Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:11
Hi,

I'd like some crisp advice on retaking my GMAT. I've taken GMAT twice last year and scored a miserly 540 on both accounts. Needless to say, after visiting this forum, I've realized that my preparation was below par.

I was so despondent after the results that I did not apply to any schools (obviously!).

I've sorta decided that I should give GMAT another go but I'm somehow unable to motivate myself enough and have this mental block that I've got such dreadful scores earlier that another failed attempt will be my death knell as far as a Career in management is concerned. Hence, I'm unable to make a head start.

I need some advice on whether I should even consider giving GMAT a third time and what my strategy should be this time around.

A brief on my profile to give you'll a better insight.
I'm working with a very reputed product company in their software division as a developer. I have a little over 5 years of work ex. I'm looking at doing a 1 year MBA as opposed to a 2 year one. I'm at a stage in my career where I need to make the switch now or I'll have invested a lot more time in the technical field and a switch to a management role will be a difficult one to make.

I'll also be grateful if I could receive suggestions on any online prep courses for Quant because I feel I'm a tad better in Verbal than in Quant.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
sowmyapk wrote:
Hi,

I'd like some crisp advice on retaking my GMAT. I've taken GMAT twice last year and scored a miserly 540 on both accounts. Needless to say, after visiting this forum, I've realized that my preparation was below par.

I was so despondent after the results that I did not apply to any schools (obviously!).

I've sorta decided that I should give GMAT another go but I'm somehow unable to motivate myself enough and have this mental block that I've got such dreadful scores earlier that another failed attempt will be my death knell as far as a Career in management is concerned. Hence, I'm unable to make a head start.

I need some advice on whether I should even consider giving GMAT a third time and what my strategy should be this time around.

A brief on my profile to give you'll a better insight.
I'm working with a very reputed product company in their software division as a developer. I have a little over 5 years of work ex. I'm looking at doing a 1 year MBA as opposed to a 2 year one. I'm at a stage in my career where I need to make the switch now or I'll have invested a lot more time in the technical field and a switch to a management role will be a difficult one to make.

I'll also be grateful if I could receive suggestions on any online prep courses for Quant because I feel I'm a tad better in Verbal than in Quant.

Thanks.

Hi Sowmya,
Well! I guess our profiles are similar but since you are a female, you have got less competition :) ..
Now, Could you tell us about how you have been preparing till now? What books? How did you study?
Your quant and verbal scores in both attempts?

What actually matters is quality over quantity as far as preparation is concerned.
I took ma gmat recently and scored less than what I used to get on mocks. So I am gonna take it again but I guess I was in a similar situation as you are in. So, maybe I could help..

Press kudos to encourage me :)

Regards,
Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern

Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 06:44
Hi Sachin,

I used MGMAT books for Quant.

For Verbal, I referred to Powerscore for CR and MGMAT for a few concepts on SC and RC.

As is evident, the preparations were nothing to gloat about and it reflected in my scores :oops:

I had scored a 670 and 650 on the two GMAT preps I had taken.

I took both my attempts about less than a month and half apart from each other.

It's been more than three months since I've given my 2nd attempt.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
distressedDamsel wrote:
Hi Sachin,

I used MGMAT books for Quant.

For Verbal, I referred to Powerscore for CR and MGMAT for a few concepts on SC and RC.

As is evident, the preparations were nothing to gloat about and it reflected in my scores :oops:

I had scored a 670 and 650 on the two GMAT preps I had taken.

I took both my attempts about less than a month and half apart from each other.

It's been more than three months since I've given my 2nd attempt.

Hi Soumya,
What were your scaled scores (quant and verbal)in your mocks and on the real tests?

MGMAT books are the best as far as Quant is concerned.
If you are around a 44 in Quant, then its pretty much sure that you know all the fundamentals of quant that is tested on GMAT.
To go from 44 to 49+, you would need to understand the nuances of tricks and traps set on GMAT.
Maintaining an error log will help you know the areas that you are weak and strong in and then you can systematically focus on your weak areas.

What is your target score? How much time do you have before you take your next attempt?

I would suggest you refrain from booking the slot until you see your target score on mocks.

For Verbal, how good are you in SC? This is an area which can be improved but needs a lot of practise.
I am not so strong in RC and CR but strength in SC helped me get a 34 on Verbal in my previous attempt.

Please Press kudos to encourage me. :)

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2176

Kudos [?]: 7772 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 07:22
Expert's post
What were your raw scores for Q and V?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 09:21
Hi,

Although I'm pretty embarrassed to disclose my scores, I'll do it anyway :oops:

Verbal - 36
Quant - 31

I'm planning to give myself at least three months and see my mock test scores before I book a slot. I'm targeting somewhere near May end or June 1st week.

I'm also planning on enrolling for the Magoosh GMAT Premium course. Does that make sense?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
Your Verbal score is not bad. You should emphasize on your Quant preparation. I would suggest you do MGMAT Quant thoroughly.
Try to concentrate on understanding the nuances/traps that GMAT questions contain.

You are confident about your Verbal and it is reflecting in your score. I scored less than you in Verbal and scored 700.
To improve in Quant should be your focus. If you haven't scheduled your next GMAT test, I would suggest you work hard on Quant for about 15 days to a month and once you gain some confidence, you can go ahead and schedule your GMAT test.

The most important thing is self-belief. Never lose that. Yes, you need to estimate your strengths and weaknesses in a realistic manner and you know your area of weakness is Quant. Try to practise with MGMAT Quant thoroughly and am sure you will improve in Quant. Once your Quant score improves, your overall score will definitely improve. Try to improve in Verbal as well so that you can see a great increase in your overall score.

I hope you will become an inspiration for others in improving score from 500+ to 700+.
Intern
Intern

Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 23:49
Thanks a lot for all the encouragement. I'm gonna start my prep again. Let's see how it goes.
Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt)   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 23:49