Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Dec 2014, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

strategy for retaking the gmat????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

strategy for retaking the gmat???? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2007, 15:43
hi

my first time on the forum. i took my GMAT yesterday and did not too well. 590 overall. Scaled scores, Q40, V32. i did not finish either portion. i missed out on 7 questions from the math and 1 from the verbal. not a bad score on math considering everything i missed. piss poor score since i am considering the top ten schools.

fyi about moi. six years of work experience. 3.1 undergrad. 3.6 grad. non-native english speaker.

i know i have to learn to pace myself. actually, i need to be able to let go of a math problem if i spend more than three minutes on it.

my verbal could use a lot of polishing, especially the SC. my practice tests showed that i was doing fine on the CR and alright on the RC. but, my SC was worthless.

i am considering taking an intensive verbal prep course through veritas. any recommedations on that course or any other prep course? the veritas version lasts for two days, nine hours each day. i figure that i can jump into full blown book studying for verbal after that.

the books/exams that i want to get are:
MGMAT
gmatclub challenges
800 score test.
i keep seeing 1000CR and 1000SC but was unable to find those on amazon or google.

please feel free to make any other suggestions for the books. my strategy is to do as many full length practice tests to work on my time and; to work on all kinds of verbal questions that i can get my hands on through the books. i will not be going through too much review of the math portion in the books; just solving problems and seeing if i did them right. if i did them wrong, then i see how it is done and mark it for further review, if necessary.

i will most probably take the test in mid or late may. i appreciate any and all of your responses.

ps. i hate the noteboard. who's dang idea was that anyway?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2007, 16:06
I scored pretty much the same score you did and promptly enrolled (after a weekend of beer, of course) in the Manhattan GMAT online course. So far it is great!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2007, 16:27
looks like first thing you need to do is pace...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2007, 19:16
Quote:
i keep seeing 1000CR and 1000SC but was unable to find those on amazon or google.

Amazon and Google for the 1000 CR/SC docs?!! My good deed for the day. Here you go :-D
Attachments

SC_1000.doc [1.45 MiB]
Downloaded 51 times

To download please login or register as a user

CR_1000.doc [5.04 MiB]
Downloaded 61 times

To download please login or register as a user

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 06:33
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you need to be able to "let go of math problems," that's my biggest piece of advice to anyone taking the GMAT. Odds are anybody who takes the test, even someone with a 700 or a 770, is going to miss many problems. If you see a problem that looks really hard and you know it is going to take a ton of time to work through it and even then you might not get it right, just skip it.

My advice is to take at least five full-length practice tests before your next GMAT, work on your pacing.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 08:23
Looks like you were well under-prepared. I would suggest you take a lot of time before you sit for GMAT again. Practice timing. You have room for improvement in both verbal and quant. Learn all of the concepts and strategies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 11:21
I agree with Johnny. Play the GMAT like you would play chess - sacrifice a few pieces to win :-D
  [#permalink] 22 Feb 2007, 11:21