLAN 800
KAPLAN Premium
Veritas CR1 and CR2
RC99, RC set 1 and set2

Practice test: (In sequence)
MGMAT1: - 640
MGMAT2: - 680
GMATPREP: - 720
MGMAT3: - 700
Kaplan1: - 690
Kaplan2: - 700
Kaplan3:- 690
GMATPrep2:- 680
GMATPrep1 (repeat):- 690
Huhhh - I recheduled the GMAT date here
MGMAT4:-710
MGMAT5:-710 (one week before the exam)
GMATPREP2(repeat):-700 (one week before the exam)

Preparation strategy:

Quant:
I did not do it seriously since I am good at maths since my school days but this overconfidence drowned 1 point in the quant.
GMAT Club tests are really good but please don't be dishearthened by scores. Tests are tough but seem really necesary if you are aiming above 48 in quant.

Verbal:
I started my preparation in Septemeber with OG10 and OG 12. Oficial guides are really awesome; apart from GMATPrep tests, if there is something close to the real GMAT, that is OG12.
Reading comprehension has been my weakness and it is pretty much reflected in my verbal score. (I am sure most of the incorrect answers would have been from RC section only). Based on the recommendations on this forum, I took RC99 and completed most of the passages, doing 3-4 daily. It really helped.

My GMAT was scheduled for Dec 11 but looking at my SC/CR accuracy, I reschduled it for March and joined e-gmat live course. I can not emphasise more about this course and the instructors: Payal and Rajat are awesome! After joining this live course, my SC accuracy increased from 70% to 90% (Still some words from Payal reverberate in my ears : - Guys focus on the meaning of the sentence :-D ). E-gmat strategy for pre-thinking is equally good (Pre think at least one assumption before jumping on to the answer choices). CR accuracy increased from 65% to 80%. This course streamlined my process of answering SC/CR questions.
All in all, I would recommned this course.

Recommendations/Tips:
SC: Do wide variery of questions and frequenty review all the incorrect ones I never maintained the log but I always used to go through e-gmat live course/e-gmat SC CR questions that I marked wrong.

CR: Understanding the structure of the argument and prethinking are the key to CR. Doing tons of questions did not help me hence I picked aforementioned strategy and it really helped worked.

During the exam, be calm and don't get tensed if you are getting easy questions; also, don't get elated if you see bold face or tough question: I got 9th question as bold face, bacame so happy that I could not even concentrate on the argument structure and had to guess it :(. (It sounds stupid but it happended with me)

So that's it. After realxing for few days/weeks, I am planning to write it again and hoping to break 750 this time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 10:09
Your strategy is good, and your score is even better...But if ur not satisfied with it, i think you have the potential to score better...
BTW...Besides that we are name types, our score are even matching with the difference that i am scoring in low 700 in practice CATs and you've in actual.
Good luck buddy and let's achieve our dream score.
P.S. I have some good sets to work upon, lemme know if you need them.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 00:45
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Your strategy is good, and your score is even better...

I just graduated from the GMAT section of our forum to the b-school application section of the forum (!) and I couldn't agree more. 710 is good. People are getting dinged with higher scores and people are getting accepted with lower scores. While that's an Analysis of Argument right there (!), it just proves that the GMAT is only one part of the application.

But I also sense something. We all try so hard for the GMAT and get so involved that we develop a deep attachment for the score. It becomes a goal in itself. Scoring "more" in GMAT becomes more important, sometimes, than running with a good-enough score and moving on to the rest of the application. In my two months of prep, I worked so hard that a 710 was disappointing for no reason other than that I worked so hard!!!

Also, while my rational mind understands what I am saying, my emotional mind says, "damn, how could I screw it up!"

But I think a 710 is good. Look at the 80% range of your preferred school. It 710 falls within that then you have a fighting chance. And I will tell you than 710 falls in the 80% range of most, if not all, top b-schools.

Do ppl agree?

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 239

Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 03:14
budablasta wrote:

I just graduated from the GMAT section of our forum to the b-school application section of the forum (!) and I couldn't agree more. 710 is good. People are getting dinged with higher scores and people are getting accepted with lower scores. While that's an Analysis of Argument right there (!), it just proves that the GMAT is only one part of the application.

But I also sense something. We all try so hard for the GMAT and get so involved that we develop a deep attachment for the score. It becomes a goal in itself. Scoring "more" in GMAT becomes more important, sometimes, than running with a good-enough score and moving on to the rest of the application. In my two months of prep, I worked so hard that a 710 was disappointing for no reason other than that I worked so hard!!!

Also, while my rational mind understands what I am saying, my emotional mind says, "damn, how could I screw it up!"

But I think a 710 is good. Look at the 80% range of your preferred school. It 710 falls within that then you have a fighting chance. And I will tell you than 710 falls in the 80% range of most, if not all, top b-schools.

Do ppl agree?

