Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 220 [1] , given: 974

Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:56) correct 61% (00:55) wrong based on 151 sessions
Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many concerned investors to move major accounts, such as 401-K and other retirement accounts.
(A) Stocks and portfolio investment failures
(B) Failures of stocks investments and portfolio investments
(C) Failures in the investment of stocks and other portfolios
(D) Failures of stock and other portfolio investments
(E) Portfolio investment failures, including stocks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 120 [2] , given: 7

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 18:20
This post received
KUDOS
dokiyoki,

Great question! You need the word "other" there because stocks are a type of portfolio investment. Think of the following example:

"Dogs and household animals require a lot of work." --> This implies that dogs are not household animals, so this would be incorrect.
"Dogs and cats require a lot of work." --> This is just fine, since dogs and cats are two unique things that both require a lot of work."
"Dogs and other household animals require a lot of work." --> This is fine also, since saying "other household animals" correctly implies that dogs are a type of household animal.

Or try this example:

"I like to drink Coke or soft drinks with dinner." --> Doesn't make sense, right?
"I like to drink Coke or other soft drinks with dinner." --> This does make sense. Coke is a type of soft drink, so you need that "other" there.

Make sense?

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 06:05
Thanks alot Brett !!

Could you also please throw some light on why choice A is incorrect ? Also, for eliminating other AC's, is my reasoning correct ?

[My SC skills are getting a bit rusty :(]
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 120 [2] , given: 7

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
dokiyoki,

Choice A says:

"Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many concerned investors to move major accounts, such as 401-K and other retirement accounts."

The implication here (think parallelism!) is that there are two things that caused concerned investors to move major accounts: stock, and portfolio investment failures. However, "stocks" by themselves did not cause the investors to move accounts; stock failures did. As such, the meaning of A is nonsensical.

B) is wrong because it says "stocks investments and other..." If there were three things in this list, you would need a comma between stocks and investments. But that still wouldn't make sense. When we take "stocks investments" as a subject, it doesn't make any sense. So there is no way to make the subject correct here.

Your reasoning for D) is fine.

In E) we have "Portfolio investment failures, including stocks have caused." If we're trying to make "including stocks" part of the investment failures, we would need a comma after "stocks." As it is, it doesn't make any sense.

Hope that helps!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 04:37
Thanks Alot Brett. That really helped :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 21:44
BKimball wrote:
dokiyoki,

Choice A says:

"Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many concerned investors to move major accounts, such as 401-K and other retirement accounts."

The implication here (think parallelism!) is that there are two things that caused concerned investors to move major accounts: stock, and portfolio investment failures. However, "stocks" by themselves did not cause the investors to move accounts; stock failures did. As such, the meaning of A is nonsensical.

B) is wrong because it says "stocks investments and other..." If there were three things in this list, you would need a comma between stocks and investments. But that still wouldn't make sense. When we take "stocks investments" as a subject, it doesn't make any sense. So there is no way to make the subject correct here.

Your reasoning for D) is fine.

In E) we have "Portfolio investment failures, including stocks have caused." If we're trying to make "including stocks" part of the investment failures, we would need a comma after "stocks." As it is, it doesn't make any sense.

Hope that helps!

Brett

Dear brett
please help why D is incorrect

also the explanation of dokiyoki for the same........... :? :?

WarLocK

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 307

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 11:46
feruz77 wrote:
Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many concerned investors to move major accounts, such as 401-K and other retirement accounts.

You need the word "other" there because stocks are a type of portfolio investment. In A stocks is not a bad thing. In B portfolio investments aint a bad thing. In D what is failures of stock? This is unidiomatic. In E, again stocks aint a bad thing, we want to say that failures in the investment of stocks is what is causing concern. C is the only correct answer choice

Just my 2c

Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 56

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 07:13
Is C not changing the meaning of original sentence? Also What is "failures in investment of stock & other portfolios"?

D seems meaningful in the context of the complete sentence.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 15:59
feruz77 wrote:

I am still not clear with the explanation...

On exam day, I would go with D.

In C, i read and understood like this- " that investors failed to invest in Stock and other portfolio that caused many ...... " - this changed the meaning of sentnce and that's why i reject D. :?

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 19:11
gmatprav wrote:
Is C not changing the meaning of original sentence? Also What is "failures in investment of stock & other portfolios"?

D doesn't make any sense. You would never say, "I'm a failure of Math." You'd only say, "I'm a failure in Math." Idiomatic.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 56

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 22:33
Hi mejia thanks for the reply. I understand the grounds you gave to reject D. However, doesn't C change the intended meaning of the sentence?

What does "Failures in investment of stock & other portfolios" mean? it seems to say the (process of)investing of stocks itself has failed. or something similar, it does not seem to mean

Failures in stock and other portfolio investments have led to xyz...

C doesn't seem clean either.

mejia401 wrote:
gmatprav wrote:

D doesn't make any sense. You would never say, "I'm a failure of Math." You'd only say, "I'm a failure in Math." Idiomatic.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:51
Beware of using nouns such as "stocks" and "portfolio" as adjectives. Also note that "stock," when used as an adjective (in "stock investments" in D) actually means "typical."

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 11:11
mejia401 wrote:
gmatprav wrote:

I don't think the above can be the basis to eliminate option D . We also say 'The failure of the missile fuel tank caused great loss.'
Re: Stocks and portfolio investment failures have caused many   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 11:11