Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

strange student profile - thoughts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

strange student profile - thoughts? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 17:05
Hi, I'm planning to apply for MAcc / MPA programs for the Summer or Fall (depends on the particular program), 2011. I really don't have any idea what my chances are, though, because I don't really have a usual student profile, so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about my chances?

My dream is to attend UT-Austin, because of their great accounting program, low cost of living, and I would love to live and work in Austin. I think it's a pretty far reach, though (their median GPA is about 0.5 points higher than mine!), so I guess my top realistic choices are USC, William & Mary (I'm a VA resident), and UNC... what do you guys think?

graduated from Swarthmore College in 2010, math major, chemistry minor
undergrad GPA (no accounting): 3.1
skipped 2 grades so I graduated at the age of 19. I would be 22 when I start a master's program.
GMAT: 770
unemployed and not a student between June 2010 and May 2011 (I think this will be a huge problem)

I will have taken finished Intermediate Accounting II (and all prereqs, obviously) by the time I begin my master's. along with the 2 econ classes I'm taking this summer, these grades could affect my GPA. if, theoretically, I averaged a 3.67 (A-) in these six courses, my cumulative GPA would rise to 3.2.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-09-2013
GPA: 3.34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: strange student profile - thoughts? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 18:51
Very impressive GMAT score. I think u should be able to get inside UT-austin. I think the average for that school is around 680? I think...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: strange student profile - thoughts? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 10:35
Your profile is not that strange. The fact is - tons of high caliber students (like yourself) are flooding into MS Accounting programs because it's one of the few industries hiring right now.

Your lack of work experience won't hurt you because you are not really expected to have any work experience.
Your GPA is your weakness and your GMAT score (and school calibre) will probably offset somewhat for most programs.

UT Austin wants applicants with both high GPA and GMAT (above 670-ish) combination because they attract a lot of advisory positions in adition to audit/tax. UT Austin may be little out of reach but not impossible.

Look at other high calibre programs like UNC, USC, Notre Dame, etc.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: strange student profile - thoughts? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 22:57
you can definitely do it -

Below 3 GPA, mid 600's GMAT, non accounting major

Went to top 5 MSA progam

In Big 4 now - year 2!
Re: strange student profile - thoughts?   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2011, 22:57