I think it really depends on your situation-- whether reappear after a 710. In most cases it should be a competitive score. I think once you are in that 80% median range and hovering around the mean GMAT score for that school , you should be fine, unless your score if highly skewed. But since the schools look at your academic profile as a whole (GPA, GMAT, and other adv. degrees/ certifications) , you may what to give it again if your average GPA or other scores are sub par to make your admissions package strong.
Moreover, if you are part of the over represented applicant pool ( in terms of work-ex profile, demographics, UG degree) then you may want to achieve a GMAT score that makes you stand out from rest of your peers (so you may want to retake. Obviously there are other ways to stand out or show what differentiates you from the rest). Additionally , few current MBA student give GMAT since their perspective employers ask for their GMAT scores and if their peers have a score in a higher range then they feel the need to match that. So it really depends on how you are placed and why to want to reappear.
From purely a admissions perspective I have seen friends with a 760 getting dinged at top 10/15 US schools in spite of applying in EA or R1 and also noticed people with a 680-690 get it. So, obviously your score is important but its not make or break factor, unless you are way below the school average.
If the application deadline are approaching and you have a 710 in the bag then I think the time should be well spent in writing your essays, talking to your recommenders,and editing the resume' rather than the GMAT. But if you have the time (intend to apply in the next cycle) and you feel you can do better with more practice then you should reappear.

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 03:43
dentobizz wrote:
If the application deadline are approaching and you have a 710 in the bag then I think the time should be well spent in writing your essays, talking to your recommenders,and editing the resume' rather than the GMAT. But if you have the time (intend to apply in the next cycle) and you feel you can do better with more practice then you should reappear.

Hey dentobizz, I think that's a balanced perspective. In my case, my score is highly skewed. I did very badly in Quant and very well in Verbal. It's not something I intended but that's the way it turned out on test day. Anyway, my application deadlines are fast approaching so I have to focus on the rest of my application.

If I get dinged this year, I will get time to retake the GMAT. With 750,760 in the GMAT Preps, I think I can do better with a retake.

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 03:50
dentobizz wrote:
Additionally , few current MBA student give GMAT since their perspective employers ask for their GMAT scores and if their peers have a score in a higher range then they feel the need to match that. So it really depends on how you are placed and why to want to reappear.

Hey, which employers ask for GMAT scores?

I know for a fact that McKinsey, known to be ridiculously tough to get into, only sees if you are 700+ or not. (This is true for its London office, at least.)

If you like it, Kudo it!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 04:32
budablasta wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

Hey dentobizz, I think that's a balanced perspective. In my case, my score is highly skewed. I did very badly in Quant and very well in Verbal. It's not something I intended but that's the way it turned out on test day. Anyway, my application deadlines are fast approaching so I have to focus on the rest of my application.

If I get dinged this year, I will get time to retake the GMAT. With 750,760 in the GMAT Preps, I think I can do better with a retake.

I think that is good thinking on your part to apply now.Said is not hell bent on a 80/80 split ,and 710 is above their average. U may want to even consider Judge,the deadline is also coming up in April 2nd week if I recollect correctly.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 04:38
budablasta wrote:
dentobizz wrote:
Additionally , few current MBA student give GMAT since their perspective employers ask for their GMAT scores and if their peers have a score in a higher range then they feel the need to match that. So it really depends on how you are placed and why to want to reappear.

Hey, which employers ask for GMAT scores?

I know for a fact that McKinsey, known to be ridiculously tough to get into, only sees if you are 700+ or not. (This is true for its London office, at least.)

Yes, I have heard the same ( McKinsey does ask for it )and I think a couple of other consulting co's and I-banks do.That is why you will see many current MBA students even from IIM's, who didn't need a GMAT to get into b-school, give GMAT to put in on their resume' because recruiters need it.But, It would be best if a current student or alumni can answer this is detail.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 04:39
dentobizz wrote:

I think that is good thinking on your part to apply now.Said is not hell bent on a 80/80 split ,and 710 is above their average. U may want to even consider Judge,the deadline is also coming up in April 2nd week if I recollect correctly.

yup, both

(it's always great to talk these things out!)

If you like it, Kudo it!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 04:42
yes, that's why forums exist, don't they.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 04:48
budablasta wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

yup, both

But Cambridge does seem to be very particular about a balance in the score.

If you like it, Kudo it!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 04:53
budablasta wrote:
budablasta wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

yup, both

But Cambridge does seem to be very particular about a balance in the score.

Yes more than oxford. I think you should read the transcript of the Q n A session conducted by accepted.com with Judge admissions member, that may answer a few questions

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 05:17
dentobizz wrote:
Yes more than oxford. I think you should read the transcript of the Q n A session conducted by accepted.com with Judge admissions member, that may answer a few questions

Hey thanks! I read through that transcript. Says, "50 places left for the last 2 rounds". Scary! But that was to be expected, I guess!

If you like it, Kudo it!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 13:37
budablasta wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

Hey thanks! I read through that transcript. Says, "50 places left for the last 2 rounds". Scary! But that was to be expected, I guess!

Your welcome. Given that the total intake is somewhere b/w 150-160 students, the places are almost equally divided among the different rounds, give or take 5-10 places.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 08:27
Did you do the MANHATTAN tests timed? I find them much harder than actual questions
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 06:18
budablasta wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Your strategy is good, and your score is even better...

Do ppl agree?

That's exactly what i think. I am not going to give GMAT again, and I am going to move on to the next process. Doing well in other parts (application, essay etc.) is also necessary. Please go through the initial 4-5 links on this post - everything-about-the-mba-application-v2-156614.html
Re: Still not done with the GMAT - 710 (Q49, V37)   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2013, 06:18