Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Will Padawan become Jedi of the GMAT? Plot unveils 28th Oct [#permalink]
Kudos
By the way I clocked about 240 hours worth of gmat work. It's roughly 4 hours per day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Stop procastinating, and schedule a date NOW! [#permalink]
the other innovative way to schedule test date:

Just get 730+ on last 2 mock tests(one of them should be GMATPrep test) and after that take a nearest date or date within a week.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
Re: My logbook: Stop procastinating, and schedule a date NOW! [#permalink]
Hurray! Using old MGMAT Sentence Correction book combined with OG10, I was able to nail a 28/36 correct answers for chapter 1.

I'm rather pleased with that score knowing that some stupid neighbor has been using his chainsaw to cut logs the whole afternoon. I'm happy I was able to stay concentrated on my task.

I did the questions without timing myself. I wanted to take it easy, without stress, in order to understand the twists the gmat writers introduce and get the hang of answering these questions right.

With more experience I'll work on thinking faster and answering the question within the allotted time, which is ≈1 minute from what I've read.

Starting from now, I'll strictly adhere to my daily schedule, without overdoing the preparation so I won't get exhausted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Re: Stop procastinating, and schedule a date NOW! [#permalink]
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Hi akaydee, I think you should still schedule a date. "I'll take the test when I'm ready" is a bad idea, not only for gmat by the way.

Thanks. I fully agree with you.

PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:

Even the Debian developers have moved on to a scheduled release project management after having praised the "it's ready when it's ready" scheme :)
PS: your Michael Jordan video link is awesome!.

Yes Debian's a great example.

Glad you like the Michael Jordan video. It's really appropriate for those taking the GMAT. It's a bit like conditional probability questions. The more you fail the better your chances are of success.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
I can't schedule a test date until I get my final exam schedule at college and book my tickets for getting back home or visiting my boyfriend (need a place to take the GMAT, you see). GAH.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I'm doing good progress thanks to the MGMAT books.

I also just received in the mail my PowerScore Critical Reasoning book, and they say that correctly answering the first questions has more weight than the last ones which just adjust the score, but that contradicts what MGMAT say. So who's right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
I'm doing good progress thanks to the MGMAT books.

I also just received in the mail my PowerScore Critical Reasoning book, and they say that correctly answering the first questions has more weight than the last ones which just adjust the score, but that contradicts what MGMAT say. So who's right?

Without any whisker of doubt the first few questions carry maximum weight.....!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
It's funny when we realize that we can't tell if a question is hard or not. Using PowerScore CR bible, I was working on the Chapter 5 problem set. I failed some stupid questions and yet the hardest one seemed easy to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Count me in too....Booked it finally.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I finished today my review of PowerScore's CR book. God it's a big book! It's gets really tough near the end.

I'm now into MGMAT Number Properties and after reading only a few pages I can already tell it well help me a lot! Excellent refresher.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Damn' I was taking my first MGMAT test, and for some reason it crapped out and it logged me out after the first quant question.

Now I'm waiting til gmatprep getrs downloaded and I'll go for the real thing.

Originally posted by PadawanOfTheGMAT on 08 Sep 2010, 07:08.
Last edited by PadawanOfTheGMAT on 08 Sep 2010, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
hey, this is almost same thing that happened to me:
i joined the club last June then posted around and prep for test. Then I procrastinated till this april to take it. Well I was also finishing up my Grad degree and due to timeline issues and the fact i was a bit late to the "apply 2009" party so i went lazy. After april's test i took a Knewton course and immediately schedule my test 2-3 weeks after to make sure i wont procrastinate again... 250$ on the line is hard to procrastinate by :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I could resume the MGMAT test and do it completely and therefore save gmatprep for later.

So I have an engineering+math background and scored 630 (Q45 77%, V32 67%), result which I'm pleased of as I have only been through less than two weeks of training. Actually my secret goal for this test was 640, so let's say I reached it :) With some work on Verbal I'm sure I will nail a 7 on T-day.

In Math, I simply ditched some of the questions I had no idea how to answer such as Combinatorics, rates and stuff that I haven't used for the last 10 years. I already studied MGMAT Number Properties and Geometry which helped me. I finished just at the last second but had to randomly pick the choice.

In Verbal, I went too quickly by finishing 15 minutes ahead of time. Yet, I have only worked on CR (completed PowerScore course and felt the need to review my notes) and a little bit of SC, so there is definitely room for improvement. I'm eager to receive my MGMAT RC and SC books to get really started in Verbal.

My essays were awful. I think one of the tricks is to learn some buzz words and sentences by heart and just spit them out. I have only watched the MGMAT AWA lab, and it severely lacks useful content. When you're in the essay, there is no time to come up with fancy and cheesy sentences, this must be done before you step in the testing room or you're toast. My ideas were good, but putting them down was bad. I haven't written these kind of essays for a very long time (8 years I guess), except my cover letters which I take more than 30 minutes to write ;)

All in all, it was a good first experience and made me train on my stamina (I enforced the 8 minutes only breaks), as I am sure it's tested as much as our quant and verbal abilities.

Time for debriefing now.

Cheers,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mwaaaahaaaa! My last PS which I randomly picked was correct!

By the way what's the # sign question?

I was completely thrown off when I saw:
Quote:
If #p# = ap3+ bp – 1 where a and b are constants, and #-5# = 3, what is the value of #5#?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
My god! I got killed by CR, and yet that's the only thing I thoroughly studied in Verbal! :shock:

I think I went over the PowerScore CR book too quickly and need to review some concepts. One good thing is that PowerScore CR helped me improve my RC! I got excellent results. My SC was fair.

I also noted that I failed the first question in Quant and Verbal! I must pay attention and be better mentally prepared to attack the GMAT!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
My god! I got killed by CR, and yet that's the only thing I thoroughly studied in Verbal! :shock:

I think I went over the PowerScore CR book too quickly and need to review some concepts. One good thing is that PowerScore CR helped me improve my RC! I got excellent results. My SC was fair.

I also noted that I failed the first question in Quant and Verbal! I must pay attention and be better mentally prepared to attack the GMAT!

knowing the problem is part of solving the problem. Now you should try error logs and study things thoroughly
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
If you don't use error logs you will consistently get the problems wrong, quality over quantity like they say.

Thanks,
Dawg
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts