Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: still time to take GMAT and apply for R1? [#permalink]
Kudos
don't underestimate the time it takes to do the applications. Like rhyme said, while the time it takes varies between people for the GMAT and apps, you'll need AT LEAST one good month of studying every night and weekend to get a good GMAT score (unless you're one of those awesome people :P). As for apps, you want AT LEAST 1.5 months to get all the recommenders ready, school research, resumes, work history, EC history, fill out applications, and of course, the essays.

Here's a timeline for me last year:

GMAT:
Started studying early July, took test early August. It depends on your diagnostic test and your first GMATPrep test. I guess I was lucky that math is not hard for me (engineer trained) and RC/CR came simple to me. Most of the studying was in Sentence Correction (isn't it obvious in my posts? :wink:). If you need to study for more than one section, then add 2-4 more weeks to the prep time.

Applications:
Resumes, Work History, EC history - 1 week (using work hours, night hours, and weekends - thank goodness work wasn't too busy)
Recommender Guide - 1 week
First set of essays outlines - 1 week
First set of essays drafts - 1 week
Final "cleanup" and editing - 1-2 weeks
School Research, Applications, Class Visits, Informational Interviews - Roughly 1-2 weeks total time

So that's about 1.5 months for your first school. And remember, your first set probably won't be that great (I did Berkeley first, and then looked back at it after I submitted Stanford and UCLA, to realize how crappy those essays were. And I thought I was done too! :( )

After that your 2nd set will be MUCH easier.

2nd Set Essay Outlines - 0.5 week
2nd Set Essay Drafts - 1 week
2nd Set Essay Edits and Polish - 1-2 weeks

and so forth.

Remember, you need to give your editor/readers time to comment and critique, which often takes 1-2 weeks. Granted, you can do other things during that time, but keep that in mind.

Also, Recommenders NEED to get the recommendation packets AT LEAST 1 month in advance. Even then, they will procrastinate and probably won't write it until the weekend before it's due. You'll have to manage your recommenders intelligently, which will take up some of your time.

So what am I trying to say with all that? If you start studying now, and you're one of those very smart ones, then you'll take the GMAT in early September, and will probably get ONE, at most 2 sets of applications (pick two that overlap in essay topics as much as possible) by R1, which are normally mid-October. You can aim for a 2nd school that has R1 due in November, like Berkeley-Haas or NYU. That may work out better.

I would probably do "safer" schools in R1 and your top choices in R2 in this case. Otherwise, you'll end up like rhyme said, mediocre in both GMAT and application.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
It depends on how long you will take to study for the GMAT, last year I took mine in mid September and I had time for 2 R1s (with a very demanding work).

If you start studying now, you may take in Sep, and them work full time for essays; however, I don't think you will have time for a second GMAT chance, and still apply for R1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Review question types, concepts for a week, take a gmatprep test and find out where you stand and report back to us.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I agree with terp26...

I'm going to take my GMAT on September 8, however I started studying back in May. I needed the time however because I don't have a quant background, so it has taken me longer to bone up on all the concepts. But if you're comfortable with a lot of what's on the GMAT, then you could very well break 700 with only a few weeks worth of studying. Take a diag and see where you stand, then go from there...

And you can do a retake if you take the GMAT in early Sept, you'll just have to work on essays at the same time...eek.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
tuck20xx wrote:
is it too late at this point to study for the gmat, fill out all the essays/apps and still apply (competitively) for R1 to elite schools? can it be done? 1 month for gmat and 1 month for essays/apps?

I don't see why you can't do both simultaneously. While it will be very time consuming, it can't hurt to study for the GMAT and outline your essay topics at the same time. You'd be on a very strict timeline, so you'll really only have one shot at the GMAT. If you don't get your desired score then you may have to push your applications back until after your re-take.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I like Rhyme. Thanks for the candor and reality check.
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
wow thanks guys. very insightful.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
guys need your advice, i recently took my gmat and completely bombed it..i typically score 730-780 on my gmatpreps but ended up scoring much much lower..i think it was a serious case of nerves..too much drama before my exam..so i am thinking of re-taking gmat end of august and apply R1 to at least 4 or 5 ultra-elite schools...

i m already looking at essays and gathering data points from my past to write-up essays..my biggest problem is my recommendors are extremely lazyor busy.and have asked me write up drafts for them to review...i dont think i can write up 8-9 letters in this time...what do you guys think??

Do you think i can manage to write 4-5 b-school essays by oct and still have some time to review for my gmat and write draft letters?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
If you really "bombed" your GMAT and can score 730+ with minimal studying, I'd probably go for it. Sounds like it would be relatively little effort, right?

