Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Stopping Law School, Realized Want MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
timpriot wrote:
I am 100% that I am leaving. I have not prepared for exams. Am I better off taking a leave of absence before exams rather than perform poorly? Then I could explain that I left because I realized I did not want to practice law rather than have to explain poor performance and possibly signal that I left b/c of poor performance?

When you put it that way, taking a leave of absence could look better. If you plan on applying to graduate school (or a job, frankly) in the future, people will do background checks and will find out you attended law school. Whatever you do, you do not want to give doubt to future schools or employers about your ability to achieve in the classroom.

Whatever you do though, you should NOT base your decision off what people tell you over the Internet. You should meet with a guidance counselor at your school and see what they think. Talk to a professor, your friends in law school, and your family. Your leaving law school impacts a lot more people around you than just yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I think you should definitely listen to strangers on the intertronz.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you know you want to leave, there' s probably no point in preparing for exams. Whether you need to report studies you have withdrawn from to the MBA AdCom is debatable. Depends if you have other things to fill your time. But you WILL need to have an amazingly convincing and logical story to explain why MBA is the right thing for you,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Kudos
I'm going to assume that since you are in law school you have less than 2 years WE. Without WE, you will not get accepted. I will share my experience with you, so take this for what is is worth.

I have an interesting perspective, as I began graduate school as a JD/MBA at a T25. After the first year (composed of law school classes), I transferred to a T5 law school. I am graduating from law school this spring, and will be entering a M7 business school. (not the most efficient path - either from time or financial point of view - I know).

Though I did have quality work experience (~hard to date since some was during college, but lets say 3 years), I was on the low end of WE; however, I believe my grades at law school differentiated me.

I could be wrong of course, but just my $0.02. Best of luck and PM me if you want to talk further.
GMAT Club Bot