Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

STRANGE BUT TRUE!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

STRANGE BUT TRUE!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2006, 17:09
I have been sitting on the fence and observing this truly wonderful site for last few weeks. I want to share my GMAT experience and seek your advice. Before going further, let me tell you about my background.

Background: Having worked for many years, I decided to pursue MBA. I wrote GMAT in 2004 and started my MBA in January 2005. I finished my MBA in August 2006 from one of the top ranked schools in North America. I scored 640 in last GMAT. My strong work experience and essays/AWA scores must have played more important role than GMAT score. After finishing MBA, I started working for a technology company. Now I am planning to pursue PhD in Marketing and decided to take GMAT again.

GMAT again: I took GMAT today and sorry tale of my life started.
Well rested and well fed, I reached Pearson center 40 minutes before scheduled time. I did not have much difficulty in AWA section. I took 8 minutes break and started Quantitative section. I started well,moreover, my timing was good. I scored 44, not a stellar performance by any standard. After break, I started verbal section and scored 17. Yes! Only17.

I am not sure what has gone so wrong that I got 17 only. The more I think, the more I am convinced that I must have made too many mistakes in the beginning. I have always scored in the range of 30 to 39 in my verbal section when taking Power prep or Kaplan GMAT tests.

Next steps: I will be taking diagnostic tests on verbal section to assess my weak areas and improve those areas. I am planning to take GMAT again after 8 weeks. I know many of you, experienced and successful test takers ,will help me. I am not sure what is the best way to go from here. One thing is for sure,I am determined to win against GMAT. This is not over, yet.
Your advice, suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Bhaarat[/b]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Verbal Section [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 17:04
Hello All,
I know it is festive time and long weekend is coming for many people,however, any thoughts/suggestions to improve verbal section will greatly appreciated.

Bhaarat
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 23:49
let's start with this: are you a native English speaker ?

I assume different methods of preparation will be more useful than others depending on whether you're a native English speaker.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 04:00
Bhaarat !
You have mentioned that you wrote GMAT in 2004 and you scored 640. Its really a decent score. As far as I know, the GMAT score is valid for 5 years. So from that point of view, when you are applying for any other school till 2009, your GMAT score of 640 is valid.
But now that you appeared for GMAT once again and scored quite low, this score may affect your selection. There are schools which consider your highest score, but again that depends on the school you are applying for. This is generally mentioned in the site of the school. Find such schools and apply using your old score. Hopefully things work out.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 05:48
Thanks for taking time to reply. First thing first. No, i am not a native English speaker,however, i have been living in English speaking countries for last 8 years.

As for as applying to schools with 640 score is concerned, i will be considering that. The concern is that now i am applying for P.hD program and competition gets tougher than competition for MBA's.

Thanks again.

Bhaarat
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 14:29
dude !!

i also gone through the same traumatic situation.
i got Q50 & V18, cant understand what went soo wrong.

but, one fact i agree that i am just rushing in verbal session......... over conscious of time

anyways i am planning to do it again.

All the best for U !!

Dare to Dream,
Care to Achieve.

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2006, 18:07
Don't underestimate the Fatigue that kicks in after 2 hrs of extreme concentration...

Never take test with empty/light snack and stay away from REDBULL/Caffeine drinks till the Quant is over, as the effect wears of quickly

cheers
  [#permalink] 26 Dec 2006, 18:07