Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 00:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strange but very Important Help needed !!! :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Strange but very Important Help needed !!! :( [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 10:01
Ok, desperate call here. Have been preparing since sometime now, however lately i realized that I suffer from a pathetic syndrome. I have this problem of absentmindedness and that too of highest degree. This is specially when I am reading. I don't know how serious this issue will be taken but I am assured that this is a very critical issue and if treated will help me score much much better.

Whenever I read, my mind starts wandering towards un-related things e.g. any recent discussions, gadgets that I want to own, to entrepreneurship, to recent date with my girlfriend, to any random thing one can possibly think of.. I know this sounds very childish and un-professional but is a fact. Worst part is sometimes I don't even realize it. Also, these lapses in attention are for very short intervals, maybe 1-2 seconds but occur very frequently or so but the thing is, I have to return back to the part I missed and inadvertently even skip it. All in All I spend much more time with much less comprehension.

This is not just in RC, even in CR, SC and even Maths.... I tend to re read quite often, infact almost 90% of the time. I also think so much when I am doing other activities like talking to someone, watching a movie etc.

When I realized about it I searched over internet about the possible remedies. I tried meditation, with earplugs on, studying in White Noise, be here now technique. No matter how hard I try not to think about random stuffs I always end up doing so. I very much want to ace in gmat but don't know how to go about it.
I recently took few mocks -
Manhattan - 670 Powerprep - 700 Veritas - 600 !!!!! :'((

And 1 thing i found common in all(even the questions not taken as mocks) - My accuracy in RC tends to be the lowest (with big difference). Also while analyzing my mocks I realized something. 85% of the mistakes that I committed were not because of forgetting an SC rule or committing a calculation mistake but because I misread (or skipped)words in Statement or Passage or Question or Options. No matter which part of test, I committed the same mistake everywhere. I am sure even while typing this long message I must have thought of numerous random stuffs.

I know if I can get over this, big awards are hiding for me. I need advice to overcome this problem. Should I see a psychologist?
If anyone is facing the same issue pls let me know. Experts, you can be of great help,u have the experience of psychology of variety of students. I will do everything to overcome it. I have my GMAT exam in 13 days.
PM me if u think it can be personal.
PS - I don't do drugs, don't smoke,drink very seldom(once in maybe 2months,none since 7-8 months)

Thanks in advance for your patience and reply.

"Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it"
- Sir Winston Churchill

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Strange but very Important Help needed !!! :(   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2011, 10:01