Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy for 50'th percentile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q38 V33
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Strategy for 50'th percentile [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 02:21
Hello,

May I request you to suggest if I am on the right path. Can you please let me know if this approach is productive and not time consuming. Thanks.

I took my diagnostic test 1.5 months ago and scored 440 (Q 20 %ile + V 19'th %ile). I expected my first month of preparation should give me 550 (Q 50 %ile + V 50 %ile) . But my first CAT after 1.5 month of preparation resulted in 460 (Q 25%ile + V15%ile).

In Quant, I maintained a level of 'medium questions' in the first 17 questions. Then I saw the time was running out. I rushed. Yet, I was offered some 'medium' and many 'low' till the 30'th question. With the last 7 minutes for the 7 questions, I nose dived with all the last 7 questions (6 medium+1 low) with wrong answers. The score was in 25'th %ile.

In Verbal, I scored more questions correct than quant, but the %ile dropped to 15 %ile. The reason was I raised up with most types of CR and SC, but long passages of RC tripped me down. I answered all the low questions correctly, but medium was not okay. Most of Medium and High were part of RC.

I have set my target for the upcoming month to reach 550. I believe 550 is the 50'th %ile and the middle line of the test takers. For a score of 550, how should the ideal graph look like? Should I never drop to Low questions? Should I receive more medium questions and correctly answer all medium questions? I believe all 'High' questions that I am given can be incorrect. Is that all right?

The next month strategy, to reach 50'th percentile, that I have thought is as follows.

Firstly, I observed that most times I slipped from medium to low because I did not prepare RC or Proportions very well. The weak point is more critical than a stronger area. So I am planning to focus on RC and Proportions.

Secondly (importantly), I am planning to prepare for only Low, Medium questions (No High at this moment), increase the skill level in these questions and decrease the time/question to less than 120 seconds. Would that be the right strategy for reaching the middle line of 50'th %ile (550) ?

Thanks,
Rajesh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Strategy for 50'th percentile   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2013, 02:21