Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategies towards a perfect quant score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and already very impressed with the depth and quality of discourse found in this community. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute content which lives up to these standards.

I have noticed quite a few threads dealing with strategies on attaining mastery in the verbal section of the GMAT. At the same time, I see a significantly lower number of threads dealing with the quant, a section where people seem to be reaching near perfect scores with much less effort. Unfortunately, I am (currently) not one of them.

In my first GMAT attempt I got a 720, primarily due to my good verbal perfomance (46V / 44Q). However, I will be re-taking the test in order to achieve three goals:

* passing the 80% hurdle in the quant, which is equivalent to a 47+ score
* achieving an overall score of 750+
* improving my AWA score, which was a terrible 3.5 (I had only skimmed a few essay examples for this section and was highly unprepared)

A (near) perfect quant score has become the main focus of my study efforts. Thus, I would be very grateful if any of the quant high flyers could share some wisdom on how they prepared for that section (e.g. study materials used, time spent on different subsections of the quant etc.). I am currently using the OG 11 and Kaplan 800 to get there.

P.S. I won't be applying to business school until the end of 2008. Best of luck to those currently applying or already accepted!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 18:48
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with Tarmac...I got a 51Q, and I had to guess on at least a couple of questions. I think the best way to practice is to make sure you have ALL fundamentals set: exponents are especially KEY.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Kudos [?]: 82 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
I would encourage you to re-take the GMAT, not because of your 720 but because of your AWA score. I've heard anything below 4 or 4.5 is really frowned upon by the Adcom. While you're at it, may as well increase the quant score for good measure.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
I think it is practically impossible to guarantee a 51Q score. To get 49+ you will not only have to know everything but you will also need some luck. You will probably end up guessing on at least a few questions and you will need to guess mostly right.

If you already have a 720 (above average of every single ultra-elite school), personally I don't think it's worth another $250 to get 30 more points but if you really feel compelled, learn your probability, learn your sets, learn algebra back and forth.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [1] , given: 781

Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
Here are two threads that might help you make a decision.

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t30989
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t29703
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 18:42
This post received
KUDOS
Praetorian wrote:
Here are two threads that might help you make a decision.

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t30989
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t29703

Thank you Praetorian, this super helpful. I'll definitely sign up for the GMAT Challenges, they seem to do wonders for quant scores!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Really? I thought they didn't care at all what the AWA score was.

Saying that anything below 4.5 is frowned upon is like saying it's just as important as the other part of the test.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 15:54
Tarmac wrote:
If you already have a 720 (above average of every single ultra-elite school), personally I don't think it's worth another $250 to get 30 more points but if you really feel compelled, learn your probability, learn your sets, learn algebra back and forth.

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreaciate it.

I know that re-taking the test to improve a 720 score might not seem to be such a good idea at first sight. However, English isn't my native language, so the 3.5 AWA score would probably be frowned upon by the AdComs. I simply have to improve it. While I'm at it, it might as well try to achieve a quant score above 80%. Apparently, ultra-elite schools use this hurdle to determine whether prospective students can easily cope with their curriculum's coursework.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 13:24
Thanks again guys, your posts gave me a more realistic perspective on my goals.

Any further advice or other oppinions?
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 17:25
Tarmac wrote:
Saying that anything below 4.5 is frowned upon is like saying it's just as important as the other part of the test.

It doesn't make a difference in the sense that a 5.0 for one app vs a 6.0 for another app will make no difference. All you need to do is hit that 4.0 or 4.5 or higher.
But to get into a top school, you need excellent essays. If you have excellent essays that are far superior to your AWA essays (which the school can see), then that raises a red flag. Did you REALLY write those app essays?
Just in general my MGMAT teacher said score a 4.0 or higher and you should be OK in that regard. I would also say that AWA scores are more closely looked at for foreign applicants.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 12:04
The cutoff for the AWA is 4.0. It doesn't matter as long as you get to 4.0.

Schools care b/c if you can't put together a decent essay before the test, they question who actually is writing those pristine application essays?

btw, not knowing anything about your quant abilities, the difference between a 51 and a 44 in Q is HUGE. Again, not knowing anything about your background, I attack the basics then work my up to the Manhattan GMAT.
Re: Strategies towards a perfect quant score   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2008, 12:04