I think your situation is a bit different than that of the original poster - in his case, he needs to study an unknown amount which could easily be hundreds of hours - in your case, you need to "maintain" your level, which should be a comparatively easier task.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Thank you so much for this post kryzak,

I was looking exactly for something similar.

Do you think international students have similar chances to get into for both R1 and R2?

Cheers

kryzak wrote:
don't underestimate the time it takes to do the applications. Like rhyme said, while the time it takes varies between people for the GMAT and apps, you'll need AT LEAST one good month of studying every night and weekend to get a good GMAT score (unless you're one of those awesome people :P). As for apps, you want AT LEAST 1.5 months to get all the recommenders ready, school research, resumes, work history, EC history, fill out applications, and of course, the essays.

Here's a timeline for me last year:

GMAT:
Started studying early July, took test early August. It depends on your diagnostic test and your first GMATPrep test. I guess I was lucky that math is not hard for me (engineer trained) and RC/CR came simple to me. Most of the studying was in Sentence Correction (isn't it obvious in my posts? :wink:). If you need to study for more than one section, then add 2-4 more weeks to the prep time.

Applications:
Resumes, Work History, EC history - 1 week (using work hours, night hours, and weekends - thank goodness work wasn't too busy)
Recommender Guide - 1 week
First set of essays outlines - 1 week
First set of essays drafts - 1 week
Final "cleanup" and editing - 1-2 weeks
School Research, Applications, Class Visits, Informational Interviews - Roughly 1-2 weeks total time

So that's about 1.5 months for your first school. And remember, your first set probably won't be that great (I did Berkeley first, and then looked back at it after I submitted Stanford and UCLA, to realize how crappy those essays were. And I thought I was done too! :( )

After that your 2nd set will be MUCH easier.

2nd Set Essay Outlines - 0.5 week
2nd Set Essay Drafts - 1 week
2nd Set Essay Edits and Polish - 1-2 weeks

and so forth.

Remember, you need to give your editor/readers time to comment and critique, which often takes 1-2 weeks. Granted, you can do other things during that time, but keep that in mind.

Also, Recommenders NEED to get the recommendation packets AT LEAST 1 month in advance. Even then, they will procrastinate and probably won't write it until the weekend before it's due. You'll have to manage your recommenders intelligently, which will take up some of your time.

So what am I trying to say with all that? If you start studying now, and you're one of those very smart ones, then you'll take the GMAT in early September, and will probably get ONE, at most 2 sets of applications (pick two that overlap in essay topics as much as possible) by R1, which are normally mid-October. You can aim for a 2nd school that has R1 due in November, like Berkeley-Haas or NYU. That may work out better.

I would probably do "safer" schools in R1 and your top choices in R2 in this case. Otherwise, you'll end up like rhyme said, mediocre in both GMAT and application.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
JohnLewis1980 wrote:

Do you think international students have similar chances to get into for both R1 and R2?

Cheers

Not sure, but schools generally ask international students to apply before R3 due to visa issues. Other than that, I'm guessing the chances are the same as the domestic students.
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
JohnLewis1980 wrote:

Cheers

Not sure, but schools generally ask international students to apply before R3 due to visa issues. Other than that, I'm guessing the chances are the same as the domestic students.

My experience and that from international students I talked too is the same: the sooner the better. Schools usually say to avoid the last round as Kryzak mentioned because of bureaucracy (and believe me for some people living in some countries this will be an issue). Having said that, I think that some schools such as: CBS, Stanford, Haas and Tuck, you should def go for R1 or ED.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
kwam, do you really think that Haas penalizes international students on R2?

mmmm, I think I have to replan my strategy... :x

Cheers
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
kwam, do you really think that Haas penalizes international students on R2?

mmmm, I think I have to replan my strategy... :x

Cheers

Not that penalizes, but the class is so small that if Haas is one of your top choices, apply if are able in R1, but I think Kryzak can help you better with these.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
kwam is right, there are just so few spots that if there are great candidates for R1, they can only reserve so many spots open for R2 and beyond. Granted, there is the waitlist, but I think from this past year's experience, much fewer people got off the waitlist (no # yet, but I'll report it when I find out) than before, and only 1-2 people (that we know of) got in from GMATClub in R2, versus 4 or so for R1. I don't think anyone here got in R3 or after...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
kwam is right, there are just so few spots that if there are great candidates for R1, they can only reserve so many spots open for R2 and beyond. Granted, there is the waitlist, but I think from this past year's experience, much fewer people got off the waitlist (no # yet, but I'll report it when I find out) than before, and only 1-2 people (that we know of) got in from GMATClub in R2, versus 4 or so for R1. I don't think anyone here got in R3 or after...

mmm ok, I've cheked the deadline for R1 and I think I have enough time: november 4th 2008

kryzak, what you say makes a lot of sense, many thanks for your advice!

Cheers
GMAT Club Bot