Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategies on how to tackle new paperless format?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Strategies on how to tackle new paperless format? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 06:35
Hi,

Can someone, who has already taken new format test, discuss their strategies
on how to tackle paperless format? I like to know how many white boards do they give before the test. I used to divide paper into 8 boxes/page. Does anyone know how many boards do we get. And also do they give new set of markers to every test taker? btw, I dont like this new format at all.

Thanks to all for giving us this forum....

Faisalt
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 16:49
can anyone actually validate that this is even true? if it is, we should all revolt!!

this sounds like a practical joke. if you spend all your time studying with paper and pencil - and if you're like me, i write with very fine pencils and i right very small. i can't imagine taking a marker and trying to read what the heck i'm writing. they might as well give us chalk and a slab of concrete.

not only are you under the time pressure, now you have extra time to erase and deal with a marker.

can someone confirm this ridiculous claim?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 18:02
From http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/TheE ... in2006.htm

Noteboards
The administrator will provide you with two (2) erasable noteboards at the start of your test. If you fill these noteboards during your test, you may request replacements by raising your hand. You may not remove these noteboards from the testing room at any time. Every noteboard must be returned at the end of the test session. You may not take your own noteboard into the testing room.

I am assuming it is some sort of pen or marker. Either way, it's no good.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2005, 19:26
what idiots! ok, i sent a message to the pearson folks. we'll see what they say. if they're serious about this, i will personally organize a revolt. write your congressman! :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 01:43
would like to know how many guys in this forum have to make the GMAT at Pearsons. Maybe we can arrange a plebiscite, if this is the proper term.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2005, 00:53
I agree - this is BS. I don;t know why they are further complicating an already stressful situation and using a medium they know we aren't comfortable with.

Please keep us updated if anyone calls Pearson...

and I also write in my own tiny chicken scratches...a medium tip pen or generously flowing ball point drives me crazy - I can't imagine doing quant with a dry-erase marker!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2005, 13:47
I called up the Pearson offices here in Singapore (where I am based) and in Manila (where i used to work), and both confirmed the eventual use of the "whiteboard" (which is nothing more than laminated bond paper). What the Singapore office told me, though, is that Pearson is considering to allow more than 2 boards per person. Does anyone know what the final policy is? January is just around the corner.

I've already written to Pearson twice to try to clarify this, but i haven't even received a reply. Quite unprofessional, if you ask me... and it frankly pisses me off. I'm all for public clamor on this one... was wondering in fact why most people are only talking about it now when the policy was introduced some months back and i've been worrying ever since as my work load will only let me take the GMAT in 06.
Intern
Intern

Does anyone know how big those white boards are? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2005, 18:26
ETS used supply us with 4 papers quite generously :shock: . Those 4 papers were not really sufficient for me as i write big letters. In my first attempt, I had to really search for blank spaces on the paper to work on Quant questions.

I am not sure if these white boards would be big enough for us to use for all those calculations. I don't buy their words about replenishing new paper/white boards whenever hands are raised. It did not happen during my first attempt. I was given pencils with broken leads and I had to literally walk to the proctor to ask for replacement as nobody took notice of my raised hand. It is utter waste of time.

:x

MBADREAMER

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 21:57
It's been mentioned before on this site that the 'whiteboards' are laminated pieces of white paper and markers will be given for writing on them. No working is to be erased from these boards, though you can erase to re-write if you make a mistake (quite dumb, if you ask me). However, it seems that this format will be here to stay unless Pearson decides on something else.

Since this thread is about strategy, I'll try to suggest something which you can try out.

I've never seen the whiteboards before nor taken the Pearson administered GMAT, so I can't comment on the quality of their boards (smooth/rough, reflective or dull etc) or their markers (fine/medium/thick, smudge etc). However, I suppose you can try and laminate your own piece of A4 paper and practice using a marker, as opposed to using pen and pencil. Yes, it's a hassle, but I supose it's better than adapting on test-day itself.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 23:22
Happy New Years everyone!

I'm going to call Pearson and see if I can go to a test center and look at a 'whiteboard'
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 08:21
Impulse,

Do update us please! Very interested in this whiteboard business....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

white boards.. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 10:51
this is indeed a serious issue....

"Nothing is Impossible"

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 20:08
I'm afriad what ywilfred said is true.

It seems that some tests were already utilizing the erasable boards because when I took the test last week, I saw the administrators giving them out.

Its indeed laminated papers and I think only 2 is given at a time (From what I saw) as well as one black marker.

I think the idea is totally dumb.......Its not a hassle for verbal as not much work is needed but for quant.....I used up all the booklet and had to find spaces to work because I didn't want to have to wait for them.

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Relax guys !!! [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 21:27
alrite guys relax & chill....now the point is nothing can be done about this white boards and markers...so y simply take tension ...infact we all can follow wat ywilfred suggest !!...practise with whiteboards before the real thing.....DO WE HAVE AN OPTION ????

and again wat TECHM said is true...this is not gonna be a hassle for verbal...but ONLY quant.....so u just gotta adjust ur hand writing in the quant section .....

I personallly feel , the only hassle is the size of the marker pen....!!! :oops:

coz if u write in big letters..u mite use up the board quickly and keep asking for 2 more.. and 2 more and 2 more..and this will take ur time in quant section....

so practise writing in small letters...

Can anybody here give me an exact size of the marker..is it fine/medium/thick, smudge etc ?????

all the best
Jinesh

"Nothing is Impossible"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 21:53
one question... if it says "erasable", why cant we simply use a piece of tissue, our shirt, hands or whatever to rub it off and get more space for working?

I know Pearson says not allow to erase workings... but I'm sure they do not stand beisde you to supervise 100% of the time!?
some thoughts on this?

If they ask why u have so little workings on the paper... simply reply, i use mental calculation!!!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 21:57
Whoever made up this rule is definitely smoking something.

Let's wait couple days until some of our fellow test takers give us their input.

I think I will call PV or my testing center to confirm what exactly can be erased/not erased.

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 09:39
Some info on Pearson Vue administered CBTs:

I took a (non-GMAT) certification exam a few months ago, and was given a laminated white board, with a black marker (erasable ink). The board was about 8'' X 11'', and the marker was about 1.5 times thicker than a standard wood penciil. The marker tip was about 3-4 mm.

I was not asked to refrain from erasing anything, though I can't confirm if there was some rule about this, as I never needed any paper for this test.

I would not be surprised if this is the same model maintained for the upcoming GMAT tests as well.

Hope this info helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 15:11
Hi ALL,

This is definitely serious issue. We must do SOMETHING about it.

Sages Pls suggest. It definitely makes the test scores an apples to oranges comparision under different conditions.

If someone on the board has lobbying expertise it will be good to get some direction. :-D > I can only think of everyone sending multiple emails to MBA.COM Customer Service.
  [#permalink] 04 Jan 2006, 15:11