Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy for retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Strategy for retake? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 09:37
After studying for 9+ months and burning out, I scored a 650 (Q44, V36) on the actual exam (despite scoring a 700 and 690 (both were about Q46, V40) a week prior on the GMAT prep exams for the two first tries). After this disappointment, I have rescheduled the exam for 7 weeks later (4 weeks remaining from today). For the past two weeks I did not study at all as I was severely burnt out and discouraged from the terrible test day performance, but then I retook a MGMAT CAT and scored a 740 (although there were a few repeat questions from old MGMAT CATs I took). I felt so refreshed and ready when I took this MGMAT CAT, and realized I was not "refreshed" during the actual test due to 9 months of hard study.

My strategy for the next 3-4 weeks will be to study 3-4 days a week (vs. the 7 days I had been studying for 9 months) and read RC passages and CR questions on my commute to work (~2 hours each day). During the 1st week I will work on weak quant areas and drill down on mostly easy to medium level problems to solidify my base. 2nd week - work on each area of verbal to solidify my base. 3rd week - take a practice exam to evaluate my ability and reassess my timing. 4th week - early in the week, touch on areas that have been a struggle for me and later in the week go through each of the types of problems at an easy level, very lightly. I feel that my ability is a 700 level, but it takes a refreshed and confident mind to get there. If anyone has suggestions or has been through a similar "burn out" situation please feel free to provide tips. Just to conclude, I will basically be taking an easier approach to this test (vs. my brutal, original approach of 3 hours of study daily for months and months) and not devote my life to it as I did before. Thank you for reading.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9398 [0], given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Strategy for retake? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 10:09
Expert's post
Have you seen this one?
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Darden '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Strategy for retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 19:43
I think that sounds like a good plan. If I were you, I wouldn't become too concerned with your one CAT score in week 3, as it'll just be one test and your CAT can fluctuate.
Re: Strategy for retake?   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2013, 19:43